Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
a good number of pokemon can be described as "just an X", i think it's unfair to call it lazy tho, or do you want pokemon to be more like digimon and have numerous extraneous details on stuff like pidgey and rattata

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

I think it's more a retort to Gen1 elitism, i.e. rebuffing "new gens are stupid because look, this pokemon is just an ice cream cone or just a garbage bag" with "gen1 was just as bad, this pokemon is a loving pokeball and this one is a half-dozen eggs".

that's fine and dandy but i think it's a massive disservice to the designers of the pokemon to call them lazy designs

a better word would be uninspired or boring, i won't argue against that

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
didn't know gamefreak made resident evil

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Herr Tog posted:

You are correct, which is why is the quotes it is specifying Japanese made. There is reason for caution. Also if you get Poke-Britain wrong the only people complaining are not-customers and possibly Sikh's asking for representation.

you're just making the same post as loquacious, but longer. should i make the same response post but longer in return, or how does this work

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What you two should do is hush before it becomes a complete goddamn mess.

Or at least take it to the general Pokemon thread if it's not about Garlikid's stunning four-pack or arranging PUSSYMASHER's funeral.

do you think the mc of pokemon says good game after every battle, even if it wasn't

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

A bigger question wrt Jynx:

Why on earth was "frostbitten corpse" even on the list of designs?

parasect has just as much of a grotesque design influence

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
most pokemon are based off of nature and myths, and it turns out that both those things can be horrifying

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i'm always for crabs that aren't part water, and the coconut works as an armor so as long as it doesn't evolve into a ice type its cool

the snail would be cooler if it didn't look like it was made of jelly

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
tracton could do with not having friggin treads for legs, like that looks dumb as heck

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
not giving a masterball is so whatever i can't see why you'd be upset over it tbh

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

my tentacruel could totally beat up this loudred

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
eh it was shity when the prize for Gen 1 slots was a friggin porygon so i'm okay with them upgrading it to something worthwhile

course, the slots weren't available by the third gym so i guess its a wash

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
also OFS never showed any stats so i'm assuming something is terrible about it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

The Gen 1 Game Corner is in Celadon, so you could get a Porygon before fighting Erika.

eirika isn't the third gym, in badge order

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
holy poo poo that thing is a monster

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Aerdan posted:

Well...they're all still based on human byproducts.

Porygon could date from the 70s at the earliest. I'd estimate that the Pokémon universe's tech level is a few decades ahead of our own, given that they have things like an effective universal cure for venoms and toxins, as well as devices that instantly restore Pokémon to top condition. As such, it could be argued that porygon is also blurring the lines between manmade and natural. :v:

yeah i'm sure the ability to convert any amount of matter into pure energy to store in tiny balls to be recalled at anytime is only a few decades away

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

LAY-ZX posted:

That's not even technology, actually, it's naturally occurring. Apricorns were the original Pokeballs, used since ancient times!

that is actually still technology, tech doesn't have to be metal bits and computers

the first wheels were just wood after all

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
also it is established that you have to do something to the apricorns to catch pokemon with them, or else you would just be able to use them straight from the tree

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zore posted:

Yeah you have to fit them with the miniaturization device.

Basically pokeballs used to be artisnal and singular/expensive until the pokeball company came up with its cheap mass produced designs and forced the craftsmen out of buisness :v:

Note how the apricorn balls are all better than the mass produced crap that replaced them.

if ancient people in the pokemon world had access to miniaturization devices then pokemon tech is like, centuries ahead of us

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Forer posted:

That's the problem though, It's a pokemon so strong, it's not a matter of 'oh x or y or z pokemon can stop it', it's that you need to explicitly counter it like excadrill. It's a pokemon that would define the game and would be talked about as a thing that exists and is powerful, not like dodrio where it's like "why does this guy even exist? what weird gimmicks would we be able to exploit to even give this guy a fighting chance?"

dodrio was a pretty good mon in gen 1, it is fast and had a good attack

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Forer posted:

