Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
What do people here think of Pokemon Reborn? It's kind of the same sorta 'it's pokemon but OOH DARK AND EDGY' i mean you watch a man kill himself, but it sorta goes so far in establishing the shithole nature of the setting that it's in a way something I got used to instead of just sorta thinking it's lame whenever it came up, aside from the above sorta egregious plot point. I never got far enough to see how rough later encounters get but I kind of found what I did play interesting in that it was explicitly designed with scarcity of resources in mind, including actual Pokemon mostly being in out of the way locations you have to really rummage around for, and most of the high-tier Pokemon are either not even available yet or things you can only get once through chains of events or choices

The field effect gimmick got a little obnoxious at times because it felt like it was the game kinda railroading you into a specific strategy. Said guy who jumped off a cliff had his MEGA ULTRA DEATH POISON field and ultimately the only practical way to deal with it is 'have a Pokemon with Gust', and basically it seems like it's a massive frustrating pain in the rear end unless you specifically have a Swoobat. I do think it's clever that the Gym Leaders try to subvert the usual 'just bring an x type' by having something else interesting going on, like how the Grass lady has this weird-rear end Sandstorm team but I'm dubious how much of my ability to get past them was my actual skill or just sheer luck with the specific team I selected. If nothing else though it's made very clear that no this is going to be a difficult game aimed towards people who play more competitively and know all the quirks of the series so at least it's up-front about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Onmi posted:

Pokemon Reborn is awful.

Well what are your specific complaints with it?

Mostly for perspective, the only people I know talking about it are the people who recommended it to me, who are very deep into competitive Pokemon, and like, the game's actual forums, so yeah I haven't seen what primary criticisms of it are like! As I said I didn't play very far because I just stopped playing games in general really.

Also I'm kinda sad the Dark type stopped being about being sneaky and cheaty and honorless and started being more I SHALL BLAST YOU WITH A LASER OF DARKNESS because that sorta stops making sense, like, it's obvious why Fighting types can lay the smack down on a sneaky bastard but what does that have to do with The Evil Dark Edgelord Of Nightmare Hell

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 18, 2017

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Onmi posted:

About a third of the gym leaders off themselves, the plot is absolutely rancid with "Hmm, this is something I saw in my tumblr feed and is an "Important Issue." I feel like I should tackle this in a Pokemon game." The battle balance is out of whack, the actual region itself looks like garbage. The characters are all hateable, its episodic nature is exhausting.

On top of that, understand what you're making and write appropriately. Having to watch a gym leader commit suicide because the woman she thought was her girlfriend was actually straight and just indulging her (Yes this actually happened) by throwing herself off a waterfall. I'm sorry, how is that Pokemon exactly?

okay when it happens multiple times that's kind of very dumb. like the first guy, okay, he was doing lovely things and now his kids hate him or something, fine, whatever but that should strictly be a one-time thing if you even decide this is something you want to have happen, it shouldn't be reliable that all your characters hurl themselves off a tall thing to solve their problems in basically any story

i didn't really go much farther beyond that, i think i was at the point where it was like 'well poo poo, he can't give you a badge, find someone who can' which is sorta weird and forced but now i remember someone saying 'goddamn like you never get badges from the actual people who are supposed to get them' so i see how that becomes a problem. i guess i just didn't get far enough for the difficulty to ramp up beyond the early-game's sorta-tough-but-not-if-you've-played-these-games level. never even left the main city either - that's a concept i did like, that like a third of the region is just this enormous city with different neighborhoods, it was at least a modestly creative place to set the beginning of the game instead of just the usual 'some small towns, and forests between them', but i really don't know anything about the rest of the region beyond what the main map presents, which is...sorta messy

speaking of which, there's Pokemon Sage, another fangame that is also set in a South America, I dunno anything about that one, its pokemon designs are slightly better than Uranium's so far but still very hit or miss. But a thing I did notice was how the first routes are actually all snowy, which I think is cool because for some weird reason Pokemon games always keep the very first ice types locked away until the very end of the game. Seafoam, Icy Path, Shoal Cave, Snowpoint, Mountain Kalos, I think the part in Alola they begin showing up is literally the Victory Road equivalent? Black and White were the only games that even kind of mitigated that since the Cold Storage is early enough and things like Vanilluxe appear in the middle of the game when it's winter, so you can get an Ice thing around gyms 4-5 instead of the usual 7-8. ...I am going to bet Uranium keeps them until the end though, hahaha

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 18, 2017

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

A GTA game where everything is resolved via Pokemon battles sounds just bizarre enough that it might work, if handled well.

that is a massive if

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's not the only reason things feels off.

