Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

The Colloseum and XD:GoD were the darkest the series ever got, thanks to the introduction of Shadow Pokemon, with Colloseum being the darkest since you spend like half your time in the antagonists' lairs and the other half inside hives of scum and villainy.

That said, it owns owns owns cause of :swoon:Wes:swoon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO9CU7fygVk

I don't think that's actually true. I've never gotten around to reading them, but just from hearing about them holy poo poo do some of the Pokemon mangas get dark. Saying that the fan games can get too dark and edgy is fine, but saying Pokemon can't get dark - given what some of the entries have always been, as well as some events that happen in the games - is silly. It all comes down to writing, so if this one, and Reborn(?) are bad, it's not just because they're dark.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Phantump is the spirit of a child that died in the woods, also.

General rule of thumb is that if it's a Ghost-type, its pokedex entry is something horrifying. :v:

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Unknown Quantity posted:

This is also why Bug beats Dark; because of Kamen Rider's insect-themed iterations. Psychic's weaknesses, similarly, are based on the fact that the mind has irrational fears; in this case, bugs, ghosts, and darkness. That said there's a few types that get iffy, but most of them make some degree of sense.

I could be wrong, but i'm guessing this is best exemplified by Fairy. I'd really love a reasonable explanation for how they came up with what it resists and what it's super-effective against. As opposed to, "Well, they're three types that only have 2 weaknesses each, so let's just go with those three," which seems to be the reasoning. Weak to Fire, Poison and Steel, and Strong against Dark, Fighting, and Dragon, seems like such a random assortment of typings.

Onmi posted:

Put it like this. Uranium opens up with its dumb Nuclear meltdown.

Reborn opens up with you narrowly surviving a terrorist attack on the train you're riding.

This is sounding less like a normal Pokemon adventure game, and more a game that just happens to involve Pokemon.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

rannum posted:

Poison & Steel are apparently fairy weaknesses in some stories. Fairy isn't weak to anything else, fire just resists it for...reasons?

Yeah, was momentarily forgetting cold iron tends to be one of the more common traditional Fey weaknesses (though depending on the work they may not have a problem with actual steel :v:). Poison I don't really recall being this way, but it's probably featured in some story or another. Really it's Fire resisting it, and what it's strong against, that just seem random - and that's over half its type matchups.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Fairy was partially implemented for gameplay purposes. Specifically, it was put in to nerf a few types getting out of hand at the time. And buffing up not so great types in the process.

Yeah, sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm aware of the mechanical reasons the types were chosen, which is why I was sort of addressing that it's probably the best example of no real lore reason behind the typing's strength/weaknesses. Not that it really changed the meta in regards to its weak typings. Fire-type will always be weak so long as Stealth Rock is the bullshit it is, people still only really run Toxic out of Poison's moves particularly often, and Steel-types are more likely to just try and take a Fairy out with something else hard hitting rather than run an actual Steel move (exceptions apply).

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 18, 2017

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Probably one of the more surprising and unpleasant (to run into) additions to S&M that you'll encounter early is the Machop line getting Knock Off at lvl 21. Knock Off of course being a physical Dark-type move, where previously the only moves the line learned were either Fighting or Normal. The line also gets a physical Dragon move now as well.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Eh, maybe some exclusive move. Attack/Heal Order are completely exclusive to Vespiquen, and I don't think GF is ever going to change that.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I think people are missing the point when they're saying "well, why don't they just make their own IP?" These are freeware games, and the developers aren't interested in making their own IP - they're interested in making a Pokemon (or whatever franchise) game, because they like the setting and want to put their own story in. The small developers that actually make their own IPs generally charge for their games, since they can due to actually making money off an owned IP is is significantly more clear cut violation of the laws. Some companies tend to be somewhat lenient of freeware as well, though Nintendo is not one of them.

And yeah, copyright laws are an utter mess, and massively favor large companies over anyone else. A Marvel comic popped up early last year with artwork blatantly stolen from another company's IP - a company that is notoriously litigious about going after anything that even seems to be a violation of their IP. In a shocking twist they did not, in fact, go after Disney for the violation despite it being far more clear cut and blatant than 90% of the stuff they do go after.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

LAY-ZX posted:

Attempting legal action against Disney is something akin to taking on a Metal Gear with a butter knife. Though at the risk of derailing this thread again, I am curious about what this particular issue was.

