Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Quinntan posted:

He's actually in Galway, Ireland, making little indie games now.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/586310

At first I thought this was a reply to LAY-ZX's post and now I'm sad that Santa is not making little indie games in Galway :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Begemot posted:

I'm certain that was originally a technical limitation. Red and Green were held together with chewing gum and hope. When they brought Iwata in to help with G/S, he fixed so much stuff they were able to fit Kanto on the cart.

Yeah, pokemon save files were monstrously huge by gameboy standards. Gen 1 saves were probably comparable in size to the earliest and simplest GB carts.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

It's a reference to a really really bad 90's movie.

gently caress off, Surf Ninjas is amazing. It's easily Rob Schneider's best movie and Leslie Nielsen's 5th best movie (which is still pretty good)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

A review of this game I saw singled this out as a bad design.

Honestly, I don't think it looks terrible for a sentient boat creature (though as a Pokemon it's bad), it's just... why?

I can't really throw stones since I've had an idea for a ghost ship pokemon along very similar lines, but the Titanic part is... yeah.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

We need a Pokemon whose cry is the Wilhelm scream.

Dedextra, the Normal/Ghost pokemon

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Scarodactyl posted:

But what if we pushed it in the other direction?

(seriously though I was expecting something more like this from the description).

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Snopach is the other fossil. Instead of Zapnap's electric death, we could've had a cute but godawful rock/ice elephant.

Really cool original idea that is definitely not a halfass mashup of Donphan and Mamoswine. :coal:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rainuwastaken posted:

Wow, they really did not like the grass starter one bit, huh?

I like how they didn't actually put flowers on it, they just made its skin pattern be a grandma couch print. The final insult.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Gunshrimp is amazing, gently caress the haters

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Proud Rat Mom posted:

Is it wrong to think despite fan game jankiness and amateur writing, uranium is ok? Like the rest of you are treating it like it's super terrible but it seems pretty competent to me.

Begemot posted:

I can assure you that everything that makes it look competent is from the pokemon resource pack for rpgmaker. All the hard work of getting the basics of a pokemon game going were done ahead of time, by someone else, more than a decade ago.

Everything the devs actually did, the writing and level design and game balance and new pokemon, is terrible.

I mean... kind of? From a creative standpoint, Uranium represents a staggering amount of effort, drive--and, yes, even a fair bit of talent. Kit or no kit, assembling a game of Uranium's scope is no small feat. It's "ok" in that it's playable and in some sense that is itself a significant accomplishment and I think it's fair to recognize that.

From a player's standpoint, though, none of that really matters. Being an impressive labor of love doesn't actually make the game worth playing. If I want to play a janky Pokemon knockoff it's pretty easy to find something that scratches that itch better than Uranium--to say nothing of, you know, just playing actual Pokemon games.

Also, if the criticism seems unnecessarily harsh, remember that someone actually thought that this thing was something worth creating and sharing with the world:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

Memory was at a premium on the Pokemon cart because it was so crammed full of everything in that game. So when the Old Man teaches you how to catch a pokemon, it copies your name into the region encounter table, and changes the name register to "Old Man", when it's done it copies the region encounter table back into the Name Register.

And of course this event happened inside a town, so the theory was that it was OK to just treat the region encounter table as temporary free space since there were no random encounters in the area and as soon as you crossed the border into a new route it would reload the encounter table with the proper data.

The problem is, the encounter table doesn't get reset when you Fly to another city (because again, it's not expected that it would be used inside a city) and there happens to be a different city that accidentally had some tiles with random encounters available. So a weird but theoretically harmless space saving trick grows into a huge glitch due to a couple of other oversights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
but then no one will know what a cool and gritty and very adult writer you are

• Locked thread