Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

That reminds me of all the people bitching about sc2 letting newly built workers automatically start harvesting or the limitless selection size.

People hardcore on difficulty and skill tend to wind up insane is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Every time pokemon opened up progression to be non linear, the level curb goes to garbage and it is hands down the worst part of the game. To pull that off youd have to level scale every last trainer, not just the gym leaders.

That said those sections were better than what yall are making uraniums curve sound like

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Gen 1 lets you do Lt. Surge, Erika, Koga and Sabrina in any order as well... and even then you only need to do Koga before you can add Blaine to the list. Last time I played, I went Brock > Misty > Koga > Sabrina > Blaine > Erika > Surge > Giovanni. That was an experience, but it wasn't really difficult either really. Odd that there's nothing preventing it considering you get the ability to use Cut before you ever get Cut but since it's needed to access Surge, and all he gives is quick travel... :v:

Surge and Erika gyms can be skipped over, but unless you trade in or abuse bugs you have to go to vermillion for cut and celedon for the silph scope respectively. Its not really being able to tackle it in whatever order.

So its really only open for pick saffron or two routes into fuschia in which your first option is cool and you way outlevel the next pair.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Nah the best is still the first. A pissed off old guy who needs his morning coffee damnit!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Spinarek might have a dumb design, but its a competently drawn one. You can tell its a cute little spider with a stinger on its head. Compare that to uraniums barrell/corkscrew/blotch of brown and grey pixels.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Its also unlikely to happen now that nintendo just released their new handheld line. Any games not already in development for the 3ds are going to be produced for the switch now.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Honestly the backhoe looks like something you would find in banjo kazooie, not pokemon. That said its pretty amazing, which makes it the singular bit ive liked so far

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I like how in the discussion of the most digimon pokemon, genesect hasn't come up once.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I mean dragonite also looks cool in all its stages and has surf access to free up that party requirement without using a water type.

It had pretty good tm access in a game with terrible move pools as well if memory serves.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Lol they gave the kill or be killed, glassiest of glass cannons, super special monsters the ability to ignore you.

E: also the fuckin backhoe resists them because of course it does

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 16, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Bullshit they couldnt shoot down a fly
Bad Pokè Taro

The first time you use fly an f35 crashes into you because it's mildly rainy then?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

they did it way better when fairy was created, cause after 15 years they actually had learned something about development

Looks at all 4 of the mega evolutions available before the tiny post game

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

iospace posted:

Team Skull is probably both potentially one of the most dangerous, silly, and wholly self aware pokemon villain teams ever.

Which made them so much better.

I liked it when you reach there hideout and come to the depressing realization that for every one of them thats evil, there is a dropout kid with broken dreams who cant even afford to keep the pokecenter running.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

The Fighting-type is explicitly martial arts-based, so yes, the idea with it being super effective against the "hard" types (Ice, Rock, and Steel) is that really skilled martial artists can break hard stuff with their fists or whatever. And that's not an extreme example in terms of fiction, that's basically the bare minimum to qualify as an anime protagonist, nor in terms of the game, where every move is some sort of martial arts move or a Kamehameha. Fire, on the other hand, only has a couple moves that involve lava. Now, funny thing, while metal is usually harder to melt than rocks, their popular depictions are generally the other way around. Metal is much more frequently shown being melted down, welded, or otherwise adversely affected by heat, while rocks are often shown serving as the sides of a fire pit, smothering fires, absorbing heat for various purposes, and so on. That's why Steel is weak to Fire while Rock resists it.

Most type matchups make a sort of sense if you're willing to engage in some abstract thinking based more on fictional depictions and TV logic than reality. The ones that don't make a ton of sense to me are, first, why is Flying super effective against Fighting? I get the resistance (as silly as the "it's hard to punch a bird" logic sounds, it makes sense), but the weakness feels like an artifact of Fighting having once been some sort of "beast" type back when "Flying" was still "Bird" and all the types were going to be animals. The same goes somewhat for the mutual resistance between Bug and Fighting. I mean, there's a sort of logic to it (bugs are too weak to harm True Warriors, and when you try to squish certain beetles/roaches, they'll somehow be unharmed from the hit due to their shells), but it's a lot more flimsy than other matchups.

As for your assessment of Ice, I agree. It should resist Flying like Rock and Steel do, at least, and I'd even say it should resist Grass, as part of the "ice makes plants wither" logic.

Flying types can attack from weird angles and penetrate the fighters defensive stance maybe?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

A hermit crab that uses the ball you caught it with is a super cute idea

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

God, chainite is even worse than linkite.

Mostly because it made me realize that a ghost dude becoming a substitute doll in an identity crisis, getting over said crisis, and then evolving into a form where its ghostly self is literally breaking of out its substitute prison would be pretty rad, uplifting, little mini narrative.

You know, instead of the edgelord cringe they chose to make with the same base idea.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Yes yes, I know pidgeotto takes it to a nice farm where it can splash around.

Nah, he just knocks it unconscious

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Really? It's a rocket-powered power-armored cheetah

All it needs is some laser cannons and it'd be the perfect Zoid

Crossed with a gazelle!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Did he mean matthis? That statement works for matthis

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Plus the bug works for any encounter table, not just the garbage data from your player name. Want a safari zone rare but hate the safari game? You just got surf so you can immediately hit up cinnibar and teleport there for a normal random encounter.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

The idea is fine. The execution though...

I was going to say "pokemon_uranium.txt" but then I remembered:

We still don't have the watering can

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Master balls are for the games rattatta. no quesrions.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The non linear parts of pokemon have uniformly been the worst segments of every game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

But whenever the game says legendary they're using the dictionary definition. It's a creature of legend that many people don't believe even exists.

Calling them legendaries as in the class of super pokemon boss monsters is extremely fan jargon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Jesus. What was that plustle/articuno/lucario monstrosity?

• Locked thread