Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

inthesto posted:

Even if the game advertises itself as such, there's still a lot of work that needs to be put in to make it a well-designed game. Just the stat screen in the OP alone demonstrates pretty well that this is not a well-designed game.
This is a key point. Far too many of these romhacks half-rear end the difficulty increase and end up terribly balanced. "Well, let's just fix Known Bugs A and B, raise boss stats by 20%, and call it a day." Uh, no. That makes the game harder but not necessarily in an interesting way.

All because you're shooting for Harder doesn't mean you throw balance out the window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Also I keep thinking the green HP bar is part of the UI background.

Wait, what the hell? That green thing is the HP bar?

I thought that was just a background behind the HP number, similar to the white box around the HP bar and name from the main series games.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

I could be wrong, but i'm guessing this is best exemplified by Fairy. I'd really love a reasonable explanation for how they came up with what it resists and what it's super-effective against. As opposed to, "Well, they're three types that only have 2 weaknesses each, so let's just go with those three," which seems to be the reasoning. Weak to Fire, Poison and Steel, and Strong against Dark, Fighting, and Dragon, seems like such a random assortment of typings.
Fairy actually mostly works.

Weaknesses:
>Steel: Traditionally iron is a ward against magical creatures in general and fairies in particular. As an interesting side note, in stories where both iron and steel exist, usually it's only iron which works and not steel - presumably under the theory that the extra carbon in steel blurs the line between 'metal' and 'living' enough to ruin the effect.
>Fire: Similar to iron, circles of fire (often holy/magical fire) appear in a bunch of stories as a way to trap fairies or angels.
>Poison: I don't know, but the argument that cugel made about industrialization/chemicals is probably decent.

Strengths:
Dark: Fairies are often portrayed as light-aligned creatures, so being able to handle darkness just sort of comes with the territory.
Fighting: Fighting mons are raw physical power, whereas Fairies are magical beings, so magic>physical strength.
Dragon: I can't honestly come up with a reasonable one. This one seems pretty much just a pure concession to gameplay mechanics. If you want to stretch it, maybe you could argue that fairies are typically small so they can fly circles around the wildly oversized dragons and target the small gaps in the natural armor of dragons.

That said, even with a couple of questionable ones, it's still pretty drat impressive that the vast majority of strengths/weaknesses in Pokemon actually make logical sense. Though Bug doing reduced damage to Fairy seems kinda out-of-nowhere unless maybe you want to argue that they're both kinda small so Fairy sees Bug attacks coming more than most types.

Also, while I don't pretend to know anything about the high-level scene, it seems like Bug has reduced damage to a crapload of types. Was there some kind of gameplay/balance thing that Bug needed another 1/2-damage type to fix?

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 18, 2017

• Locked thread