Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

dungeon cousin posted:

Is Life Orb really the most influential held time in Pokemon history? I thought it would have been that has been around for a little longer like Leftovers.

Leftovers are only really good on bulky or somewhat bulky Pokemon nowadays. Fragile Pokemon don't benefit as much from the residual healing, and there's usually something else they can go with. They were pretty much the only viable held item in Gen II competitive because that was pretty much Stall: The Metagame (A really defensive playstyle). The other held items didn't provide enough of an effect, and were only seen on specific sets (i.e. whatever the equivalent of ChestoResto was back then) or not seen at all.

The more common items you tend to see on offensive Pokemon nowadays are either a Choice Item, which provides a 1.5x boost to Attack, Special Attack, or Speed, depending on the item but it locks them to the first move they use until they switch out. Or a Life Orb, which provides around a ~1.3x boost to all damage with the aforementioned 10% HP penalty. The Life Orb doesn't provide as much power, but it's generally seen as the item with the least hindering drawback. You're not gonna put it on a bulky Pokemon, and the life loss tends to not make that much of a difference when it comes to taking hits on fragile Pokemon. So if the Pokemon doesn't need the raw power from the Choice items (Or really cannot benefit from them at all due to wanting to use several moves while its out instead of being locked to 1 move), this item tends to be what a lot of people fall back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Life Orb only activates when the Pokemon attacks. So it's better for a Pokemon that can buff themselves. 10% isn't completely negligible, but it's very minor compared to how much damage Pokemon can dish out in general.

It also does not activate if the Pokemon has the Magic Guard ability (prevents all indirect damage) or if they have the Sheer Force ability (removes a secondary effect from a move if it has one, in exchange for a 30% damage boost.) and the self damage doesn't kick in if Sheer Force affects the move. So it is generally a staple item on Pokemon with those abilities.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

GirlCalledBob posted:

Now I'm curious: What about Pokemon who literally have Explosion/Self Destruct? Do they still get the power boost, because they definitely can't take the 10% damage. Being fainted and all.

Yes, because the damage boost is applied to the attack first, and the HP penalty occurs after the Pokemon has finished attacking.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Zore posted:

Not that many tbh, since most Mega-evos are worthwhile for their abilities more than the raw stat increases. Alakazam and a few others for sure though.

Yeah, I think the only Mega a Life Orb really invalidates is Mega Latios. The attack boost is pretty much overshadowed by it, and the other stats don't get boosted enough to really justify using it. Some other megas are kind of redundant, or kind of make the Pokemon worse (Mega Garchomp in some cases.) But there aren't too many cases of that in the first place.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I don't think there's any salvaging Chainite. That design just dives headfirst into edgelord territory.

The Golux posted:

More than that - The Hidden Power checker is the person who gives you the TM in at least Kalos and Alola.

They were even nice enough to put it in the same place as the Nusery, where you got your eggs. So if you were trying to breed for a specific Hidden Power, you could check very easily.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It has a BST of 600, so it's basically a legendary Pokemon.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, that's a pretty good design and some very nice spritework, but it does not belong anywhere near a Pokemon game at all.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Raitzeno posted:

Oh also, I recall hearing about this early in Z/O but I dunno if it made it into the current or final or whatever version: Just to be extra douchey, there was an AI setting used for some trainers (Gym Leaders etc) that made it so the opponent knew which move you'd input and then chose its move accordingly, rather than at random or using a different algorithm. So it knew when it could get free switch-ins, when to set-up because you were gonna Protect, etc.

What does that even add other than "difficulty?" How are you supposed to beat that? No Pokemon game ever goes that far with its trainer AI.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Zore posted:

Yeah, you have to use all 3 other moves at least once in the battle before you can use it.

Or cheese it by only having Last Resort in your movepool. I'm a little surprised Uranium didn't do this tbh.

They need to know at least 1 other move. Game Freak thought ahead and made it fail if it's the only move the Pokemon knows.

How exactly does that AI script work? Some of the advanced trainer AI in the official games checks for potential combos built into the AI in the Pokemon's moveset, and would most certainly know about restrictions like the one on Last Resort.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 22, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Game Freak has been trying to make things easier on the competitive end, but it does still have some bloat to the system. A Pokemon's IVs can be maxed out in Sun and Moon, but level grinding to 100 is an absolute chore in that game due to using Gen V's exp system.

Uranium doesn't have any of those convenience features, right? How easy is it to grind for specific EVs in Uranium?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

the Orb of Zot posted:

...I just realized something.

So Nuclear Pokemon, on top of their altered typeline, also have a different palette (and occasionally sprite edits).

Shiny Pokemon differ from regular Pokemon due to their different palette.

Is it possible to (if the 1/4096 chance is hit) find a Shiny Nuclear Pokemon?

Nuclear Pokemon do have separate shiny sprites.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Tae posted:

Three million? The joke doesn't work with fake numbers.

It's what was actually claimed in this video,

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I can barely stomach Reborn. I don't want to see something worse than that. :gonk:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Incidentally, the Pokemon Sage people released the 2nd demo.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Every new thing I learn about Gen 1 just fascinates me and makes me amazed that the games held together as well as they did. Most of the glitches there you'd have to go out of your way for to trigger.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The other joke with the Youngster in SM was that he was one of the very first NPCs you met.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Silegna posted:

And I'm not caught up..Holy crap, this game is bad. Also. Why is the BACKGROUND UI THE HP GAUGE? And that Hippo Pokemon? That's an edited Hippowdon. I just downloaded Sage, on prompts form here, and hoping it's better than this.

It actually feels like a Pokemon game. Which is to say that it's far better than Uranium. It also includes a run button toggle. Seriously, why didn't Game Freak bring that feature back? :argh:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Does the Pokemon Essentials package even have trainer AI that advanced yet? I know the main games themselves considerably stepped up some of the trainer AI in the more recent games.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I forget, which Pokemon in Uranium has Flash Fire or a similar ability?

But yeah, that fight is just awfully designed. The ways you have to deal with that broken mega are really limited.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Tiko's Inflagetah has a ridiculously good chance of OHKOing level 70 Pajays with Extreme Speed. You need maxed IVs and either nature or defense EVs just not get bodied instantly.

Once you get past that, it takes max investment and at least a Life Orb or Mystic Water to consistently 2HKO said Inflagetah with a super effective Hidden Power, and Choice Specs to get Air Slash to the same. No item boost dooms them to 3HKOs. A Flash Fire boost with Sun and Choice Specs can get Overheat to a OHKO.

This is all assuming 31 IVs in HP, Defense, and Special Attack at level 70 with a Modest nature. Anything else and you get the 1-perhaps-2 punch.

:catstare:

What the everloving gently caress?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Top Boy truly is the best. :3:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Onmi posted:

Oh then yeah, if you lose here, it's a Game Over. You're forever locked in here unable to get out. So if you saved before fighting Gamma Urayne, and were completely unprepared The game is now locked and you can never win because losing results in a game over and you cannot leave to grind or change your team.

There's a reason why Pokemon doesn't pull game overs and instead boots you back to a certain point. Avoiding unwinnable situations (At least very easily accessible ones) is especially important when the player has the ability to save anywhere. Just pulling off something like that is just failing basic game design.

XavierGenisi posted:

To be fair, you have an entire fight before Ghetsis shows up to use your legendary, and once Ghetsis rolls around, it isn't insta-dead weight for the entire fight. It might be at a disadvantage at some parts, but you aren't phenomenally screwed for trying to use it against anything else that he throws at you

Like, there is a possibility that they wanted to do something similar with Actan and Urayne, but if that was the case, then they hosed it up anyways.

Hydreigon is the only real issue with trying to use your legendary dragon, and it's one Pokemon out of six. So yeah, it's not nearly as bad with what Uranium pulls here.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Silegna posted:

Jesus christ, this game just keeps getting worse. So, they ripped off the "You don't get to fight the champion!" thing from Black and White! WHICH DID IT FAR BETTER BECAUSE YOU HAD AN ACTUAL DUNGEON AND NOT JUST A LEVEL 85 SHITWRECKER.

Fighting N instead of Alder also had actual build up instead of coming out of nowhere. And N was an actual antagonist you encountered throughout the game, and the game was heavily hinting that the battle with him would be your final showdown.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

It also autosaves before you fight legendaries so you truly only get one chance, ever, to catch them.

:confused: No Pokemon game ever does that. At all.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Solumin posted:

I remember that rumor too. Maybe someone said it in the main Pokémon thread, before this LP started?

I'm sure that's where that misconception started. I was disappointed to find out she wasn't the Pokemon, as that would have been hilariously stupid instead of just predictably bland.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Dabir posted:

You can breed non-Alola forms of those Pokemon with a held item, though I forget which.

Everstone, but only if you have the Kanto version.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

quote:

I said consummate v's. Consummate! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Thank you for showcasing this awful game.

Scarodactyl posted:

Well, you asked for it...

Name=Mawuh
InternalName=MAWUH
Type1=FIRE
Type2=STEEL
BaseStats=0,400,1300,0,0,0
GenderRate=Female0Percent
GrowthRate=Fast
BaseEXP=225
EffortPoints=0,2,0,1,0,0
Rareness=100
Happiness=90
Abilities=RUMPOWER
HiddenAbility=
Moves=1,SCRATCH,1,PEPPERBREATH,1,BULLETSEED,1,FLASHCANNON,2,WATERGUN,2,CONVERSION,2,BULLETSEED,3,PARTINGSHOT,4,SEARINGSHOT,8,OCTAZOOKA,21,SPIRITSHACKLE
Compatibility=Fire1
StepsToHatch=5120
Height=0.5
Weight=14.0
Color=Orange
Habitat=GunRange
RegionalNumbers=120
Kind=DIGITAL
Pokedex=Mawuh is most dangerous in the morning hours when its naturally aggressive temperament is amplified by a headache.
BattlerPlayerY=9
BattlerEnemyY=10
BattlerAltitude=0
Evolutions=
202.png:
EDIT: forgot 202b.png
Stats are official.

This is amazing.

• Locked thread