Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Fairy is literally just "magic type" and magic beats dragons, y'all are thinking way too hard about this

Also there was creepy pokedex entry chat a couple of pages back but nobody posted my favorite one:

Jellicent's Black/Y/AS entry posted:

The fate of the ships and crew that wander into Jellicent's habitat: all sunken, all lost, all vanished.

Mustache kraken!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

holy hell

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

This is basically what tumblr was invented for, I think

krisslanza posted:

Also am I the only person who actually liked HMs?

Yes because nobody should actually like covering their Pokemon in awful moves that you can't get rid of just so you can progress through the game, especially now that SuMo has proven that there are perfectly viable means of getting past those obstacles without doing that. And don't bring up Surf and Waterfall, just because they're actually good attacks doesn't mean they excuse HMs as a concept.

e: Also Orange Fluffy Brother should definitely be allowed to continue giving things awful names

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

Honestly, all the HMs are decent except for Cut, Flash, and maybe Rock Smash. (We don't count Whirlpool, Gen 2's Greatest Sin.)

Defog. :colbert:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Capfalcon posted:

The Eevolutions killed me.

It was Slowpoke that did me in.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

I believe the explanation in Sun/Moon is that the travel Pokemon are specially trained for that, as an equivalent to service animals, which makes a reasonable amount of sense. Presumably your average goofball 12-year-old isn't going to be able to train his giant bird to safely fly passengers long distance, even if the Pokemon is theoretically capable of doing so.

This Machamp is specially trained to cuddle you just right while pushing heavy things

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

Would you want to be cuddled by an untrained Machamp while it's pushing heavy things? That sounds like a recipe for getting flexed into a pulp

Honestly it seems to me like the cuddling doesn't need to be part of the equation at all, but maybe I just don't know how to chill like the Alolans.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

flarp22 posted:

I think I remember reading somewhere that it was because Game Freak didn't want to give it Dragon subtyping because it would be super hard to break in Gen 1, where there was no Dragon STAB to speak of, and Magikarp were EVERYWHERE. Or maybe that was a theory I latched onto.

Actually it's because there just was no dragon type until the rear end end of development and flying was their go-to replacement for the concept. Charizard was the same deal.

e: Also the UBs have bizarre typings because they're supposed to be hosed up and wrong, that's kind of their Thing

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

CoffeeAvenger posted:

It's like Lisa Frank exploded on a humuhumu and gave it nightmarish teeth. :gonk:

Is it supposed to be a triggerfish? :raise: It looks more like a filefish.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

ShootaBoy posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who's favourite Pokemon is Zubat.

Bats are cute and great and Crobat owns so this seems like a pefectly serviceable opinion to me.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Am I the only one who has a dislike of the designs that look too mechanical/artificial?

Like what? Only examples I can think of are Porygon and its evolutions and if you're hating on lovely Polygon Bird I'm gonna have to get mad at the internet at you.

e: Oh poo poo the Klink line is a thing. You can hate that one if you want

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That's what I did in X/Y. I got my hands on a Manaphy, then stuck it in the Breeders with a Ditto and made a Phione-factory for wonder trading. Everyone gets a Phione! :buddy:

Shortly after X/Y released someone spent all day releasing hundreds of Gravelers named "Testicle" into wonder trade. I got one as did several other goons. I can honestly say I'd rather get wonder traded a Testicle than a Phione. You're a terrible person. :colbert:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

And yeah, copyright laws are an utter mess, and massively favor large companies over anyone else. A Marvel comic popped up early last year with artwork blatantly stolen from another company's IP - a company that is notoriously litigious about going after anything that even seems to be a violation of their IP. In a shocking twist they did not, in fact, go after Disney for the violation despite it being far more clear cut and blatant than 90% of the stuff they do go after.

Attempting legal action against Disney is something akin to taking on a Metal Gear with a butter knife. Though at the risk of derailing this thread again, I am curious about what this particular issue was.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

I will never not prefer the other one

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

"Galaxagos" is the best name for a thing I've ever heard in my life, oh my god

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Krilowatt is still more memorable than Stantler

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Aw, it's cute. And also a decent design pun.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

I like how in the discussion of the most digimon pokemon, genesect hasn't come up once.

Genesect isn't a Digimon, just an ancient Egyptian Metal Gear.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

What the hell are those abilities? Speed Boost is strictly better than Motor Drive, why does it get one or the other on a coin flip? The only purpose that has is to poo poo on people who got unlucky and weren't digging around for information on the game.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

WrightOfWay posted:

Motor Drive also gives immunity to electric so it's not strictly worse, just mostly worse.

I didn't know Motor Drive came with immunity, I guess that makes it...marginally better?

Dr Subterfuge posted:

It's not like the actual games don't do that. Bewear: Coin flip between a clumsy bear who can't use items vs a fluffy bear that resists every contact move in the game in exchange for a weakness to fire.

But those aren't two abilities that do the same thing, except one of them more consistently.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

yeah i'm sure the ability to convert any amount of matter into pure energy to store in tiny balls to be recalled at anytime is only a few decades away

That's not even technology, actually, it's naturally occurring. Apricorns were the original Pokeballs, used since ancient times!

