Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
One of the important things to mention about the UI is WHY it's so important to show all the moves.

"Ok charmelaeiouion use fire blast!" "use fire blast" "use fire blast" "use fire blast" "wow I might as well just put this in my first slot and never use anything else, fireblast fireblast fireblast fireblast"

In comes hitmonpunchyouinthefaceandkillyou well what option do you have, fireblast is in big bold letters in the center of the screen and that's what you're so used to using you just don't care, you'll kill him in one shot
you then get ded

Your fourth move that you never use? Will o' wisp, the "burn and also reduce the atk of your opponent by half" move that is amazing but doesn't do damage, which might have reduced his atk enough to survive and not die.

Presenting all the options at the same time is a way of reminding the player that these things that they have that they never use exists so they have a CHANCE of being used in opportune situations. Presenting one just makes them completely forgotten about.

Edit: good summary actually, looks pretty, form has to follow function though

Forer fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

if I get assigned a sprite can I just have epee em do it for me?

can I have him do all of them?

Edit: all the ones that aren't done by everdraed I mean

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

Tracton has really bad 4 move slot syndrome. It really wants Ice Fang for Landorus-T, Fire Fang for Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor and Drill Run for Heatran and only has one spare moveslot. And no matter what it runs it will always be walled by Hippowdon and Skarmory.

That's the problem though, It's a pokemon so strong, it's not a matter of 'oh x or y or z pokemon can stop it', it's that you need to explicitly counter it like excadrill. It's a pokemon that would define the game and would be talked about as a thing that exists and is powerful, not like dodrio where it's like "why does this guy even exist? what weird gimmicks would we be able to exploit to even give this guy a fighting chance?"

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

This is why I hesitated on giving a specific pokemon name, because I knew whatever pokemon I listed from changes in SM did people would be like "yeah that pokemon is good!"

Point is it's like Hydreigon in BW. When you're trying to setup a team you're not thinking of every single pokemon in the universe you could have to fight, you're thinking of the big name overpowered dudes and figuring out how your group is going to have an answer to it. Don't got something to deal with Excadrill? Sorry you miiiight have some problems.

MEGAWEAPON's not a question of if your opponent is going to use it, it's how to stop it when it appears.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

That mechanic seems really funny just because the message of the pokemon games really comes down to "hey no no no we're not doing a dogfighting thing, these pokemon want to be with us and our friends, and by cooperation and teamwork along with good strategy we can win!"

vs Colosseum which seems to be "STEAL YOUR ENEMIES POKEMON MAKE THEM HATE EVERYTHING AND THEN RUN THEM RAGGED UNTIL THEY'RE NOT USEFUL! THEN fix them and let them return to normal society as if nothing happened"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

ZeroCount posted:

Bite being Dark never really made any sense to me.

Biting is like suckerpunching, it's foul play and that's one of the themes of dark

• Locked thread