Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I hadn't actually noticed the hp bar fuckery until the thread pointed it out. That's some real lovely UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Not uranium specific question but I can't find the Games pokemon thread:

I loved generations 1 through 3 and then restarted at 6 but had to put it down after the first gym because it just didn't feel the same, what are the chances of me liking gen 7?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

All this talk of FFXI bullshit is kinda reminding me of WoW's Ahn'Qiraj raid when it launched.

Just the act of opening it up for your server was a feat in and of itself, requiring an extremely long questline that involved one person doing an excessive amount of grinding, using tons of the rarest and most expensive crafting materials, doing the most challenging raid up to that point within a time limit... And so much more.

What awaited them on the other side was probably one of the most miserable raids that the WoW dev team has ever created in all of the game's history. To start, it was all set in a massive underground bug hive that looked incredibly same-y. The generic monsters later on in the raid were legitimately more difficult than the bosses you had beaten to get to them. And the bosses themselves were no slouch either, having incredibly weird gimmicks (like a slime boss you had to freeze solid, then shatter it and kill the mini-slimes when they tried to reform), required you to get tons of incredibly rare resistance gear, or both.

This all came to a head with the final boss, C'thun. To make a long story short: he was legitimately unbeatable as designed when the raid was released. One of the highlights was having a chain-lighting attack that increased in damage with each subsequent hit... That he could cast right at the start, when everyone was filtering into his room through the only entrance. On the upside, the developers were willing to concede it, and nerfed him a bit; the world first kill came shortly after.
Don't forget the 20 man raid that came with it.

It started with Kurinaxx, a giant earwig, who slowly reduced the effectiveness of healing on your tank, necessitating a second tank to take over every so often, which is done by the first tank stopping all attacks so that the second tank will be considered a higher threat due to attacking more. He also throws sand at people which reduces their hit chance by 75%. So if that hits the second tank too often, they might not get the boss to switch targets at all. RNG!

Next there was General Rajaxx, a wave based encounter that would generally drag on for far longer than your healers mana so what you'd do was kill off all but one soldier of each wave, have all your healers equip a level 5 or so wand and have a paladin apply a debuff that would give whoever hit that target mana back and regenerate mana that way. Didn't have a paladin, like say, one of the game's two factions? Well get hosed then.

Directly after that you get Buru the Gorger, a boss who gives a stacking damage over time effect that, due to an exponential damage curve, will kill anybody after X applications. Which, unless you're a super high end guild, would happen before you could kill the boss. Luckily your entire raid could all chug down nature damage absorption potions which, due to the way the effect worked(it did a little bit of damage on it's own and if that damage was resisted, the effect fizzled), would delay it's onset for long enough to kill the boss, effectively forming a tax on attempts against that boss.

Take the opposite path from Rajaxx and you end up at Moam, a boss with a mana bar fills up over time and kills everybody in the raid when it gets full. Running a raid composition that is light on mana drain? Hope you like getting exploded.

Both paths converge again at the end to fight Ossirian the Unscarred, a boss that would flip out and kill your entire raid but it could be subdued by bring it near crystals that would spawn throughout the room. There was of course, no protection against you randomly getting two crystals spawning so far apart that it was impossible to get there in time before the boss started killing people in one hit.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
A bigger question wrt Jynx:

Why on earth was "frostbitten corpse" even on the list of designs?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Does Sage have some devblog archive that isn't occasional 4chan posts?

Also, my brain keeps parsing your dry ant portmanteau's as the most hilarious thing in the universe somehow. Antrious.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I thought the Anthell was another badly thought out portmanteau, the antechamber of hell, because that would be just as grimdark as the game seems to want to be when it's not LOLRANDOM.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Justice Sloth posted:

I was right with you until this, Kuwabara was a cool touch, but this is your least justified. Half of all flying types aren't even birds, if anything it should be super-effective against flying and steel and resisted by ground, rock and water because Sound travels quickly through air and resonates in metal, but is slowed and suppressed by solids and liquids.
Sound travels 5 times quicker in water than air.

Personally I'd make it resistant to Ghost because of the numerous applications of song/music to ward off or drive out evil spirits.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Precipitate for water moves. Let's make it rain!

Wrt better pokemon games: The next Sage demo will be 7-8 hours long and is scheduled to release some time in April or May. Source: A Discord moderator.

After bouncing off X hard due to it's neverending stream of old 'mons and dripfeeding new ones at a rate of 1/route, I was pleasantly surprised by Sage demo #1.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I was discussing fanmade pokemons with a friend and the subject of custom 'mons that are plants but not grass type came up and we ended on this:

Pepper Pokemon
Type: Poison/Fire
Ability: Flame Body/Storm Drain(water activates capsaicin, could do with a rename)
Signature move: Spice Throw(poison/special type, 80 power, 100% accuracy, 30% chance to burn, 15 PP)
Moveset is mainly fire, focussed on burning but learns a few token grass ones as well and acid line from poison(it burns you see)
Stat spread of defense(capsaicin is a deterrent against being eaten by mammals)>sp attack>sp defense=hp>speed(spiciness doesn't take effect instantly)>attack, 500 BST fully evolved
No drawing materials bigger than phone screens were available but we settled on a green with red colour scheme, possibly with some Koffing style markings to denote the poison type.

Whereabouts on the scale from Gamefreak to Quartz would this end up?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Titanic sank bow first. Titanice has a face on it's rear end.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I keep trying to come up with non-edgelord designs for Chainite and I keep looping back to Mimikyu but with a substitute doll instead of a Pikachu cosplay.

One possible variation I could think of is an amorphous ghost holding the substitute doll as a teddy bear. The ghost still has no real form but is no longer ashamed of it and doesn't need to hide in the substitute any more.

Also, the folks of the Sage Discord wanted me to say hi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I like the concept of Mega Arbok being literally just Arbok but with half a dozen Ekans' backseat driving it.

• Locked thread