This is why I hesitated on giving a specific pokemon name, because I knew whatever pokemon I listed from changes in SM did people would be like "yeah that pokemon is good!"

now you've got it

KataraniSword posted:

Even if it could, Skarmory would be a brick wall for it. What's it gonna do, HP Fire off a base-50 Special Attack? :flaccid: That's not the only one, but it's the most obvious. (Of course, that's assuming Skarmory is in the game. For all I know, in Uranium, MEGAWEAPON could potentially have no hard counters because of the way the game's pokedex isn't sure if it wants to have normal 'mon in it or not.)

does skarmory have any way of hitting it tho? also why exactly are we treating this game like it has a competitive scene

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Man, if you guys are freaking out this much over Tracton, I can't wait until I get my Inflagetah.

i can't parse this name, and i'm not sure you're not just pulling one over on me

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
inflame was my first thought too, the getah definitely is throwing me

cheetah sounds plausible so sure im expecting fire cheetah now and will be terribly disappointed when its like, another mash-up of two animals like the cat owl

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

megane posted:

Maybe it's pronounced "in-fluh-gay-tuh" and it's one of these.

i changed my mind, i want this

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Between the not Shadow Pokemon and the prominence of Pokemon Rangers, the creators seem to have a real boner for the B and C list spinoffs.

gently caress you Colosseum ruled

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

I love Colloseum but XD was way better gameplay-wise. They turned shadow Pokemon from a pretty one-note gimmick to a genuinely interesting mechanic.

Game A being better then Game B does not neccesarily mean Game B is a bad game, so gently caress you colosseum ruled

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

It turns out that radiation poisoning causes the warrior transformation from Pokémon Conquest :haw:

(I think I'm the only person that remembers that game)

i like conquest, don't worry you aren't unique

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
in pop culture steel is always used for nuclear containment over water or other materials so eh, i'd give it a pass

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

Is water actually used to contain radiation? I was under the impression that its use in plants is to regulate temperature and create steam. Like, one of the problems surrounding the Fukushima plant is that its irradiating the surrounding ground and sea water.

contain might be strong but it does a good job absorbing rads yeah, you are correct tho water is only used to regulate temperature in plants (which is why the steam is allowed into the outside enviroment!)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i think the lil' unicorn guy is alright but if that one evolution is indicative of them both i wish he was just a single stage

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

That evolution isn't any worse than most of the recent designs.

i'm not entirely sure how thats relevant since i only compared it to its evolutions, unless you mean you think this

is equally as bad as minicorn, which i have to disagree with strongly

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the key chain is one of the best designs tho!????!?!?!?!!!!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
!!!!?!?!?!?????!!?!?!?!!??!?!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

freshlybaked posted:

I hope you don't also like Klinklingklangklang

the idea of klingklang is better then the execution, i'll grant you that

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Classy Hydra posted:

Object pokemon are cooler because they demand more attention to design in order to present them as living things, tend to have interesting backstories (Grimer are created by moon X rays wtf), and are often steel, poison or ghost types, all of which are top tier cool according to my inner child.

Cartoonifying some random animal straight-up is both lazier and less interesting than a set of living gears that grow by becoming a progressively more complex system imo. Pokemon should be weird and interesting, not literally just poo poo I see in a zoo.

animals are cool, actually

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
please make sure klingklang is off and de-engergized before petting. always tell klingklang's operator before doing any petting.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
yeah i like it too altho

Alacron posted:

It looks like a Ho-Oh prevolution.

this is true as heck

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

It doesn't really have a recognizable silhouette. That's not entirely a problem, but at the same time it kinda is.

Kinda looks like a dinosaur fish to me. Which would be a pretty cool Pokemon.

i'm sorry but i think your eyes are broken, and also that this complaint would be waaaaaaay to nitpicky even if it were valid

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the new legendary is wearing one of those airplane pillows, and the convo about gen one nostalgia has already occurred in this thread like 2 or 3 times, and i'm gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
armaldo is a lot of things, but charizard knockoff is not one of the ones im seeing

• Locked thread