Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I downloaded Uranium and got as far as choosing my Pokémon and battling my rival for the first time before putting it away. The into cutscene, multiple-choice questionnaire and odd menus made me wary of what was in store. I'm happy I stopped playing when I did, I'll definitely be following this LP.

If you accept requests, can you name the first nuclear-radiation-mutated abomination-unto-god that you catch "WHYGOD?"?

Also, this thread has just taught me that Pokémon is an autocorrect word in my phone. Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Wait wait wait...

I remember the thread that attempted to play through 1.3. What was the intended way, if not "hit the dude 999 times without anyone dying"?

"Haha, gently caress you and die"? Wasn't the superboss in question treated as a regular random encounter by the game as well, so you could just be going to the next plot point and lose your entire party?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I could see a use for a generic ant-type that would also justify putting the watering can into post-game content. Give the player an ant-farm mini-game, and let him collect/breed a variety of generic ants, and give each type of ant a chance to find certain kinds of berries per hour (or whatever timeframe you want to use) of game time.

It's not a good idea, mind you, but certainly preferable to whatever poo poo this game probably has planned.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Bulbasaur means three gyms on easy street, compared to Squirtle's one. It also means you're rolling with #1.

Yeah, but the first gym is the biggest roadblock just because your options are so limited at that point. Later gyms aren't an issue because you'll have more than just normal and bug pokemon at your disposal. Plus Squirtle eventually grows cannons from his back, while Bulbasaur just blooms.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

And it's named "Tofurang" for some reason? Like, "Tonemy" I kind of get (toxic + enemy), but... Tofurang?

It makes me think of "Tofu" and "Boomerang". Is it supposed to be a jab at tofu not tasting good? gently caress if I know (That's going to be my response to every "original" pokemon in this game isn't it?)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Paul.Power posted:

The fakemon designs that stick in my head the most are Icetope and Chillnobyl from Pokemon Sage. Radioactive slugs/snails, Ice/Poison. As off-colour a joke at it is, Icetope is a brilliant pun.

It'd even fit well in Uranium :v:

Those aren't bad names/concepts for fan pokemon. Considering pokemon follow the logic of "Blue=Water or Ice" and cherenkov radiation is supposed to glow blue, Ice/Poison actually works for a "nuclear pokemon". Plus the puns aren't bad.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh... oh god. Did you really name something after that atrocity of a movie that was Nukie? I mean, it's fitting, considering this is an atrocity of a Pokemon game and is nuclear flavored, but still, why?

Also, not sure how I feel about Nuclear turning the game into even more of a game of rocket tag at this point. On the plus side, the game goes by faster at least?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

MiracleFlare posted:

Anthell suddenly gave me flashbacks to another fan project, some kind of conversion mod of a war game that created campaigns set in the Zelda universe. There's a lot to be said about it in general (mainly this air of Better Than Canon :smug: I get concerning how recent games were implemented into the project), but relevant to the current topic I remember that Queen Gohma and her ilk were turned into a horrific parasitic hivemind, OOT's Mido betrayed the Kokiri to become a Gohma informant, and TP's Agitha was an insane war orphan who saw the hive queen as her new mother. Also they were led by a Fallen Sage who was just a humanoid bug lady that murdered a bunch of other sages.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, maybe cute kid characters from Nintendo games aren't the best cast for a bug-themed hivemind horror story.

The Hyrule: Total War is rather impressive, if for no other reason the person behind it was deranged enough to somehow weave entire factions out of creatures and enemies that you only see one type of in games (Darknuts have an entire faction. With multiple units. FAIRIES have an army.)

And as for men wearing skirts... nothing wrong with a man wearing a skirt. I'm guessing the people who made this game have never seen a scotsman before? Or The Scotsman?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The punch bunny/winotingler and the drunk seeing large pink bunnies could also be a reference to Harvey, a play/movie about a drunkard and his imaginary friend who's a 6' tall anthropomorphic rabbit (who is usually depicted as pink for some reason).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

GeneX posted:

Actress solves sexism in pokemon game is somehow not the most utterly ridiculous thing in this game

Considering the "Gamer girl" and "crossdressing gym leader" "jokes" they had earlier, I'm almost positive that this gym leader was made specifically as a fig leaf for all the sexist poo poo they put in.

