Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Having gone through Tie's LP of it, I actually picked this up myself trying to get it to work and deal with both the technical difficulties and the difficulties in actually beating bits of it. I even hopped on their Discord to see if this really is intended and the answers I got amounted to "well it's supposed to be a challenge" and "grind more," neither of which are especially fun responses to receive.

I've got so much to say on this but to sum it all up without getting probated, I'll just quote my final thoughts, spoiler-tagged anyway just to be sure. "Nine years and all they have to show for it is a literal nuclear trash fire."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

EclecticTastes posted:

Basically all of action anime works like this. Martial Artists defeat dudes with evil dark devil powers all the drat time. Or for a more directly pointed example, Ryu beating Akuma in Street Fighter, using his pure martial arts to overcome Akuma's borderline-demonic superpowers.

This is also why Bug beats Dark; because of Kamen Rider's insect-themed iterations. Psychic's weaknesses, similarly, are based on the fact that the mind has irrational fears; in this case, bugs, ghosts, and darkness. That said there's a few types that get iffy, but most of them make some degree of sense.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Re: terrible fanfiction/fangames, Pokemon is one of those playground franchises that has a framework easy enough for people to sit down and make their own content. The problem is they also don't have any experience in developing good content or playtesting so the result is stuff that sounded good in their heads but ultimately doing poorly in practice. Both in a narrative sense and a game design sense.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
A lot of the design here seems to be based around either throwing whatever the artists could put together and then statting it based on appearance or to arbitrarily fill some kind of meta. There's a very common and recurring issue around the type combinations and coverage they choose for the Fakemon but I'll let OFS go over that. Needless to say, it doesn't even remotely consider the possibility that children or just casual players of the series would be playing this.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
It'd be way too much effort to implement, but I kinda wish you could handle any gym in any order, assuming you can reach it and get through the wild Pokemon. The idea of that being that each gym leader has multiple sets of pokemon based on how many badges their challenger has. Granted that would mean giving every single gym leader (except maybe one or two tied behind plot) eight different sets of Pokemon at varying levels and total numbers of Pokemon. Of course, the fact that these save-the-world plots have to take center stage now and turn the League run and Pokedex run into minor objectives at best makes this even more unfeasible.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Dr. Fetus posted:

:psyduck: Did the people who make the game hate humanity or something?

There's a reason why, when Yoshida was given the flaming trash heap that was FFXIV 1.0 (which was literally just a prettier and even more obnoxious FFXI) he decided to have the game world die so he would have an excuse to completely rework as much of the game as possible from the ground up for A Realm Reborn.

Back to Pokemon, it's safe to say that there's a lot of bias towards very specific Pokemon and strategies in this game, but we still have to actually reach them before we comment on them. I will say this though: when I tried getting the game to run, there was an event going where people were tossing around perfect-IV pokemon out into Wonder Trade because the accepted solution to the game is to not actually play it normally, but to grab a team of perfect-IV pokemon off Wonder Trade to "fix" the EXP curve and have the overpowered mons before you have access to them normally.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
During Tie's playthrough, he even notes more or less the exact time that it is given the C&D. Honestly, though, C&D's one of those things where even if it's a Good Product (which Uranium isn't), if you're too public about it or the media makes it too public, someone's going to drop a hammer on it because of how draconian copyright law is. People make a fuss saying "they should buy the product instead like with Megaman vs Street Fighter," but you can't always take the Valve approach to these situations. Granted, the internet being the internet, once it's released, assuming at least a few people with hosting services picked it up, the tapes can be circulated forever long after the C&D.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

turn off the TV posted:

What the hell Barewl is supposed to mean, on the other hand, is beyond even the wiki's understanding, so I imagine the only way to find out would be to ask the designer.

Unfortunately, that's impossible, as the original developers stopped providing updates before they even hit v1.1, thus leaving the fan community (IE Reddit) to finish the game and continue to provide updates and maintain the online server functionality.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Don't spoil future to-be-patched-in Pokemon like that, man. :(

