Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I'm far from some gaming fundamentalist, but there's a bit of a thin line when it comes to streamlining things.

To use the pokemon example. If it tells me what move works best against the enemy pokemon after I fight them once and save me the trouble of remembering, why not have the game just do the move for me and save me the trouble of hitting a few buttons? why not save me the trouble of the loading screen and just skip fights against the pokemon where instead you auto win?

I'm not trying to say that pokemon suggesting to use fire against the ice guy is a bad idea, but video games are inherently arbitrary wastes of time because you aren't doing anything. Trying to remove all annoyance is a race to the bottom because there's always gonna be someone who has even less time for your game then the last guy.

This is especially tricky because of the sort of faq-reading/meta minmaxer attitude games attract. To use SMT as an example, random skills on fusions was supposed to be so you had to settle for only most of the stuff you wanted, especially since in most games that had it skills were weighted differently based on the guy you were making. However instead people would just hit XOXO for 10 minutes until they finally got the RNG seed they wanted. By letting you pick skills you do technically improve the game by streamlining the process, but now everyone has characters that can cast everything instead of just psychotics and this does change the way you play the game, although for better or worse I can't say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread