Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Also, something I also loved about actual pokemon canon is that Dark pokemon cheat. They just don't fight fair. My favourite move in the entire series is that Dark move Beat Up, where you hit the opponent once for every pokemon in your team - yup, the dark Pokemon in play basically saunters over to the trainer's belt, releases the other five pokeballs, cracks his knuckles and they just gang up on the opponent, wailing on him.

My favorite thing about that is how Dark is the weakness for ghosts. Like, the trick to beating a ghost is that they're complete suckers for Queensberry rules, and if you start going for eye gouges and the like, ghosts won't know what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zore posted:

You can do that with just bite. One of Mortys Gengar is literally incapable of hitting normal types and like half the mons in the gym can only hurt them with curse.

I'm sorry, Morty. It's a bummer. In reality you're as dumb as they come.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

You misspelled Butterfree, aka your only hope of beating Brock if you went with Charmander.

Then again if you don't go with the water starter in every game you deserve all the pain you get.

Bulbasaur means three gyms on easy street, compared to Squirtle's one. It also means you're rolling with #1.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's much like its namesake.

Beloved by children?

A real nice fellow?

Can't remember Robert Ginty's name, so it always calls him "that paperchase guy"?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

That's actually a bit of a grey area in the "manmade" vs "natural" argument, given how heavily Pokémon bases things off Japanese mythology. Depending on the depiction, literally anything that has existed for a long enough time can gain a spirit of its own and become a tsukumogami, and while Japan itself has been cleaning up a lot in the past 30 or 40 years, its pollution issues were bad. Like, China or metropolitan USA levels of bad. It might be depressing to think "this pile of sludge/this garbage heap has been around for over a century and has attained sentience" but I think it's honestly the underlying design decision behind them.

Koffing and Weezing too, really.

Considering that Grimers eat pollution, I'd say it's more optimistic.

The garbage was so bad it became monster. But now that people want to fix things, even the garbage monsters are ready to help. Kinda cheery.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Paul.Power posted:

Golurk's pretty heavy, at 700lb+. Golurk's also one of the few unambiguously heroic ghosts though, so it's already kind of running in exception territory.

Golurk is who it chooses to be.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

My personal fan theory is that the games take place in a world widely inhabited by mysterious creatures called Pokemon. People live together with Pokemon, working with them, co-operating, and supporting one another. To some, Pokemon are pets, while others use them for battling in order to form life-long bonds between them and their Pokemon. But despite their closeness they don't know everything about Pokemon. In fact there are many mysteries, which is why some choose to study Pokemon as a profession.

Sounds pretty out there to me, honestly. Maybe you should add more curse words, to make it gritty and real.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

Hau and Tierno are very good actually. :catbert:

If I had to go for hard and fast... Hau, yes, Tierno, no.

I feel like Game Freak improved a lot in between X/Y and SuMo in the whole "These are your character's pals!" department. In X and Y, they felt awkward. Just this band of too many "friends" who were obsessed with you for some reason and who in three cases out of four weren't good at anything, and who you felt kind of bad for perpetually crushing in the other case. Meanwhile, Hau's kind of a likable doofus. He gets the vibe right for the later Pokemon games's friendly rival setup, because it's clear he doesn't much mind losing and a big part of why he's losing is that he treats the whole thing lightly. He's here to have a good time and sample the local cuisine, and if that gets him to the top, that's a nice bonus, not the main attraction.

Where Serena feels like a protagonist who had the bad luck to run into you, Hau feels like he's only so fired up because he's got a rival to spur him on. And unlike Tierno and company, he actually feels like he's accomplishing something in the narrative. Hau likes the player, but he also has goals of his own, and doesn't primarily exist to orbit the PC.

So, yeah. Hau. He's alright.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gologle posted:

I laughed my guts out, thanks. I had to choose between Ronch or Mawuh, but finally, as I'm a Digimon fan, I can't beat "Agumon, but with a gun."

Considering his ability is "Rum power", I'm forced to assume that's "Drunk Agumon, but with a gun."

The one thing that can beat "Agumon, but with a gun."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like if your Pokemon game does a cuss, you've already failed.

Well, diaper biscuits.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sorites posted:

Sorry; I've been singing it to 'O Fortuna' this whole time already!

I'll admit

Fate – monstrous
and empty,
you whirling wheel,
you are malevolent,
well-being is vain
and always fades to nothing,
shadowed
and veiled
you plague me too;
now through the game
I bring my bare back
to your villainy.

feels more suited to this game than

"Ooh, you make my motor run, my motor run" or "Never gonna stop, give it up, such a dirty mind"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

we are all garlikid

Not without 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 squats, and a 10KM run.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Brazil has the most amount of people of Japanese descent outside of Japan.

Therefore, the spew of weaboo poo poo that we just saw.

On the other hand, it also gives us "Jetstream" Samuel Rodriguez.

Swings and roundabouts.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The devs certainly like to think of themselves as villains victimizing Nintendo :v: though Nintendo could not possibly care less about them if they tried.

The team skull of fangame devs.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'm gonna split things down the middle and say that I have no idea what a "skinner box game" is, so I have no opinion of it.

Simple but unreliable reward loops built to encourage compulsive behavior. Common term when talking about mobile gacha games.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

It does get the Iron Fist ability, at least.

It also has shadow punch, which is pretty rocket punchy, in a ghost way.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

krisslanza posted:

Shadow Dragon is terrible because it encourages you to kill characters. What kind of monster plays FE without everyone surviving? :colbert:

Counterargument: What kind of monster lets Malakov live?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

We still don't have the Watering Can.

The real watering can was the friends we made along the way.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nebrilos posted:

Does anyone have that picture of a bunch of fake pokemon that included "just Agumon with a gun"? It was posted in this thread somewhere, but I lost it.

Don't say I never did nothing for you.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

Endorph! Endorph, Endorph!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bogart posted:

He's got Jack disease

Ripper Mode?