Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

gbuchold posted:

The next step is to remove a few thousand lines of used code

It's said that there's at least one unnecessary line of code in every program, and that every program has at least one bug; as a corollary, you can reduce every program to 1 line that does not work.

It is however rare that this would actually be considered an improvement over doing nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Vinylshadow posted:

MP2 (the entire Trilogy (+1 if one wants to preemptively count Prime 4)) was basically Space Pirates and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Bunch Of Months

Prime 1: "Hey cool, we found some space rocks! Let's see what they do! ...okay, control may be a bit of a problem, but we'll get there. Oh poo poo, Samus is here."
Prime 2: "Oh poo poo, there's more than one Samus."
Prime 3: "Oh poo poo, Samus is controlling us! Help us, Samus!"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

alcharagia posted:

Zero Mission is the best 2D Metroid game.

Its soundtrack was grating and the entire game post-Mother Brain was badly-designed, basically comprising one huge corridor wrapped around itself. AM2R is the best 2D Metroid by a comfortable margin, followed by Super Metroid and Fusion in whichever order you like.

I mean, I appreciate that Zero Mission recognized the importance of sequence-breaking to fans of the series, but at least for me, atmosphere and subtlety are far more important. Whatever Zero Mission is, it is not subtle.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh, and Actan is for actaniteactinium. I get it.

I don't want it, but I get it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Pyro Jack posted:

I get the feeling that CURIE actually being the mom wasn't the initial idea. Especially since there was absolutely no foreshadowing about it in the slightest if I remember correctly.

The introduction mentions that the protag's mom disappeared under ~mysterious circumstances~, which is the kind of Chekov's Gun that's so blatant that only a very badly-written story would play the reveal completely straight.

Hey-ho, look what happened.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Raserys posted:

that little reset bit has me wondering if there are any romhacks that try to recreate an undertale meta narrative

Rockman CX has an atrociously difficult fight with Dr. Light (who's basically Ryu) and he'll do Sans-style chats with you at the beginning of each attempt.

But uh, good luck finding a romhack that has a narrative of any kind that's worth a drat. People that can write good stories generally have better things to do with their time than hack ROMs.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

The thing to remember about this listing is that it was created by a neural network (just the names/abilities, not the art of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

the Orb of Zot posted:

To think of what would have happened if this actually had continued development under the original developers, since the postgame apparently would have had a heavy focus on the pirates we saw earlier (aka the best antagonists in this game), and maybe they would have realized one or two of their mistakes and actually fixed them.

9 years in development. The devs weren't going to learn poo poo.

• Locked thread