Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Jesus loving Christ that's rude as poo poo. I've heard horror stories about this game's... difficulty curve, but oh man I don't think I knew just how deep that rabbit hole went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

senrath posted:

From what I saw, complaints about SuMo being easy were less about the actual difficulty and more about things like the game telling you the effectiveness of your moves.

I don't really get that complaint, why is it bad that you don't have to have a 18x18 chart of type relations memorized? Why are QOL features equated with difficulty? The game doesn't even tell you if a move is good against a Pokemon or not until after you've encountered it once. Are Mega Man games after the NES era easier because you can quick switch between weapons with L and R buttons?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh absolutely, these things make the game easier. But they do so by removing bad difficulty. Just like, say, a game may be easier than its predecessor because it adds an option to skip battle animations, which means you need less patience when grinding; the predecessor was technically harder, just not in a way that any sane person would care about.

QOL features make games easier to play, they don't and shouldn't have an impact on a game's actual difficulty. Totem Lurantis is a hard fight regardless of whether or not the game tells me that my Charjabug has super effective moves against it. The important distinction I'm trying to make is that difficulty =/= accessibility. Making a game easier does make it more accessible, but the inverse should not be true. It's a fine line trying to distinguish the two, but I usually categorize it based on whether a feature reduces busy work or if it reduces actual challenge.

For example, Shin Megami Tensei 1 for SNES had you pop into the menu and go through a few screens to see your map, which is a lot of tedious busy work. The sequel cut out that busy work and just stuck the map on the R button. SMT2 isn't any easier than its predecessor because the map is easier to access. For an example of a feature that reduces challenge, Mega Man 2 introduced E Tanks, which generally made the game a lot easier than its predecessor because you can now heal to full without needing to hope for health drops from enemies.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

There are also some cases where you don't want to pull out the SE moves right away, like what if you wanna use a status move? A lot of modern SMT games have an auto battle function that automatically hits weak points, but you don't necessarily always want to use it for one reason or another.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

The Pokemon games started doing this since Gen VI.

This has made the first battles of X, Y, Sun and Moon hilariously easy because they're against the starter weak to yours.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Don't forget Dad getting so horribly depressed he abandons you with Grandma. That stood out a lot to me too! Also, remember we've seen approximately 10-15 minutes of this game, so there's a lot to come!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Phantump is the spirit of a child that died in the woods, also.

Oh boy is it time to post Pokedex entries??

Alakazam, Moon posted:

Its brain cells continue to increase in number until its death. The older the Alakazam, the larger its head.

Primeape, Sun posted:

It has been known to become so angry that it dies as a result. Its face looks peaceful in death, however.

Metapod, Sun posted:

Its shell is filled with its soft innards. It doesn’t move much because of the risk it might carelessly spill its innards out.

I know there are more but I I can't remember what they are off the top of my head.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Gen 2 kinda tried that with the ability to handle the Cianwood, Olivine and Mahogany gyms in any order, but they did so by having their levels be about the same, which kinda hurt Johto's level curve.

It'd probably be more work to do it like this, but you could try something like dynamic level scaling, but instead of programmatically adjusting levels, you could have encounter tables and trainer teams determined by how many badges you have when you first enter that area, though that could be abused if someone were to access every area ASAP without actually getting any badges. Hmm, this is probably why Pokemon hasn't gone fully open world, because trying to figure out how to balance it would be a real pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

Wait, is owten an owl kitten thing? Because that's adorable. I bet they gently caress up the evolution though.

As far as difficulty in pokemon games goes, I discovered that playing as a gimmick team of all one type is a pretty interesting way to make the games more challenging without being bullshit. Sure, it's not too hard to get through the game if you have a well-balanced team set up to deal with any given type, but trying to make an all-steel (or steel/whatever) team work was difficult but really fun. I haven't played any of the games in ages, but next time I pick one up I figure I'll pick a type that isn't already taken by a gym/boss.

Just don't play S&M with mono-ghost or mono-psychic. Lots of things end up packing Crunch or Sucker Punch.

• Locked thread