Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I've actually had the same idea for a tournament structure, but that was always in lead up to the E4, and would feature your actual rivals/important NPCs that you directly interacted with or inspired. I don't hate this. I hate the actual implementation but I don't hate this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
No what's also stupid is what happens when you lose.

EDIT: removing that, I assume that OFS will cover it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Oh, no, actually. If anything I figured it'd boot me to the pokemon center right before the final round, or something.

Oh then yeah, if you lose here, it's a Game Over. You're forever locked in here unable to get out. So if you saved before fighting Gamma Urayne, and were completely unprepared The game is now locked and you can never win because losing results in a game over and you cannot leave to grind or change your team.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The main problem with a "Free roam" Pokemon game isn't the gym's. It's the encounters and trainer battles in between those Gym's. Sure, you can have 8 whole sets of trainer's, encounters and plot fights that update depending on WHICH badge you get in what order. But now you have to make sure they're all balanced especially around all the Pokemon they could have collected. It's one thing to balance around the player having a starter + Trashmobs with pokemon specifically caught in/around the area to help you fight the gym, but with "total freedom of movement" comes a LOT more problems.

• Locked thread