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Bob Smith posted:

So is this "Arceus is a god of the Pokemon World" actually something from the games because if so, the idea that a small child can walk around with god in their balls amuses me, and is also not wholly out of the question for Pokemon.

Its Pokedex entry says that it created the universe, so.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

CoffeeAvenger posted:

Perishroom if fainted (which, while the concept is edgey, looks freaking hilarious):

This is a cute idea, but it also annoys me, because doesn't this mean they changed the rules of how evolution works? In the official games, if a Pokemon hits a level to evolve but then faints and isn't revived by the end of the battle, doesn't it just not evolve? Removing that limitation for the sake of a single Pokemon seems bizarre. Or am I just misremembering and complaining at this silly dead mushroom for no reason?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

Nuclear arbok is one of the few good things about this game. :colbert:

it has the wrong loving symbol on it

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Raserys posted:

I hope you mean May/Brendan because OR/AS made Wally good

The showdown in the field of roses with the triumphant anime music owns

His Pokemon have given him the strength and courage to fight. He has to win for their sake. :japan:

ORAS Wally is my favorite rival in the whole series. Little cancer dude turns into an anime protagonist because POKEMON

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Pokemon Special is super magical and perfect because it has things like this

and this

Waaaay back when I first read it I couldn't find the R/S arc so I stopped after Crystal, I should go see if I can pick it back up.

e: I guess I was beaten on the Mewtwo spoon while I was trying to find the picture of the Mewtwo spoon. Oops.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Ronch and Mawuh are great and all but I think Staropter isn't getting enough love

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

I must've been playing different versions of these games than y'all because I don't remember any of this poo poo

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Edginess aside I also like the Kurian Buneary line.

e: Oh my god mega land-form Shaymin is adorable, I want one

LAY-ZX fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 2, 2017

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

The biggest problem with a "sound" type is that there are existing sound moves with non-normal types that make sense with them. Bug Buzz is the sound a bug makes, it shouldn't be anything other than bug type but it's still a sound-based attack. Same for Metal Sound and Grass Whistle. The other issue comes with what Pokemon get the type. There's Exploud line, Noivern line, Chatot, Meloetta...and that's about it. You could make an argument for Vibrava/Flygon as well but that line has enough typing issues as-is.

Gyra_Solune posted:

Sometimes I sorta think a Fossil or Ancient or Relic type would be neat too since I just think Rock is weird for all of those.

B-but all of the fossil Pokemon are literally made of stone

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Zore posted:

There are a bunch of other sound based pokemon though? Kricketune line, Jigglypuff line, Seismetoad line, Lapras, Chimeco line, Crobat line...

Granted not all would or should be retyped, but :shrug:

Fair, I didn't think about it that hard. The moves are really the bigger issue, though, I think.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Vorpal Cat posted:

I never understood why dark was special in the first place. I mean what part of a punch of underhanded evil monsters that like to beat up and steal from people screams special type to the designers? I mean it made by a freaking special mover for 2 gens, which is just silly.

edit: Plus there main reason for existing, balance wise, is ruining the day of psychic types, who are mostly know for having good special defense not regular defense.

Eevee evolves into it so it has to be special

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

My favorite thing about Dunseraph is that it's not even a seraph

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Gyra_Solune posted:

and name it after an internet meme so old that it could be a fossil pokemon

I bet you go around telling children Santa isn't real

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Straight White Shark posted:

At first I thought this was a reply to LAY-ZX's post and now I'm sad that Santa is not making little indie games in Galway :(

Is John Romero actually Santa? Could this be the puzzle???

LAY-ZX fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 5, 2017

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

EclecticTastes posted:

But for real, how does Linkite work? It's been asked before, but I still want to know, does the ball it's attached to get captured with it, does it get bound to the new ball, does its previous ball somehow just convert over? If this were an official game, by the way, I could maybe see an oddball gimmick Pokemon that somehow incorporates its own Poke Ball into its design and such, but it would have different forms based on what you caught it with, and maybe wild ones would have, like, a rock or something as a stand-in. They'd do something with the idea, essentially.

You're thinking way too hard about this. It's a ball and chain with Pokeball colors. Many Pokemon have accessories.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

DeafNote posted:

as I said before
knowing what the Uranium evolution looks like, it shows that the game creator had a strong disagreement with Nintendo on this one

I just looked it up, and at least the idea seems fine? I always thought it seemed like that line was a subtle poke in that direction anyway. Ugly-rear end sprite though.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

To be fair - At least to Energizate, since Irradiate would obviously work much better for the other one - Aerilate isn't a word either.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Well not quite, since it didn't copy MEGAWEAPON's bonus speed, so he's still going first and he's kind of a glass cannon when it comes to a backhoe dragon crashing into him.

Wait, what? Did they nerf Transform or does MEGAWEAPON have some kinda of special thing I forgot about that isn't copied by it?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

Transform doesn't copy stat changes.

Yes it does. An Imposter Ditto with a Scarf wrecks setup sweepers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Toraen posted:

Speed Boost doesn't trigger if you gained it partway through the turn or if you switched in that turn.

Oh, that makes sense.

• Locked thread