"See! We're not sexist! We even have a woman who did a man's job!"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

Titanic sank bow first. Titanice has a face on it's rear end.

It could be rising from the depths like an angry, ancient god of the seas and ice. Prolly not what was intended, but it makes a bit more sense than it sinking and having an assface.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

vorebane posted:

Pokemon Sulphur and Pokemon Brimstone, the protagonist must battle their way out of pokehell. :unsmigghh:

So... Shin Megami Tensei x Pokemon? Cause I would totally play a Pokemon/SMT crossover game.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sociopastry posted:

On one hand, I remember being an edgy teen and thinking that black+ color was the COOLEST DESIGN CHOICE EVER

Black and gold tend to go well together, IMO. But yeah, usually it's just some dumb "so edgy I just cut myself looking at it" mindset and not an actual "hey, do these colors actually work together, in this pattern and order?"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

LAY-ZX posted:

What? :psyduck: SuMo have been out for a little over half a year and have 13 million sales. What world is this dude living in?

Yeah, the numbers I'm finding are that the games sold over 3 million copies in the Americas (not world-wide, just North and South America) IN THE FIRST MONTH, and they were Nintendo's fastest-selling games ever in the Americas. To say that the games have only sold that much in a year and half is... uh... what's a word or phrase worse that disingenuous? Deceitful? A blatant lie? A whiny crybaby who's mad that his famous free game didn't even break 2 million downloads in almost a year while Nintendo's paid-for product made sales records for Nintendo? Yeah, it's totally because of Uranium existing that they didn't sell 14 million copies yet. I tried Uranium, it's horrible and broken. OFS had to hack the game to make it LP-able. Let this LP stand as a warning to those who would want to expose themselves to this game.

There is one right thing about the game though, Just like it's namesake, it's not something you want to be exposed to without protection. Let the name serve as a warning to those who would come after. "This is not a safe thing. Handle it with care."

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm just worried that Hazma's going to have an evolution where he's swollen, his suit has burst and he has radioactive sludge seeping from his mask and tears (because a cute little rad-suit dinosaur isn't hardcore edgy enough). Please tell me that the game was C&Ded before that nightmare came to pass.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Maybe linkite is just the ghost of a hazma, and they look like substitute dolls inside of their little hazmat suits?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I loving hate CURIE because of his/her/it's "I have a tragic backstory but everything I say sounds like a try-hard 90's cartoon villain" mindset. Who talks that way? People don't think that way. People don't wake up and say "Gee, how many puppies can I punt into a reactor today to be evil", they would justify their evil acts. "Okay, I need to gather puppies to punt into the reactor because *reasons*". "I feel bad about punting puppies in, but it's the only way I've found for *reason*". Not "Mwahahahahaha, you foolish fools who do foolish things for foolish beliefs! I've stolen all the puppies and punted them all into the reactor for reasons that not even I have thought about!"

Or the psychopaths have more character development and are better written than that.

I honestly question what CURIE adds that just having Urayne on its own causing the trouble wouldn't have been better. Just have it be a unique legendary Pokémon that eats radioactive material and emits high quantities of radiation, and the reason that it goes after the nuclear plants is because humanity accidentally mined into its cavern home and it's attracted to the high concentrations of refined radioactive material. You could still have the final volcano showdown because by this point, all of the reactors have been hit by it and the volcano has the next largest (natural) supply of radioactive materials. Hell, have the Hazmas be a species of Pokémon that evolved alongside it and fed off of its emissions. Boom, you have something causing chaos and shutting down plants, a final showdown, and you cut out the tryhard edgelord crap.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Huh, I didn't even realize that what I wrote was basically the plot of Metroid Prime but without "also, Space Pirates doing hilarious experiments that end in failure".

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wait, so the stasis tank puts you into... well... stasis, so you shouldn't be aware of the natural progression of time, but at the same time stretches your perception of time so that each moment feels like an eternity? And may or may not be the explanation of Theo's sudden aging 10 years? Did they manage to write stasis as the exact opposite of what it typically is?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm going to guess one of the forms of Urayne that doesn't get properly added to the pokedex unless you actually catch it. Or some bullshit like a Deoxys that's in the game's code but the developers "ran out of time" before they could do something with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So THAT'S where Drifloons come from.

• Locked thread