GameFreak has the advantage of being able to design a ton of Pokemon and then whittle away any that don't meet their standards.

Fangames can't exactly do that, so if something's not up to snuff gently caress it, it's going in anyway because either money was paid for it or the sunk cost fallacy means any time spent on a sprite is a waste if it's not used.

oh, that's great, so Hydreigon was originally going to be a rad as hell army tank dragon but instead whatever the gently caress it is now was approved

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
we have barely started the game and already it is turning magical

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
pokemon quartz is a national treasure

i confess though: i think Plug-Oink is actually sorta clever and cute-ish. maybe it's just because it's the only one in the entire game that doesn't look like complete horrifying garbage and could potentially actually be a pokemon

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Ace of Aces posted:

I've heard people reference the "It was written by children!" thing before but I've never seen an actual source for it in a Pokemon game, so I've always assumed it was just fanon people were taking as truth.

i mean, you are playing a child, and presumably writing all these blurbs in the pokedex since it seems like some sort of junior science 'go document every animal that lives here' experiment, so the source is 'what you are doing in every pokemon game'

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

rannum posted:

I assumed Oak (Elm, Birch, etc etc etc) just already wrote out all the information available and "filling out the pokedex" works like the anime where it gives explorers a funucational goal

i think the usual line is that they're too old to do it themselves and that's why they're sending this youngster, kind of more tells me they want you to do something for science rather than just to motivate our heroes

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Begemot posted:

There hasn't been a game set in poke-India yet. Duh.

gently caress this'd be a stellar idea

India is like, purpose-built to be an RPG map because it was literally in reality extremely hard to get in or out of the place unless you were amazing at boats or didn't care about the most ridiculously hostile environments in the world at its borders. All sorts of cool poo poo in the area too, especially y'know, Mount Everest and all. Open to some amazing general world design and neat music, I'd be 100% a-okay with it, there and Australia are places I really want to see

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i wonder if they'll make a pokemon game in one of the like three parts of Japan they haven't gotten around to yet...

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Poke-Britain could be neat I guess. Should Ireland be Tutotial Island like it is in Crusader Kings or should it just kick off in London and get to the point

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
at least Pokemon Clover is clearly supposed to be dumb, and at least some of the pokemon are worth a laugh, like the one that's just a cute raindrop but it's holding a gun, or Barbarkley, which is a basketball Barbacle. i hope whatever plot it has is equally dumb shitposting, instead of trying to be serious like this one

also hahahahah, Clover /also/ has construction equipment lizards, Lizascoop and Reptrill

really i don't get the pokemon in this game that /aren't/ stupid 4chan-ey jokes, like the ordinary-rear end fossil pokemon. i kinda wish they'd gone with something like 'dinosaur with ridiculously long neck to the point where the head is off-screen' or 'a neanderthal'

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i need to at some point play literally any pokemon game past black

hell i need to finish black 2

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Sound's a moderately solid type prospect, and I've always liked the idea of a 'synthetic' type, for stuff like Porygon and Genesect and possibly Voltorb. Sometimes I sorta think a Fossil or Ancient or Relic type would be neat too since I just think Rock is weird for all of those.

Fairy does pretty much cover Light though, a bit abstractly but it's a better type ultimately. Cosmic's very very limited in my opinion, right now it would by and large cover space stuff which is like seven or eight Pokemon and like five moves, most of which are legendary, there'd need to be a game that explicitly has like, a space colony or orbital ring as a major area for me to say that a space-ish type is suitable. And Mystic's way too abstract, and they didn't really define it. A good type immediately evokes an idea of what it's supposed to be and obviously describes the Pokemon in question while also not being too specific, and Mystic seems like it just treads ground that Psychic handles fine.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

LAY-ZX posted:

B-but all of the fossil Pokemon are literally made of stone

It never seemed like they were all stony to me? Aerodactyl's just a pterodactyl, its only the Mega who's particularly stony, Omanyte, Kabuto, and Anorith all are more buggy exoskeletons, Lileep's just a big round anemone, Archen just looks like a bird, and Amaura just looks like one of those long-necked dinosaurs. The only ones that are particularly 'rocky' to me are Shieldon/Bastiodon and Tirtouga, with a bit of a gray area for how Tyrunt and Cranidos are sorta craggy but not really any moreso than, say, Nidoking or Granbull. I always saw the rock type as just, since fossils come from rocks, but the pokemon themselves are just genetic recreations who don't have a reason to be composed of rock.

