Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Explosions posted:

This looks... endearing? I guess I can understand all the hostility if they led people to expect "Pokemon, but we did it RIGHT not like those LOSERS at NinLAMEno," and instead put out Kaizomon, but as xtreme fanhacks go this one looks honestly kind of adorable.

You're in for some disappointment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

marshmallow creep posted:

So do the kind of people who make these games only expect them to be played by people like themselves and OFS? Throwing busted garbage at the player to punish them for not being omniscient or doing exhaustive trial and error research seems to be a thing with a lot of fangame makers.

This is a common problem in romhacks (or in this case, a fangame) that aim to raise the difficulty. Typically, they're made by people who are really dedicated to the original game, and thus have a tendency to know all the game mechanics inside-out. Since you're gonna create the game you want to play, this means hackers have a natural tendency to build the game on the assumption that the player knows the game inside-out too.

Even if the game advertises itself as such, there's still a lot of work that needs to be put in to make it a well-designed game. Just the stat screen in the OP alone demonstrates pretty well that this is not a well-designed game.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
post your entire spreadsheet but first save it as a csv and then open it in notepad

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

hopeandjoy posted:

SuMo being easy is a weird complaint to me because even with EXP Share on and me being a Pokemon veteran, I still wiped (several times even!) to a few of the bosses, which normally never happens to me.

But maybe I'm just bad at video games.

I also found SM to be a step up in difficulty from previous games. I don't think I ever completely wiped, but the endgame had me sweating bullets and I had to use a ton of revives and full restores to clear it.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Kinda juvenile, but this is the franchise with Stunky, a skunk with a butt for a face whose cry is a fart sound.

And for these reasons, it is objectively the best Pokemon :colbert:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
It's all a ripoff of Animal Husbandry when you really think about it

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I wanted to name Barlew "Feminist Alloy" but of course that doesn't fit

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Good golly miss molly would you just look at this text box

Using a tilde as punctuation should be equivalent to a traffic violation. Cramming it in with other punctuation nonsensically should be jail time.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

krisslanza posted:

From what I recall of the Pokemon manga, this is actually canonically how gym leaders work as well.
Although as mentioned, the bigger issue with the idea is all the wild Pokemon and trainers in those areas would also have to be level adjusted, which is a bit of an issue. Because who wants like, dynamic-style level scaling like Oblivion in a Pokemon game?

This is definitely how it works in the Pokemon Origins series, which helped the world feel a lot more organic. Unfortunately I don't really see a practical way to implement that in the games

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I tried to do mono-poison in gen 1

Take a wild guess where I got stonewalled

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Dragonatrix posted:

Not a surprise, since there is exactly one way you CAN play FFT1.3 and it's the most boring and tedious thing in the world. And doing anything else makes it impossible anyway. He doesn't exactly have a good track record by making entertaining things actually be, y'know, entertaining.

I find that FFT 1.3's battle design suffers from the exact same problem that Pokemon Uranium does: The designer has a very specific solution to the game in mind, and if you can't figure it out, gently caress you.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Alacron posted:

Likewise, both are better if you cheat and cut out the grind. OFS programmed cheap Rare Candy into the first shop so he wouldn't have to grind on random mons, and the old 1.3 thread cheated to make JP grinding a non-issue.

I remember the specific thing that made FFT 1.3 cross over from "insane but potentially interesting hack" to "active dickery": When somebody discovered a way to circumvent FFT 1.3's batshit insane leveling method (without cheating; it was a bizarre exploit just like the intended FFT 1.3 leveling method), the designer messed with the code to get rid of it. Rather than embracing players figuring stuff out, he demanded that people play the way he wanted them to.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Watermine is a good name. That is all.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Hammurabi posted:

Anyone who didn't choose bulbasaur in first gen is legit an awful human being and I unironically think less of them.

Actually cool kids user their starter to catch a trash Pokemon in the first area and then deposits it.

Ratata is the one true starter

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Burger Flipper posted:

In honor of his name, I made a lovely edit for the main character's sprite

This is much funnier than it has any right to be

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Rangpur posted:

Kool Animal Factizzles: not only is eucalyptus poisonous to just about everything other than Koalas, it's also complete garbage nutrition-wise. Koalas preserve their ecological niche p. much by being the only animal that can live off the stuff. Of course it's not a diet that allows for much activity, which is why they're such lazy little shits. Stupid entitled drop bears.

Eucalyptus is so nutritionally deficient that koalas are pretty drat stupid as a result. If you pluck eucalyptus leaves for a koala and set them in front of the animal, they won't figure out how to just pick them up and eat them.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Straight White Shark posted:

My bet is still on "nursing decades-long grudge against grass starter after losing to playground friend as a kid."

In all fairness, if I were to design a Pokemon game, I'd give all psychic types dumpster stats and also if you ever use one your handheld lights on fight and punches you in the nose

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

PMush Perfect posted:

Edit I mean, bad music alone wouldn't be enough to make a great game bad (see Shining Force 2), but when there's already so much working against it, it's hard to be forgiving.

Not only is the Shining Force 2 soundtrack great, but this is easily one of the best tracks in the entire game

Also I had forgotten that Steel resists Nuclear and Poison is not effective against it. Why on earth would they take the best defense type and worst offensive type and reinforce that even further?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that the yin-yang is a symbol of Daoism, which is distinctly not Zen Buddhism. Granted, Daoist thinking influenced Chan Buddhism, which became Zen Buddhism when it spread to Japan, but man those are some pretty serious degrees of separation.

Also those Australian pokemon rule.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Extra Credit grossly misunderstands things tangentially related to video games, what else is new

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm genuinely curious about your feelings on this. We usually seem to agree, but I'm a big big fan of Extra Credits, and usually take any excuse I can get to link to Extra History.

I've seen two videos by Extra Credits. One was him taking six minutes to say "Destiny is milquetoast enough that it's mildly appealing to a broad audience". The other was six minutes of him ostensibly talking about how to balance games, but actually just revealing that he has zero understanding of competitive anything.

Also the voice modulation is annoying.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

krisslanza posted:

The fact they said "~ = Uguu" annoys me. A 'tilde' in the sense of a word shouldn't be a word replacement. If you want her to say "Uguu~" just have her say Uguu~. A tilde is meant to indicate, usually, some kind of inflection or sort. It's a modifier of the way you say something, not a substitute for a word! ARGH! :psyduck:

That aside, this League idea isn't... bad, actually.

Using a tilde as punctuation should be punishable by having all your fingers broken, if not death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm on the side that Adam is lame and annoying in a very masturbatory way, but then again after Major/Minor I've been warped and twisted in ways I can never recover from

• Locked thread