Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
I'm happy to see from reading the responses in this thread that a lot of pokemon fans are as over hearing about people's nuzlocke runs as I am.

Pokemon is a pretty interesting case study in game design because the mechanics of the game are pretty complicated but the main campaign tends to be so easy that you finish it having only really learned the type match up chart. Which is really only scratching the surface of what the games had going on under the hood.

So I can understand and sympathize the desire to make pokemon more challenging, if only to create a deeper game experience by making all those other mechanics actually matter to a players success.

But every attempt I have seen to create this challenge, from nuzlocke runs to romhacks to fangames like Uranium, seem to be based around this wrongheaded and sometimes utterly baffling understanding of what makes a videogame satisfyingly difficult.

For the record I have some experience messing around with Uranium and I've never really found the creature designs and spritework to be objectionable at all. I totally get where all you guys saying you found what you saw so far charming. The plot is something else though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread