Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

Is there any good reason Stealth Rock is still around? I never really got into competitive games, but it just struck me as one of the most unfun mechanics possible (in addition to making quite a few 'mons completely unviable).

Stealth Rock is inconsequential in Doubles and that's the only competitive format Game Freak has cared about for years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

If nothing else I quite like the Elite Battle theme. One of the better songs from this soundtrack for sure.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Scarodactyl posted:

Yeah, the standard deviation is apparently pretty high.

Nah that's just the perspective playing tricks on you, clearly that's a normal-sized Jigglypuff as seen from above.

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 13, 2017

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

did they ever explain why we can put pokemon in computers

Probably the same technology that allows working teleporters.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

It's kind of sad that the only way to fairly deal with something this absurd is to use the exact same Pokemon with the exact same strategy.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Tiko's Inflagetah has a ridiculously good chance of OHKOing level 70 Pajays with Extreme Speed. You need maxed IVs and either nature or defense EVs just not get bodied instantly.

Once you get past that, it takes max investment and at least a Life Orb or Mystic Water to consistently 2HKO said Inflagetah with a super effective Hidden Power, and Choice Specs to get Air Slash to the same. No item boost dooms them to 3HKOs. A Flash Fire boost with Sun and Choice Specs can get Overheat to a OHKO.

This is all assuming 31 IVs in HP, Defense, and Special Attack at level 70 with a Modest nature. Anything else and you get the 1-perhaps-2 punch.

Would having Stealth Rock up shave a hit off of any of those 2HKOs or 3HKOs?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Haifisch posted:

What I'm getting from this is you should just throw a Kyogre at it.

Literally.

Hmm I wonder how most of the Ubers would fare against it actually.

Lugia could probably toxic stall it without too much issue so long as it can be whirlwind'd away if it tries to Swords Dance.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

A fitting end to a game of this caliber.

Now to see if this game's story continues to be as woefully predictable as it is.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

theGrooseofLegend posted:

Gonna throw out a random guess and say that our little edgelord here is Dick Solomon's Mom

Is it a random guess when it's been so obviously telegraphed it hurts?

I'll be more surprised if this isn't the case.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

We should have fought Theo and Theo should have walked onto the arena in some elaborately overdesigned but still kinda cool costume while hamming up the pre-battle dialogue with the battle taking place in some magical Technicolor outer space dimension.

Actually that is how all champion encounters in all Pokemon games should go come to think of it.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Its soundtrack was grating and the entire game post-Mother Brain was badly-designed, basically comprising one huge corridor wrapped around itself. AM2R is the best 2D Metroid by a comfortable margin, followed by Super Metroid and Fusion in whichever order you like.

I mean, I appreciate that Zero Mission recognized the importance of sequence-breaking to fans of the series, but at least for me, atmosphere and subtlety are far more important. Whatever Zero Mission is, it is not subtle.

AM2R isn't even remotely on Super Metroid's level.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

You know, a deep, small but not too small part of me was hopeful that this game wouldn't be building towards the most obvious conclusion but actually build towards something else, maybe play with our expectations a bit. Heck, even Game Freak managed to do that from time to time.

But nah, everything went exactly as expected. I suppose one can argue that as a Pokemon Game the story doesn't really truly matter and it's fundamentally a game about being a derelict 10-year old running around a large metropolitan region alone partaking in state-sanctioned street fights with potential world-ending murderbeasts, but this game forfeited that privilege by trying to play its premise straight from the get-go and establishing a tone that said [SERIOUS POKEMON STORY HERE] so forgive us for having expectations to match (along with the expectation that it'll fall short, of course)

All that said though, I didn't hate the game as presented and I quite liked a few things about it. It certainly doesn't seem completely unsalvagable like, say, Reborn. And who knows, maybe the postgame will deliver-- it's totally not going to deliver, is it. :eng99:

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 31, 2017

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Wow I hate literally everything about Lanthan's visual design. What a trainwreck.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Sorites posted:

I kind of like the idea of a trainer with an unavailable Pokemon.

It reminds me of the early, early days when Togepi and Marill Pikablu were mysterious and exciting specifically because they were outside the Pokedex. It made the world feel big, you know?

That said, the execution on this one was dorky.

Did Misty ever evolve that Togepi?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Waterfall of Salt posted:

She did and then she immediately released it because that's what happens in the anime with evolved mons.

Bye Bye Butterfree was a mistake.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

It's a jigglypuff as seen from above.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Please sweep Tiko with that Mawuh thanks a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

If this keeps going we're going to end up crowd-developing a fixed version of Uranium by accident.

• Locked thread