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Baashaun is one of those designs/ideas I can see Pokemon actually doing. A black sheep variant of Mareep, albeit likely Dark/Electric instead of Dark/Fighting. Speaking of which, oh boy, double fairy weakness. With how much this game seems to love putting dark, dragon and other uncommon types everywhere, picture how many folks are gonna start rocking Fairy moves despite neither of the mon's types being Fairy.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
If Pokedex entries were real then India, or at least Indian Elephants, exist in the pokemon world. Which begs the question of why we can't capture an Indian Elephant.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Oh god it's either dabbing or they inadvertently made a JoJo sheep.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
In the case of the anime, they actually were too careful about upsetting people. The Orange Islands season had Brock leave and be replaced by Tracey because there was concern that to the American audience Brock might be interpreted as a racial stereotype due to his eyes (no one had complained yet though), so they had a "tall, white, Anglo-looking character to replace him, just to be on the safe side." Brock came back later once they realized nobody cared about Brock's appearance and they were in the clear.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Johnny Joestar posted:

i feel like beyond any racial implications or no, jynx is just really kind of a crap design

It's like with Monster Rancher where you have all these neat/cute/oddball monsters and then you just have catgirls/Succubi pop up in a tournament.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean dragonite also looks cool in all its stages and has surf access to free up that party requirement without using a water type.

It had pretty good tm access in a game with terrible move pools as well if memory serves.

Speaking of hilarious TM coverage, a reminder that if you transfer it from Gen 1 to your Box, your Nidoking or Nidoqueen can use Pay Day, because Pay Day was a TM in Blue and only Blue.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

KataraniSword posted:

"A fast and/or adequately tanky pokemon with Earthquake or Brick Break". Dragon/Steel is an amazing defensive combination, but being weak to ground and fighting still - two of the most common offensive types out there - doesn't do it favors. The tricks, then, are finding something that can take a STAB'd Dragon Claw/Iron Head without trouble, and who is strong enough to ideally OHKO or 2HKO it. Not helping matters is that Steel natively resists both its STABs, and it doesn't really have good options to deal with Steel at all, at least in its level up moves (and assuming that I heard right that it can't TM Earthquake).

Even if it could, Skarmory would be a brick wall for it. What's it gonna do, HP Fire off a base-50 Special Attack? :flaccid: That's not the only one, but it's the most obvious. (Of course, that's assuming Skarmory is in the game. For all I know, in Uranium, MEGAWEAPON could potentially have no hard counters because of the way the game's pokedex isn't sure if it wants to have normal 'mon in it or not.)

A reminder that it can either use Shift Gear on its first turn or pack Speed Boost and outspeed anything that would have a higher base speed, so it has to have the right typing to survive a (potentially boosted) hit first. Not to mention it can still just spam Iron Head and potentially get a win off of flinch spam. Lastly, no Earthquake, but it has Drill Run, so it can just go first and potentially get an OHKO off of a neutral crit.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Man, if you guys are freaking out this much over Tracton, I can't wait until I get my Inflagetah.

Every time I saw that name I read it as "Inflategah" and was deeply concerned that things would get even more :gonk: than usual for a Pokemon fangame

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Dirk the Average posted:

Honestly, they should just release standalone challenges where they put out custom AI trainers designed to wreck you. Hell, they could even do puzzle modes where you try to win at a disadvantage with a premade team against an enemy AI team.

This specifically is why I'm really salty over the Battle Factory from the Battle Frontier in all generations past gen IV. Using random rental pokemon against other random rentals and then swapping one out between fights kept things interesting and was a bigger test of adaptability and how much you know about Pokemon in general than "I'll just use this sweeper to sweep 100 fights in a row."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
The nuclear pokemon palette is really weird but there's a few pokemon that it works really well for. Also, goddamn.

It's ugly as sin. This is why you don't tamper with existing pokemon for fan projects; the evolutions/pre-evolutions that get added are abominations, even moreso than the OC abominations.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

quote:

The thing that gets me most about this is that from seeing Tie's playthrough, that's a Psychic trainer, so one of the worst possible trainer types to even try to make this kinda 'joke' with. It just screams "inside joke" or "jab at someone who annoyed the developer" at the top of its lungs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
I mean, I always figured the best way to do such a thing would be to have, within the fiction, each gym leader have multiple sets of pokemon, and which one it uses is based on how many badges the challenger has, between zero and seven. 2 mons for 0-1, 3 mons for 2-4, 4 mons for 5-7, generally get a base of level 10 or so +/-2, add +5 per badge, and now your last badge challenge is around the 45s, which sets up perfectly for the Elite 4 being around 50 and the Champion being around 55. Considering the later games would gate what items were available for sale based on the amount of badges you had, I don't think it'd be that unreasonable a concept.

The only real issue is how to handle wild pokemon unless they scale with you up to the recommended level of the gym, and the plot would have to be able to happen pretty much anywhere or give you real incentive to go back somewhere you wouldn't ordinarily go back to. Or it could just not have a plot and be a sandbox adventure.

• Locked thread