Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

homeless hungry plz help posted:

Yknow as much as people like to freak out over Tracton, I think it's really as threatening as it is because of where it's placed in the game. It has a great set of abilities and typing, but I'm not wholly convinced it'd be great competitively.

oh wait it has Swords Dance?

oh wait it has Drill Run instead of Earthquake but it still gets Swords Dance?

...well I guess if you want to run Swords Dance you're walled by Skarmory unless you forgo Drill Run for Fire Fang, at which point you're walled by Heatran. But those are two things. Two things that you're not going to be running in a casual play-through of a game more than likely.

I don't much care for Tracton.

How does Skarmory threaten it meaningfully? It's immune to toxic and totally willing to spam stat ups until it gets strong enough to beat up Skarmory through the defenses. Am I just not up to date on Skarmory sets and I'm missing that Skarmory learns Seismic Toss or something to win a damage race?

E: Wait does it just run it out of PP with Roost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Added Space posted:

"This game is bad because it focuses on hardcore fans."

*two pages of technical discussion on the merits of a backhoe dragon*

The problem is, this is what you have to do to counter it. You don't need some special set or trick to make this thing rampage over a normal team, if you gave this pokemon to a gym leader with AI more sophisticated than "act randomly" they could wipe your entire team if you didn't specifically have a counter set up or were very very overlevelled in a game that's stingy with exp. You can't even wear it down 1v6 because it's a speed threat and kills you before you can get a shot in. Considering that they have the contrary overheater, "the fourth gym might have three of these" is a real concern.

Also I fail to see the issue in complaining that a game is aimed too much at a certain demographic and then also criticising how successfully it is as that.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

loquacius posted:

That's the weirdest part about this: that a fan project that started on 4chan is not only good but demonstrably better than the most prominent non-4chan equivalent

That's not actually that unusual, as long as devs wise up enough to move off of it being "a 4chan project" once they have a team together it's not the worst place to find nerds who can make games.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not a huge fan of the part in X/Y where you battle all your friends, because while yes, Tierno probably could beat you in a dancing battle, everyone involved knows he's going to lose in a pokemon battle. It just feels like they went "they're your rivals you gotta fight them at some point."

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

The friends thing in X/Y got a little easier to swallow once I recontextualized: You're the rival. You're the Gary Motherfucking Oak to Serena's Ash. You're just a bit less of a dick about it.

Gary doesn't win the league in the anime, and in the games while he beats you to every gym, he also loses to you every time you fight (normally anyway, I think you can maybe lose some of those fights and still continue, I don't remember). In neither is Gary the one having climactic 1v1s with the leader of the evil team. The player character is not the rival because playing a game where all you do is oppose the person who's actually involved in the story until they eventually beat you in a heartwarming character arc wouldn't be a great idea. Usually people like it when you get to play the protagonist.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PureRok posted:

You're always the rival. Because real rivalry works both ways.

I feel like a lot of Pokemon rivalries are pretty one-sided. Is it even possible to lose those pokedex battles in X/Y? I saw someone winning them on a nuzlocke run which seems pretty telling.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I really don't like trade evos even in official games, because either you're getting a fully evolved pokemon and missing out on the earlier stages, or you're trading it and then trading back which then becomes a binary "do you have a friend with the game" check. I'm not fond of how breeding is basically necessary to get "optimal" pokemon either, especially when it's to get something vital like an important egg move or an ability rather than just a good nature or IVs. Anything that interferes with the "I caught this pokemon on route 2 and it's my buddy for the whole game!" style narrative irks me because it undercuts some of the charm and the friendshipy message the games are always trying to have.

Of course that's not in Uranium so maybe "give away your friends to make them stronger" fits in. :v:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Proud Rat Mom posted:

Is it wrong to think despite fan game jankiness and amateur writing, uranium is ok? Like the rest of you are treating it like it's super terrible but it seems pretty competent to me.

But it's taking the main gameplay directly from something else. Like this isn't some indie game that's fun despite it's flaws, it's a derivative where basically everything unique to it is bad. It doesn't get points for failing to stop pokemon being basically fun.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rainuwastaken posted:

Care to mention any in particular? Not that I don't believe you, but other than AM2R I can't think of any fangames I'd say were great. I'd be interested in playing some.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: The 7th Stand User is really good and is so convincingly made to look like a gameboy game that I actually wondered if it was a ROM for a game I'd never heard of until I got far enough into realize there's no way it'd ever fit on a gameboy cart. Grief Syndrome is very good at what it's trying to be.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Volchik is cute. Did we already see the evolution's actual sprite?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Silver Falcon posted:

I'm not giving Uranium a pass here, buuuuut, naturally occurring radiation is a thing. Granted it wouldn't be nearly as bad as nuclear fallout, but it does exist.

Yeah it actually makes sense that these things were all hiding somewhere chilling with unfound deposits until some jerk started smearing radiation all over the place and they had to come find it. Less so that no one ever discovered one near a newly found uranium deposit, but oh well.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Why is Fallout affected by weaknesses?! Did they confuse Hail and Stealth Rock or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Good end to a good LP

• Locked thread