Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

senrath posted:

From what I saw, complaints about SuMo being easy were less about the actual difficulty and more about things like the game telling you the effectiveness of your moves.

Which is funny because the Shin Megami Tensei series has been doing that for like two decades now. Clearly, those games are baby's first JRPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

FPzero posted:

I'm not aware of any offhand. Sounds like it could have been the topic of a GDC talk or Gamasutra article though. My own guess is that Game Freak generally takes a very careful look into mythology, culture and tradition when designing new pokemon for a region. Like with Sun/Moon, there are a lot of island creatures mixed with tribal design and legend from the general part of the real world the game takes place in. Their designs are almost never as simple as "it's a happy bat but with a fluffy tail." Well, post-Gen 1 designs anyway; there were some pretty lazy ones there.

All the gen 1 designs are weird for a very specific reason. They were all done by programmers for the original red and green versions, and then only given art and real designs afterwards by Ken Sugimori. The designs that we got in the US for red and blue are actually the second iteration based on the designs Sugimori was able to puzzle out from the mess that was the original sprites.

The ones on the left are the original sprites from Green and Red in Japan.

For subsequent generations they just had the artists design new pokemon, so you don't get krabby, the crab pokemon that is just a crab.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Gridlocked posted:

What IS it though?

It's a Mr. Saturn that has been made cool by the Pigmask Army :ohdear:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

You can't fool me! This is just a landorus hiding underground!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bluhman posted:

The head is at least, but for all we know Diglett could be a gigantic drill or some kind of mole-like body beneath the dome head.

I'm just still marveling at how stupid the name Terlard is, it's just brain-dead designing a name for something by mashing up 2 terms related to what it is ("Terra Lizard") and then not regarding at all how the combination actually sounds. Terlard would be a much better name for a fat lizard snorlax creature, if anything.

So far the names in this game are remarkably terrible. Like this guy thinks that portmanteaus are the height of cleverness, and he doesn't have to do anything besides throw two relevant words together any old way and he's got a perfectly good name.

Names are tricky, I am absolutely terrible at coming up with names, but this dude is the worst at names.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Unknown Quantity posted:

If Pokedex entries were real then India, or at least Indian Elephants, exist in the pokemon world. Which begs the question of why we can't capture an Indian Elephant.

There hasn't been a game set in poke-India yet. Duh.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm liking this LP.

Also this thread is getting me curious about getting the new Pokémon game, but I heard that Nintendo made an upgraded version of the 3ds, and all their new games will require that version (Including Sun & Moon). Did I just mishear this news? Cause I'd much rather not have to buy a new 3ds when the one I have still works fine.

You misheard. There are a handful of eshop games that require the new 3ds, including SNES VC oddly enough, but as far as I know it's not required for any full-price games. It'll make some look better or easier to play, like Monster Hunter or Hyrule Warriors, but afaik the only improvement in Pokemon is framerate in a few scenes.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Classy Hydra posted:

The framerate'll chug like a madman in any situation where there's more than two pokemon onscreen (particularly if it has to render weather effects), but Sun and Moon are fully playable on a standard 3DS.

Not as bad as the horde battles in XY, though. I swear that dropped it to single digits sometimes.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mister Olympus posted:

Honestly this game suffers the most from sticking to pre-SM series traditions. Death to HMs.

It's hard to blame it for that, considering it came out a few weeks before SM.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Added Space posted:

So, for non poke maniacs, why is speed so good to have when attacks are always locked one-to-one?

If you go first, you're more likely to win damage races and you get a chance to prevent your opponent from attacking at all. Either by giving them a status ailment (sleep, freeze, paralysis), making them flinch, or just knocking them out with one attack.

It's a huge advantage in basically any circumstance.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

All they need to do is add a difficulty setting for the official games. I think there was a hard mode in BW, but it was only after you beat the game and didn't change move pools or AI or anything, just bumped levels up.

But I imagine that the time and effort it would take to make a satisfying hard mode wouldn't be worth it for the relatively small audience of hardcore players. Who would then just say it's still too easy anyway.

Much more cost effective to keep it in the competitive scene and the post-game gauntlets. Your battle frontiers and subways and maisons and trees and whatnot. So the hardcore people can blow through the story with little effort to get to the stuff they want, and everyone else can just play the game without worrying about it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

All of 'em. Freechman is rad too.

He's distracted because he should be studying in his was studying laboratoried.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

LupusAter posted:

And again, when talking about fanmade games, Pokemon Sage takes the concept (pokeball mimic) and executes it a lot better.

Oh my gosh it's adorable :3:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Genocyber posted:

Or Pancham evolving only if it levels up with a Dark type in the party. Weird level up conditions are fine so long as they're hinted at in some fashion.

The evolution method for inkay > malamar is not hinted at all in XY. If it weren't in an official guide it would be the stuff of crazy playground rumors, but actually true.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

If this mess of a game teaches you anything, let out be that puns are great and portmanteaus are the worst.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

turn off the TV posted:

It's so when you have two kids you buy two copies and two systems, and I imagine this is also why there's only one save slot.

I'm certain that was originally a technical limitation. Red and Green were held together with chewing gum and hope. When they brought Iwata in to help with G/S, he fixed so much stuff they were able to fit Kanto on the cart.

After that it's either what you said or just tradition.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hammurabi posted:

So what I'm getting is that I really need to play SMT

You should play SMTIV Apocalypse. You get to kill God! Actual Abrahamic YHVH too, not some JRPG euphemism. It's okay, he's a real dick.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Strange Journey has such a good premise, but yeah it really is awful to actually play. Definitely play older games before newer ones, the way they improve the fusion mechanics over time make it extremely difficult to go back.

To get back on topic, SMT always does an amazing job of juggling tones. It's usually set in post-nuclear-apocalyptic Tokyo that has been taken over by literal human-eating demons. And yet there's plenty of room for jokes and levity, especially in demon negotiation. They do a great job not letting things get too grim (except maybe in Digital Devil Saga).

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Aerdan posted:

uhhh

No, it just steals the Magikarp and forces you to catch a new one. The pokémon doesn't die on-screen or anything like that.

Yeah, the magikarp only dies if you run into a pokeball on your way back from training and try to take it. Most of the time it's a voltorb and it blows your magikarp to smithereens.

Magikarp Jump is pretty great.

e:

Begemot fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 31, 2017

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

You can't quote this unparalleled classic of modern literature and not link it!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Proud Rat Mom posted:

Is it wrong to think despite fan game jankiness and amateur writing, uranium is ok? Like the rest of you are treating it like it's super terrible but it seems pretty competent to me.

I can assure you that everything that makes it look competent is from the pokemon resource pack for rpgmaker. All the hard work of getting the basics of a pokemon game going were done ahead of time, by someone else, more than a decade ago.

Everything the devs actually did, the writing and level design and game balance and new pokemon, is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

RandomMagus posted:

I've been reading it as Infla-Geet-ah with a Hard G. Inflame-conflagration-cheetah.

Infla-jeet-ah rolls off the tongue a bit better though.

If it was supposed to be a hard g like "conflagration" then it should've been inflagretah. As it is, the infl- part makes me think of inflate and I always think it's some sort of balloon pokemon.

This is why portmanteaus are terrible!

• Locked thread