Oh, I'm fully aware of why they didn't go after Disney. It's just an excellent example of how lovely the laws are - they don't actually protect the ones who need it the most (not that GW specifically really needs it), smaller companies, from larger ones, because certain companies can and will just hold it up in court until the smaller one is bankrupted by legal fees. Even in a case of a massively blatant violation.

Note that though I picked pictures with physical versions of what was ripped off, in reality what the artist did was not even bother to draw them - they found online models and blew them up. Best illustrated in that second picture, where the circular symbol in the upper right is the actual door - they blew up the major portion of the model, but didn't bother with that separate part of it. Also why there seems to be just empty space directly on the other side - there IS nothing there, because it was a picture designed to only be seen from a single side.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Not that I don't mostly agree with the opinions on the actual design of the new fakemons we've seen so far, but are we really trying to complain about the feasibility of a two-headed snake pokemon somehow tunneling? In a world where Garchomp the "flies faster than a jet aircraft" exists?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Eh, plenty of people have a bad tendency to hoard their master ball indefinitely anyways - "But what if I need it later?" syndrome - so them forgoing the free one isn't really that bad on its own. Besides, real players want their team to match and catch everything they want to use in premium balls (or dusk). :colbert:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

This seems like another case of Uranium designing around expert/obsessive/competitive-scene play, though? I don't have stats or anything to back it up, but I'd assume that, outside of the "has nightmares about shiny Beldum recoiling itself to death" crowd, most players are going to err on the side of "wasting" their Master Ball than hoarding it, and will probably feel grateful that they could just shortcut catching that legendary who broke 20 Ultras or whatever. It's kind of vestigial but it's still a nice quality-of-life tool for some players, so it feels like another possibly-inadvertent but casual-player-hostile design choice, especially since I'd lay money on Uranium having at least one lovely old-school "you get one chance, hope you brought enough Ultras or are ready to savescum" legendary fight.

EDIT: Also, so this post isn't just game design fanfiction, Backhoe Dragon is pretty decent! I feel like "Pokemon design that's stupid in the MY ORIGINAL POKEMON BY DAVID, AGE 10 style" is a step up in design sensibility from "Pokemon design that's stupid because you just drew a lump with wings or a hat."

...Actually, it was referencing how a lot of people playing JRPGs (or other games with consumables for that matter) have a bad habit of ending the game with an inventory full of very nice consumables of all varieties, because they never used them due to thinking they might need them more later. The master ball falls into the same category (at least for those not reading guides) because it's easy to fall into "but what if there's a pokemon even more annoying to catch later?" when considering using it. Admittedly, this is likely somewhat more of a problem for early teens onwards than children under ten.

Not including the free master ball could possibly be argued as a bad gameplay choice, but it's not really something aimed at the expert/obsessive/competitive crowd.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

To be fair, that's been an issue with almost all the really good triple evolution dragons. By the time it finally hits its final evolution and you get your 600 stat monster you're done, or nearly done, with the main game as a whole.

At least until SuMo came along and you can acquire a lvl 9-12 Salamence on the very first island with some effort. :shepface:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Yeah but Jangmo-o is in the last patch of grass before the last trial in the game.

Which is why i bred-up about 40 of them and wonder traded them away, go have fun little jimmy.

...So you wonder traded them a bunch of lvl 1 stage 1(out of 3) dragons that don't evolve until 35/45. Congrats? As opposed to a goddamn fully evolved dragon that is just randomly available on the first island through S.O.S. battles at levels far below where it normally evolves at. I'm not talking about catching and using Bagon here (though that's obviously an option too; and Goomy on island 2), I'm talking about you can literally catch Salamence at those levels.

Stage 1 dragons are not very good, even with the neat typing on that one.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Unknown Quantity posted:

A reminder that it can either use Shift Gear on its first turn or pack Speed Boost and outspeed anything that would have a higher base speed, so it has to have the right typing to survive a (potentially boosted) hit first. Not to mention it can still just spam Iron Head and potentially get a win off of flinch spam. Lastly, no Earthquake, but it has Drill Run, so it can just go first and potentially get an OHKO off of a neutral crit.

