Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
You want needlessly edgy I once read a half-finished fanfiction where the primary idea was that the Legendaries were all trainers who were cool enough to be merged with their favourite Pokemon by Ho-oh, and of course, it happens to Ash and Pikachu but OH NO it wasn't supposed to be them. Gary was the actual chosen one, Ash/Pikachu hybrid goes completely insane and somehow causes a psychic field effect that causes all pokemon to abandon their trainers to work for Evil Overlord Ashachu. Also any trainers who mistreated their pokemon got beaten half to death by them when they turned. It's a total trainwreck, but I've forgotten the title. I just remember it stopped on a cliffhanger with the main characters being trapped in a coastal town somewhere being hunted by a Dragonite and an army of voltorbs. Also it was 20 odd chapters long, long chapters too. And that's unfinished, imagine how long it could have been :gonk:

Unfortunately i cannot find it to link, I discovered it, like, 15 years ago on Fanfiction.net when I was in the target audience.

Also, something I also loved about actual pokemon canon is that Dark pokemon cheat. They just don't fight fair. My favourite move in the entire series is that Dark move Beat Up, where you hit the opponent once for every pokemon in your team - yup, the dark Pokemon in play basically saunters over to the trainer's belt, releases the other five pokeballs, cracks his knuckles and they just gang up on the opponent, wailing on him.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

WrightOfWay posted:

Nidoran gets Double Kick at 43 in Red and Blue. You can power through with resisted Horn Attacks but you would have to do a shitload of grinding first.

Reminds me of playing Yellow. My first time fighting Brock I levelled Pikachu until it learned (I think) Quick Attack and just chiselled away at Onyx for ages.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I wanna see a trainer with nothing but magikarps and a small paddling pool. Before a bout he'd fill the pool, get Magikarp to splash so that the rock-type opponent is soaking wet, then just walk up and punch out the onyx. Hell, it worked with Meowth in the anime - took out a rock type using two buckets of water that he threw at it. "WATER SPIN! :byodood:"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

freshlybaked posted:

Maybe I'm also sour because Digimon had a better gear monster design that's way older too.

I was so stoked that I could start with a Hagurumon in Cyber Sleuth. Never even looked the other options over, they've had their turns being main characters. Palmon and Terriermon have had their turn being the hero, it's the dumb gear's turn, and Clockmon was awesome... amazing... stupendous! well he was cool I guess..

(That was a joke about Clockmon's speech patterns in series 3 BTW)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like how they worked the typing into their overall man-v-nature metaphor.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think I've found Nuclear Arbok's Mega evolution: http://digimon.wikia.com/wiki/Megidramon

Love that guy...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've always been curious what would happen if a human ate a TM. Would he breath fire once, gently caress up his throat and just go "This was a REALLY BAD IDEA :supaburn:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Jayme posted:

Attack of the Killer Beedrills!
The Deadly Scyther!
Alola vs the Araquanid!
Empire of the Durant!

The requisite ant pokemon evolves into John Goodman.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107529/

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I always want to see a character in a confront-the-darkside story like Persona 4 who is actually well adjusted from the start. You go through the dungeon but instead of the usual angsty denial dialog and deranged shadow muttering you hear the guy and his shadow just discussing each other calmly. Just hearing snippets of "I know it seems like I feel like that sometimes, but it's more complicated than that...." "...I know dude, but I'm trying to move past those feelings" "..I know that, and you know that, but there's no reason everyone else should know that is there? This is our cross to bear..."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I never watched it but the premise for "Fighting Foodies" as presented in teh intro is potentially interesting. Shame it's trash. According to the intro the monsters are based on recipes that the characters cook so you could have hundreds of different designs based off the same base recipe depending on tweaks, and having to make each dude from scratch would prevent just throwing out the same dude every battle (*cough* Pikachu *cough*)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

LEGO Genetics posted:

Everything about this game tells me it's been executed with all the skill of a first year intern.

Don't be mean - a first year intern would at least have a vague idea how to draw!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like Combat/Wombash :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I love Stubbs for the large testicles hanging out of each leg.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

There are actually macroscopic unicelluar organisms, though the largest known only gets up to 8 inches across.

I was thinking of Bubble Algae: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valonia_ventricosa - although it only gets up to 2 inches across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Honestly Edgy Pokemon already exists and it's pretty charming, even if mechanically it could use some work - Yokai Watch. You are literally collecting the spirits of the dead, and some of them get darkly humorous backstories. The Fighting type Cat is a normal cat that got run over by a truck. In it's afterlife it is obsessed with getting strong enough that it can fight a truck and win. The main character's parents have a massive falling out due to a Yokai deliberately creating a rift between them for a laugh, that kind of thing.

• Locked thread