Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Didn't think about that. How about a cascade of pleasing cool colors?

Coulda change the pink text to something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Walrus Pete posted:

Honestly? I'd just stick with black and white. Maybe with a not-too-bright color for the title bars. Something along the lines of this, maybe:

Except, y'know, properly sized and aligned instead of thrown together hastily in Paint :v:
I like "spec" better as an abbreviation for special. Abbreviating status seems unnecessary, but if you want it to be a consistent four letters then "stat" seems fine.

Yeah this is good. Simple is best and the colour gives it a nice difference

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

PBJ posted:

Like, I get that this is :spergin: as hell, but would it kill them to actually understand good interface design, especially when the entire series this is apeing did it 100% better before them?

This is not :spergin: you're totally right. I don't understand how long time pokemon fans could make this UI.

Also I keep thinking the green HP bar is part of the UI background.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

If I remember right, this tripped Tie up a lot during the earlier parts of his streams and I can't blame him one bit. Even knowing which is which I still get confused by seeing it because it's just so terribly designed.

Anyone who ever played Pokemon would get tripped up, especially since the EXP bar is green instead of blue. I have no idea how supposed fans could do this, the exp bar has been blue since loving GBC Gold/Silver.

Gyra_Solune posted:

What do people here think of Pokemon Reborn? It's kind of the same sorta 'it's pokemon but OOH DARK AND EDGY' i mean you watch a man kill himself, but it sorta goes so far in establishing the shithole nature of the setting that it's in a way something I got used to instead of just sorta thinking it's lame whenever it came up, aside from the above sorta egregious plot point. I never got far enough to see how rough later encounters get but I kind of found what I did play interesting in that it was explicitly designed with scarcity of resources in mind, including actual Pokemon mostly being in out of the way locations you have to really rummage around for, and most of the high-tier Pokemon are either not even available yet or things you can only get once through chains of events or choices

The field effect gimmick got a little obnoxious at times because it felt like it was the game kinda railroading you into a specific strategy. Said guy who jumped off a cliff had his MEGA ULTRA DEATH POISON field and ultimately the only practical way to deal with it is 'have a Pokemon with Gust', and basically it seems like it's a massive frustrating pain in the rear end unless you specifically have a Swoobat. I do think it's clever that the Gym Leaders try to subvert the usual 'just bring an x type' by having something else interesting going on, like how the Grass lady has this weird-rear end Sandstorm team but I'm dubious how much of my ability to get past them was my actual skill or just sheer luck with the specific team I selected. If nothing else though it's made very clear that no this is going to be a difficult game aimed towards people who play more competitively and know all the quirks of the series so at least it's up-front about that.

If you want edgy you could just play Pokemon Colosseum :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

Pokemon's always had some dark undertones just below the surface, between messed-up Pokedex entries and some of the sadder NPC chatter, and the last couple of gens have leaned a bit harder into it (Sun and Moon has some legit disturbing moments, in fact, by way of existential dread). But Game Freak makes it work because they're good at writing, and know how to make those dark moments gel with the more upbeat core of the franchise. Also I guess it's not really edgy, so much as it's just dark. The sort of "dark and edgy" it looks like Uranium is going for, based on that first cutscene, is closer to the juvenile, superficial kind that we all know from such gems as Shadow the Hedgehog, which I agree should be nowhere near a Pokemon game. Or any game.

The Colloseum and XD:GoD were the darkest the series ever got, thanks to the introduction of Shadow Pokemon, with Colloseum being the darkest since you spend like half your time in the antagonists' lairs and the other half inside hives of scum and villainy.

That said, it owns owns owns cause of :swoon:Wes:swoon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO9CU7fygVk

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Tyty posted:

on it boss

Holy poo poo :five:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

:psyduck: Did the people who make the game hate humanity or something?

Yes. You can thank Hiromichi Tanaka. The same dude was responsible for the shitshow which was XIV 1.0 before they got a guy who Actually Played MMOs to unfuck it

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Considering this game? I'm expecting him to evolve into a Blooming Onion.

I'm down

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

I'm spelling it out now because unlike all the other traditions it mindlessly recreates, Uranium does not give the player a Master Ball at any point.

Good god why???

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Color Printer posted:

It feels like some of you people are acting like "playing an optional minigame sidequest a long time to get a really good thing" has never been done before in an RPG

This. C'mon you guys you still need to grind 9999 coins so the reward goddamn better be worth it. It is overtooled though, that much is certain.

Motor Drive and Shift Gear seems like a combo for hilarity though.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I literally said "oh so they're Shadow Pokemon" when I read about the type advantages. Goddamn that's dumb. Like they had the perfect concept, XD's Shadow pokemon mechanics were really well done they could have just built on that. This is really the wrong way to go about this. You would never use a pokemon who doesn't listen to you because of how unreliable they are.

mandatory lesbian posted:

gently caress you Colosseum ruled

I love Colloseum but XD was way better gameplay-wise. They turned shadow Pokemon from a pretty one-note gimmick to a genuinely interesting mechanic.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Sociopastry posted:

Oh, neat. That sounds pretty cool. Functionally, was there any difference between shadow pokemon and normal ones?

Depends if you mean Colloseum or its sequel; XD: Gale of Darkness.

