Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ibblebibble posted:

Didn't the Skitty family have Normalize in gen 3?

Yeah, but its a different kind of ability. No power boost for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, its already been way longer since D/P's release than it was between R/G's release and FR/LG's release.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dabir posted:

Not that I think you're wrong about Life Orb, it's a very important and good item, but gen 3 Choice Band applied to all moves.

No, it always only boosted Attack. It said it 'powered up a specific move' but the effect has been consistent since it was introduced.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Glazius posted:

Stupid question, but without the power to unlock mega evolutions, the mega stones actually do jack dick for whatever's holding them, right?

Correct

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Life Orb's existence makes a lot of Mega stones pointless in competitive play.

Not that many tbh, since most Mega-evos are worthwhile for their abilities more than the raw stat increases. Alakazam and a few others for sure though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Storywise, is this supposed to be the Garlickid we fought way back?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Not understanding the phrasing on Last Resort. Only usable if user has used all other moves once a turn? Do they just mean used once this battle?

Yeah, you have to use all 3 other moves at least once in the battle before you can use it.

Or cheese it by only having Last Resort in your movepool. I'm a little surprised Uranium didn't do this tbh.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

I'm pretty sure the starters' second stage BSTs are on par with the final ones for the conventional games, not to play devil's advocate or whatever.

They're higher across the board than any official starter.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

mercenarynuker posted:

So the most I've ever played Pokemon is super casual singleplayer Red. What the gently caress does it mean when a move increases something by a "stage"? Does a 100 [STAT] become a 101? A 110? Something completely different?

A stage is 50% of base. If you go up a full 6 stages its at 400% of where you started.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I love that he hosed up so bad he got an early retirement and spent a decade under an assumed name, working as a janitor and starting a family he never told his real name to, so he could keep investigating.

Theo's 10 right? Dude got busy right after he got kicked out of Interpol.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Gollom posted:

We're kind of scraping bedrock here, how much more downhill can we go?

I'm not being glib, I actually really want to find out!

Are you familiar with the term 'mantle'?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea that was the main villain of gen 6's big plan

maybe gen 4 as well but I'm not sure

gen 3 had the villains remarkably determined to kill themselves and everyone around them as well but that wasn't intentional on their part. they were just idiots

Gen IV has Cyrus trying to literally end the universe and remake it in his own image so it counts even if it isn't super explicit.

Gen V also has Ghetsis go pretty crazy and literally flashfreeze a town at one point. And he threatens to kill the player with a Pokemon before N swoops in and saves you.

Gen VI also has, as a character, someone who dropped basically a nuke 3000 years in the past which explicitly killed thousands and was cursed to be 9 feet tall and immortal wandering around. Az is loving weird.

Gen VII reverted back to mostly petty crime, creating chimeras and horrific child abuse.

Zore fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 7, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Begemot posted:

I can assure you that everything that makes it look competent is from the pokemon resource pack for rpgmaker. All the hard work of getting the basics of a pokemon game going were done ahead of time, by someone else, more than a decade ago.

Everything the devs actually did, the writing and level design and game balance and new pokemon, is terrible.

Even the UI is terrible. I still have issues making out the health bars because of the bizarre way they're presented.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

vorebane posted:

The mom plot I want from a pokemon game is: Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary about mom -> mom was actually a bit of a trainer in her youth and sends you hms and such a bit early -> mom is in fact a badass trainer who helps stop the Team Rocket analogue -> MOM WAS THE CHAMPION ALL ALONG :gonk:

Yeah, they've had your mom be extremely famous before (Contest master, Rhyhorn racing champion) and you could compete against her in a contest but it would be rad as hell if they made one the champion.

The one time you had a dad you got to beat him up in a gym battle!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You can talk about those lame Alolan forms in the general thread. This game has much cooler alternate forms in unreliable glass cannon edgy recolors. :smug:

OFS the people demand Nuke-Nuke. Clearly the pinnacle of alternate form glass pistol recolors.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Seaogre posted:

Can you actually compete in Rhyhorn racing? Because I only found one segment where you ride a very slow Rhyhorn in X, no actual racing. It felt very disappointing since your mom being a super famous racer was brought up multiple times in the main game, including being the entire reason Sycamore even bothers with you.

No, sorry, you can compete against your mom in Master-rank Super Contests in D/P/P and she's a judge of some contests there. I realize the sentence was a bit ambiguous.

X/Y just has people gushing about how cool your mom is and a few people creeping on her.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ariong posted:

Wait, I just realized something. Is there a Nuclear Gyarados, but not a Nuclear Magikarp?

Yeah, the Nuclear Gyarados is a special 1/off encounter during the... second? meltdown.

It also doesn't follow the normal rules for Nuclear pokemon since it obeys you innately like Nucleon and Top Boy Hazma.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

How dare you question Pokemon Uranium's quality! I'll have you know it took nine whole years to create such a master piece. I bet you're some Nintendo shill trying to besmirch the good fan praised brand of Uranium.

Just like how Nintendo rushed out a major franchise entry and multi-million dollar game just to take the wind out of the sails of plucky little Uranium.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Especially when a whole bunch of the random trainers have pokemon with no hold items and the default level-up movepools

:psyduck:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Mega Inflagetah's base stat distribution is 85/145/80/80/90/175. Its mostly a case of extremely lopsided stats.

Which, we should remember, are basically Deoxys-S stats if it just got a bunch added into HP/Attack and uh lost 5 in speed.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Scintilla posted:

Reading about Science Team's incompetence was one of the best things about the Prime trilogy.

My favorite is when you scan the logs about trying to replicate the morph ball.

:stonklol:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Super Metroid is very hard to play now after Fusion/Zero mission. The controls feel really awkward, especially diagonal aiming, and theres just a bunch of really annoying minor stuff that builds as you play.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I like how in the end our dad was a loving moron because his wife was evil all along anyways before she 'died'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Unknown Quantity posted:

I mean, I always figured the best way to do such a thing would be to have, within the fiction, each gym leader have multiple sets of pokemon, and which one it uses is based on how many badges the challenger has, between zero and seven. 2 mons for 0-1, 3 mons for 2-4, 4 mons for 5-7, generally get a base of level 10 or so +/-2, add +5 per badge, and now your last badge challenge is around the 45s, which sets up perfectly for the Elite 4 being around 50 and the Champion being around 55. Considering the later games would gate what items were available for sale based on the amount of badges you had, I don't think it'd be that unreasonable a concept.

The only real issue is how to handle wild pokemon unless they scale with you up to the recommended level of the gym, and the plot would have to be able to happen pretty much anywhere or give you real incentive to go back somewhere you wouldn't ordinarily go back to. Or it could just not have a plot and be a sandbox adventure.

This is explicitly a thing in the lore according to Cheren in BW2

• Locked thread