There's a lot more Pokemon I could see an Ancient/Relic type applying to as well. Baltoy, Dialga, Golett, Yamask, Relicanth, the golems, Mamoswine, maybe Yanmega? does it really lose anything being Bug/Ancient and discarding Flying. Moves are more limited, I can only think of Ancient Power and, appropriately, Roar of Time.

Also yeah Mega Evolutions are silly and IMO they should think about turning most of them into straight-up evolutions. Maybe they're an okay gimmick to make starter pokemon even more of a thing, but it's clear they're not going to stick with the concept and over half of them apply to mediocre 2-stage Pokemon.

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 2, 2017

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
a true neutral type is sorta weird to me when normal's supposed to pretty much be that - its not being good against rock/steel defines those two as being especially defensive, its being weak against fighting defines it as being especially offensive in nature, its mutual ineffectualness with ghost defines it as being especially unusual and tricky in nature. any kind of true neutrality ought to be a specific gimmick instead of an actual type really.

crystal's basically rock type anyway. and yeah, i agree with the sentiment that this big flashy poke fangame is going to exist as concept art and nothing else, i don't see any evidence that there is any video game being made yet so this is basically an elaborate showcase for some random fanart

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Mister Olympus posted:

This is a weird thing re rock that Gamefreak needs to drop, though

why though

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
frynai and saidine are actually pretty goddamn solid, i like their names and their designs overall, they do a great job of being cool and also goddamn adorable, Saidine's little headband and super serious samurai expression is just the most precious thing

Daikatuna fucks it up, all you had to do was make a swordfish but it had a katana, style its fins like a samurai helmet, and just call it Katuna. instead you have to make some weird fishman who taped a sword to its head, and name it after an internet meme so old that it could be a fossil pokemon

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
the surf ninjas are great, and legit a good way to make a water route more memorable than 'it is a water route with swimmers who use fish'. it's a stupid idea but it's a fun stupid idea and they poke it with the exact amount of frequency to make sure it doesn't overstay its welcome. one encounter to suddenly bring the idea, one to establish 'yes, this is a thing that happens here', one to conclude the concept, and then they just go away.

they don't do surfers enough anyway. have they...have they EVER done surfers on water routes? it seems so obvious and yet i can't recall them, just swimmers.

...they do have surfers in Alola right? surely they have surfboarding in the region based on the place that like invented the sport

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Vinylshadow posted:

Given how often each game introduced and subsequently discarded a gimmick, odds are we're not getting regional variants next game, especially if it's a Gen IV Remake

Gen IV is explicitly where the regional-form idea and form-changing in general started! Shellos and Gastrodon being the premier example as a species having differences depending on where you find it (though they're just cosmetic). I very much imagine Positioning Pearl and Dated Diamond being set up sorta like X/Y, with the two halves of Sinnoh getting separate Pokedex segments, and having more Pokemon that do the same thing as Shellos, but expanded significantly.

Also I doubt they've totally dropped the idea of Mega Pokemon? But I think they'll stick to introducing them in remakes to hype up the new things that go on in remade regions. I could definitely see them doing it for particularly prominent Pokemon owned by particularly prominent individuals. They already have Garchomp for Cynthia but they might change it around and give her a Mega Spiritomb instead (since they'll definitely be doing something different for that guy), Cyrus might end up rolling with a Mega Weavile, I'd be endlessly amused by giving the Galactic commanders similar things so Jupiter and Mars troll around with a Mega Purugly and Skuntank, and I imagine them giving the signature legendaries and maybe the Regi dudes something special. Could also see a Mega Carnivine, Luxray, Roserade, Floatzel, Vespiquen, Lumineon...Chimecho? Snorlax? Sudowoodo? Mr. Mime?

Man there's so much stuff in that game that I really have to wonder how they'll rework it

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
A 10% hit to health every turn isn't actually as big as it sounds in the metagame - anything using a Life Orb is something that would get vaporized in one hit anyway.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

HardDiskD posted:

ah the snow capped mountains of northern Brazil

to be fair pretty much every region has some weirdness like that, except the first two

Hoenn has a big desert even though Kyushu isn't even the place where they made an artificial desert. Sinnoh's north half is snow-bound wasteland even though Hokkaido isn't that frosty (not to mention the postgame's supposed to be Sakhalin even though in-game it's a volcanically active rugged tropical area), Unova has a sprawling desert in what's supposed to be central Manhattan, and northeastern Kalos is the same deal as north Sinnoh. I dunno about Alola, haven't played it or anything but surely it's not all tropical paradise like actual Hawaii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

The Golux posted:

I'd seen theories that the desert in Unova was supposed to be Ground Zero.

but it has ancient egyptian ruins

also why would game freak make an elaborate 9/11 joke

• Locked thread