In Colloseum Shadow Pokemon were identical to regular pokemon except that their first slot was taken by the move Shadow Rush. This move has 90 power and infinite pp, it is super effective against all non-Shadow Pokemon and is not very effective against fellow Shadow Pokemon. However, when used, the pokemon takes 25% of the damage it inflicts. Since the only way to get pokemon in the game is to capture them from trainers using your illegal Snag Machine (you can only capture Shadow Pokemon though, your sidekick doesn't let you Sang regular pokemon from trainers), having a pokemon die from Shadow Rush can be...frustrating.
Shadow Pokemon can also go into Hyper Mode, where they get increased stats and Shadow Rush has a high chance of becoming a critical hit. Unfortunately in this mode your pokemon has a good chance of not obaying you, so it's up to you whether or not the gamble's worth it. To make a pokemon exit Hyper Mode, you need to spend a turn Calling out to it.
Shadow Pokemon cannot level up. Instead of an EXP bar they have a shadow meter which decreases as you use them more, call them to snap them out of Hyper Mode and so on. When you purify a Shadow Pokemon, they gain all the exp they would have gotten in the battles they participated in. At first, the shadow meter is maxed and the pokemon can only use Shadow Rush. As it decreases, it regains the other moves in its slots.

In XD:GoD they revamped the system a shitton. Shadow Pokemon now have their own set of moves, again super effective vs regular pokemon, not effective on fellow Shadow Pokemon. Shadow Rush got nerfed to only 55 power and sits alongside a plethora of other moves, like Shadow Panic (Confuse Ray basically), Shadow Half (halves the HP of all pokemon in battle), Shadow Rave (70 Power attack to both of the opponent's pokemon), Shadow Sky (changes weather to make dark energy fall from the sky. Basically a sandstorm effect, Shadow Pokemon are unaffected) and a ton of others. All Shadow type moves still have infinite PP.
Hyper Mode is replaced with Reverse Mode which...is completely loving useless as far as I am aware. It does not increase the crit rate of Shadow Pokemon as far as I know and unlike in Colloseum, Pokemon in Reverse Mode take a bit of damage every turn. Just call out to them to decrease their shadow meter. It's otherwise pointless.
The mechanics for Shadow Pokemon are otherwise the same.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Arcade Rabbit posted:

and letting them shoot nuclear lasers because shut up it's cool

well it is...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Flame Wheel also cures the Freeze status effect iirc. Or at least, it's supposed to.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

I had a read through of the Pokemon Sage pokedex, and I can't find a single one that would feel out of place in a real Pokemon game. Sure, there is some overlap, but for a project to create a new dex from the ground up there's bound to be some rehashed concepts.

Sorta puts how bad Uranium is into perspective, really.

The creator like the evolution lines of "Small cute thing-bigger less cute thing-big badass thing" a whole lot.

Can't really blame him I guess.

Adorable.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 22, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's clearly nuclear.

That symbol has nothing to do with radioactivity, does it?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

oh my loving god

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I like Titanice. It's pretty alright.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

What does that even add other than "difficulty?" How are you supposed to beat that? No Pokemon game ever goes that far with its trainer AI.

Actually Colloseum does. It kinda sucks!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

LAY-ZX posted:

This kind of explains a lot.

To clarify, the game doesn't do switch outs or anything like that, but it does react to your inputs and adjusts its choices based on them.
This is most notable when you face Venus because she uses an attract strategy. So when you switch out the attracted pokemon, she uses attract on the newly switched in pokemon.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hey remember when pokemon villains threatened to kill people?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm honestly surprised. Not even Cipher threatened to kill people, and they made the pokemon powered by abuse.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

the Orb of Zot posted:

The head of Team Cipher, Greevil, actually planned to blow up his entire island HQ with you and everyone working with Cipher outside of his own two sons still on it after you beat him at the end of Pokemon XD, but one of said sons convinced him it would be better to just hand himself to the authorities instead of killing so many people for no good reason. That was the one time an explicit attempt to kill showed up in both Colosseum and XD.

I mention this in contrast to how CURIE has already attempted to kill someone on screen and laughed at their agony.

Yeah that's what I really meant. Greevil had like 5 lines and he was more focused on not getting arrested rather than killing you. It was "I'll blow up the island because I lost!" not "I will blow up this island so even in your victory you will suffer and die!" and it was resolved as soon as it was brought up with his son telling him to just give it up.
I didn't play the new games so I don't know if any villain was actually this sadistic. And I'm certain they weren't this pointlessly sadistic since Gamefreak knows writing.

Speaking of which,

Onmi posted:

And the worst thing is, the dev team is arrogant and thinks they did better than Gamefreak.

yeah okay

These chucklefucks can't even get the HP bars right in the UI, they're not even in the same breath as Gamefreak.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I would also let the player prevent Meltdown 2, given that it's a loving nuclear power plant and probably affects people's way of life in a big way.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Know what? Credit where it's due. This part feels like Pokemon. Here you have a site where a disaster happened, but it's okay there are cute critters cleaning the place up. Gold star, Uranium.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

I would like to point out that, at least, there is a dumber use of magical radiation in a video game, though the game itself was significantly better because the gameplay didn't suck. The endgame of Megaman Battle Network 2 involved electromagnetic radiation so powerful that it was supposedly lethal to humans (though this didn't happen to anyone, including multiple people who were at the epicenter without any protective gear), and its effects were expressed by uncontrollably walking sideways and the internet bleeding into the real world.

It also helps that the execution was really cool. I loving loved that weird-rear end hotel and the music in the dungeon proper owned hard.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's cool that Theo can survive in this place without a power suit. Remind me again why shoving him into a nuclear reactor is a good thing for Curie?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I know what you mean. Clover seems like a trainwreck but also like it's partially enjoyable (though the racist/sexist jokes are lovely no matter how ironic/4chan they are). Reborn seems like a trainwreck throughout.

Uranium is just...half-baked and mediocre with occasional really dumb bits to make it stand out.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I always thought tildes were used as a way to convey a flirty or a sing-song sort of tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Honestly when I saw that Inflagetah, that was when I realized what the game was going to pull. Him Mega Evolving it is just loving icing on the cake.

• Locked thread