Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Dr. Fetus posted:

There's a reason why Pokemon doesn't pull game overs and instead boots you back to a certain point. Avoiding unwinnable situations (At least very easily accessible ones) is especially important when the player has the ability to save anywhere. Just pulling off something like that is just failing basic game design.
Continuing the Ghetsis example, there's a PC somewhere in the castle, or a grunt who teleports you back to the Pokemon center, or something like that. Even in Sun/Moon, when you enter Ultra Space you can have Nebby take you back. There's always a way to backtrack to a box.

Also these are games balanced for children, so even things that are relatively hard can be beaten by whatever dudes you happened to pick up along the way. And item spam is always an option, and basically nothing outside postgame content is mean enough that you can't get ahead that way.

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if the devs thought Urayne being that overpowered was actually cool and good and the kind of difficulty real gamers want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
They got the order of operations of "how to build a sympathetic villain" wrong. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea I remember that too and was kinda expecting the same
I was waiting for when Dick Solomon inevitably got to catch the ghost of his dead mom because it's a Pokemon now. What we got instead was somehow exactly as disappointing as I expected, but somehow also even more disappointing.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

FR/LG annoyed the poo poo out of me for exactly the reasons above; it's one thing to remake an older game, but remaking it almost exactly the same as it was, just with shinier graphics and not fixing any of the problems it had kind of defeats the point!

Yes, I'm still annoyed as gently caress over loving Rock Smash still being an HM in ORAS, what of it. There was no reason for it to be a goddamn HM other than 'well it was in RSE and change is scary :saddowns:'
This is also why HGSS is bad. FRLG just didn't have following Pokemon to distract people from it. :v:

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 31, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Reminder that for half the game, there wasn't an antagonist.

And there were so many better things it could have been. Urayne going out of control and wrecking power plants because it's hungry & not because someone is telling it to, your intentionally evil mom ruining the region for Reasons(that aren't 'I went mad in a stasis pod'), etc.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It's similar in concept to the Pokemon World Tournament from Black/White 2, except:

1)The PWT was only mandatory once, and predetermined who you'd battle.
2)The PWT wasn't substituting for the Elite 4.
3)The PWT has you pick from several pre-set lists of opponents(all involving Gym Leaders and Champions) and randomized from there, instead of being completely random each time.
4)There's not a random trainer who's super difficult to beat.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It's also possible they handpicked playtesters who'd kiss their asses enough to only report literal bugs instead of terrible game balance.

Fan game makers love their "it's a feature, don't play it if it's too hard for you lol" echo chambers.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
That said their levels were a soft guide as to the 'right' order.

Still better than what happened in GSC/HGSS, where the level curve was totally flat in the section you could do in different orders.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Stroth posted:

It's literally just this rear end in a top hat's team. Who names all of their pokemon to a single theme?
How else are you supposed to think of six names for your playthrough? :confused:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The final pokemon is a watering can stomping on a human face, forever.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

GeneX posted:

It is 100% a parody that swings between edgy stuff, dated memes, and forced melodrama.
So it's a typical fangame, just with the writers stating it's supposed to be a parody.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Goon projects only succeed when they're started by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

MR. J posted:

There's quite a few shiny pokemon where it's just a very slightly darker/lighter shade of their original.

Guess which one's the shiny.

• Locked thread