Skarmory has Sturdy (unless you really want Keen Eye or Weak Armor, I guess), so you're not OHKOing it. Now the only thing Skarmory can realistically do to it is Whirlwind it away, so it's still not a real counter, but eh. Aegislash seems like a fairly good counter though, given it resists many of the moves MEGAWEAPON is likely to be running, has King's Shield to threaten usage of all those contact moves on top of that, and Sacred Sword alongside its massive 150 ATK to threaten the Steel side of MEGAWEAPON. Speed Boost isn't even terribly useful in that case, since King's Shield has priority and anything else will still be hitting that monstrous 150 DEF before Aegislash stance changes.

I agree that the competitive environment talk is getting a bit silly though.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Straight White Shark posted:

So... wait. Does this mean every dual type that doesn't include steel or nuclear is 4x weak to nuclear? If so that is definitely a cool, thematic, and well thought out mechanic.

...Glancing at the wiki pokedex, that is exactly what it means! Guess you should really be using those single typed mons then, yeah? :v:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Ehhhh until Arceus canon decrees the continued existence of the Wall of the Faithless he got nothing on AO in terms of being a dick

Wouldn't the FR cosmos basically collapse without the Wall of the Faithless at this point? I mean, the god who initially set it up did it mostly out of pure spite, but after AO changed the cosmos rules to force the deities to actually respect their followers (before the cosmological change it was nice to have followers; afterwards the gods suddenly needed to have followers, or they'd start losing their powers), so the Wall of the Faithless sort of represents the other part - giving mortals an incentive to actually worship something. Alternatively Faithless souls would just clutter up the Fugue Plane, ripe for stealing by various evil outsiders, without it.

Generally don't view that as just being a dick. It's not a nice move, but one better than the alternative.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Honestly, the Ice Heal one is a bit egregious even with GF's own occasionally absurd evolutionary requirements taken into account. There are only like 5 moves(Blizzard, Ice Beam, Ice Punch, Ice Fang, Tri Attack) in the entire game that cause the Freeze condition, all of them are high power moves, and 3 of them only have a 10% chance of causing it. And the two that have a 20% chance both have multiple potential status procs attached to that percentage which means the chance of Freeze is even lower with those. Even if you're fully aware of that evolutionary requirement it's a pain in the rear end to actually do, which most of the others mentioned (aside from trades) aren't - they're absurd to figure out, but relatively easily done once the conditions are known.

Hell, I've gone through entire playthroughs without seeing the Freeze condition pop up.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

But nuclear bombs explode, surely nuclear power plants are just very slow bombs. It's only sensible! :eng99:

Not that I disagree, but this is basically the cultural image of it passed around in the real world - it's one reason it's so expensive to build the things, or why even the extant ones are mostly gen 2 reactors when far safer designs (and the ones we have are already pretty safe) have been around for decades. I wouldn't necessarily expect the type of people who've made the type of.... "game" we've seen so far to necessarily be read enough to know that; hell plenty of actual game developers keep putting exploding nuclear reactors in their games.

Also, while most of the designs have been really goddamn bad, and these two new ludicrous 'mons are exactly that, I'm kind of waiting to see what's up with the legendaries. It's not like GF has never released really loving dumb stuff even outside of legendaries - Wobuffet (and Shadow Tag) comes to mind, as does loving Stealth Rock. That's an entry hazard that should have been removed the next generation after it was introduced, not still around. Note I'm fully aware Uranium has been consistently bad with these setups as opposed to just the occasional misstep, but GF is not exactly sparkling clean either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

rannum posted:

I feel like most legendaries also aren't quite on the level as, uh, this.

Like Marshadow is insane but it's also an event pokemon and doesn't have 5 stabs

To be fair, I've yet to see anything in this game that Mega Rayquaza doesn't obliterate. Admittedly that official 'mon is so bullshit overpowered it even got banned from Ubers, but the point stands. :v:

Although now I'm curious how Nuclear-typing interacts with Delta Stream. Was Strong Winds weather programmed to just cancel super-effectiveness vs. Flying typing, or was it specifically coded to the three elements that are SE against Flying types in the normal games?

• Locked thread