Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
My all-time favorite dumb pokedex fact is that, if you do the math, Wailord is less dense than air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

KataraniSword posted:

A literal whale blimp.

The one true tragedy is that it can't learn Self-Destruct or Explosion, despite what you'd think if you were ever around a dead beached whale or a hindenburg.

Apparently it is possible to get one with SelfDestruct, but you've got to use the move tutor in fuckin' Pokemon XD and then transfer it all the way up to a modern game.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Straight White Shark posted:

Nope, bug bing awful offensively is pretty much just for flavor reasons. Historically bug tends to have bad stats and weak attacks, so facing so many resistances is just kicking them while they're down.

To be fair, Bug also has some great resistances, and being Super-Effective against Psychic and Dark does help to secure a solid niche. It's been a loooong time since I've played competitively, but I always had a lot of success with Bug-Types like Scizor and Yanmega.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

krisslanza posted:

From what I recall of the Pokemon manga, this is actually canonically how gym leaders work as well.
Although as mentioned, the bigger issue with the idea is all the wild Pokemon and trainers in those areas would also have to be level adjusted, which is a bit of an issue. Because who wants like, dynamic-style level scaling like Oblivion in a Pokemon game?

Clearly they should make it like New Vegas, where you'll get your poo poo kicked in if you take the wrong turn off Route 1 :v:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
The (Original) appeal behind Nuzlocke runs was that they're a way of forcing you to use Pokemon you wouldn't ordinarily use, and it adds a bit of challenge to a system that's fairly easy to exploit for veteran players. On the whole, it's a fun way to blaze through the game if you don't mind grinding a bit more and don't take it too seriously.

Unfortunately, the internet is full of people who take things too seriously, which is why Uranium exists.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Classy Hydra posted:

We have two separate pokemon based on ferrets. They don't even have a gimmick, they're just ferrets. One might be a polecat.

Animals have gone too far.

And yet we still don't have a dolphin! Gamefreak! :argh:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Lol if an inanimate carbon rod isnt the legendary

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
It's been a while since I've played competitively but hahahahaha, jesus loving christ those stats and those movepools

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I do want to say how mad I am how each of these nuclear power plants keep exploding spectacularly. NUCLEAR POWER DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY :argh:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Some Numbers posted:

This derail is truly something awful.

gas the thread, we're done here

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

ulmont posted:

In the US I've never heard anything other than "El Camino" (after one of the earlier brands) used to refer to what you are calling a "small ute" (i.e., a car body with a pickup back).

The Ute (Short for Utility Coup, apparently) as a concept started in Australia back in the '30s, as a way to have a car that could "Go to church on Sunday and bring the pigs to market on Monday," and has stayed pretty popular there even after the brief American love affair with the Ford Ranchero and the Chevy El Camino died in the '70s. Just less demand for that kind of vehicle in the States, especially when pickup trucks are already ubiquitous.

Except, IIRC GM was actually going to bring the El Camino back in the late 2000s as a rebaged Holden Ute, until the stock market crash happened and the company had to drastically restructure itself to avoid total bankruptcy :argh:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

ulmont posted:

...and when an El Camino looks as ugly as homemade sin.

you take that back you son of a bitch the El Camino is beautiful

fake edit: okay maybe not the later ones

Late '70s/early '80s were not a good time for cars

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

I'm sorry you don't appreciate the inherent sublimity of business in the front, party in the back

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

mandatory lesbian posted:

the actual games pokedex says slugma's skin is hotter then the sun, you should probably just relax

Let's also not forget my favorite fact, that Wailord is less dense than air

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Every game has stuff that's cut or excised at various points in development. The trick is how well you hide it, or how well the rest of the game stands up, so that nobody notices.

Of course, the problem with most fangames is that there's plenty of stuff that should have been cut, but weren't because they're not professional game devs and aren't working on a schedule where cuts seem necessary.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Just caught up on the LP and ahahahahaha, what a goddamn trainwreck of a finale. Godspeed OFS for playing through this complete mess, it's truly a sight to behold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Absolutely loving incredible

• Locked thread