Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I survived watching all of tie's playthrough, and can confirm that this game is absolute trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

AriadneThread posted:

this seems good but let me counter that having a physically painful info graph seems in spirit with this game

The one thing this game actually does really well is menu design, though it would only work on a pc, so nah

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

So what you're saying is adopt Uranium's brooding dark colors and garishly bright greens?

How does this work so well?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Pokemon should not be dark and edgy, full stop.

Also this game is real bad but maybe we can stop with the "oh my god you guys it's really bad"

Let OFS take us on his journey to (ant)hell

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Holy poo poo, that sounds even worse than Uranium

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

OFS, please update before this thread finishes its dread metamorphosis into an offshoot of the actual thread in games, like every other pokemon lp

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I'm pretty sure Tonemy is a digimon

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

SirSamVimes posted:

Actually Birbie is one of the only genuinely good designs in the game.

It's one of few good ideas, rather

The execution is bad

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Crosspeice posted:

Let's Redesign Pokemon Uranium Because It's Trash

:yeah:

I remember Quovak did a whole thing in his golden sun LP about fixing the problems with it. It would be pretty cool to collectively do the same to uranium.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Feleng looks like someone mixed kani, an axolotl, and a kitten

its evolution adds a lion instead of a kitten, but keeps the other two

Oh, and OFS, good choice for the gym leader music

Jen X fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 21, 2017

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

The cat and its evolution are slightly overdesigned but would probably fit in 4th gen, on the lower end.

Barewl, meanwhile, might well be worse than every (non- conkeldurr) pokemon that actually exists, it's a bronze ball wearing half a nut with a pubic hair poking out of the top

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

homeless hungry plz help posted:

Conkeldurr actually has a design philosophy behind it that makes its evolutionary line cohesive and actually good. Barewl is indecipherable and only later down the line does it look even have a discernible form, though even that's debatable.

I think Conkeldurr is actually pretty good, btw. Just because something's ugly doesn't mean it's stupid or badly designed.

Conkeldurr is a scourge on this planet and its designer should be euthanized, but I will agree that it has a cohesive design, unlike our friend barewl

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

It's entirely because of the whole carp->dragon myth thing, I think.

I imagine there wasn't quite as intentional or interesting an origin for most of uranium's brood

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

none of the translators are nba fans i guess, or just as likely, are okay with it sharing the name cause eventually kevin durant will die, while pokemon is eternal

he's dead to everyone outside of a specific section of california anyway

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

You'd figure that an actual scientific database of pokemon would have info on a lot more stuff, plus there's the issue of the ever-present legendary pokemon, but it really just comes down to liking the idea that little kids are writing the descriptions.

It's a cute idea and therefore very good in pokemon, a series all about making cute things bludgeon each other to unconsciousness

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

The pokemon speech translator is stupid as gently caress

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I feel like britain+ireland is inevitable, but since it almost certainly means a corgi pokemon, it's a fine choice

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

do you think the mc of pokemon says good game after every battle, even if it wasn't

bringing the worst discussion from the magic thread into this one is a very bold move

the real question is if theo is a sore loser even if he says good game after Dick Solomon, Ace Battler, beats the poo poo out of him, or if the magic words change his status as a whiny little poo poo

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

That backhoe is the key to breaking this game in half

It's so goddamn stupid for so many reasons

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

GeneX posted:

That backhoe is the key to breaking this game in half

It's so goddamn stupid for so many reasons

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

There is one particular really loving good pokemon design

it also won't appear until like the last 3 hours of the game

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

the plot is also a melodramatic mess with incredibly inconsistent theming and laughable attempts at confronting real world issues

there are many more reasons why this game is bad and OFS will have the pleasure of commenting on all of them

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

This game's plot is beyond stupid

Also "Nukie" is actually just birdo slathered in neon green paint

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

We've seen 49 of the 168 new designs for Uranium, by the way.

One of those is Palij which I think I glossed over technically having as part of the photographer's requests.

Middle bird. Meh.

Could be much worse.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Tomb of Horrors is actually fun though

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

LupusAter posted:

And again, when talking about fanmade games, Pokemon Sage takes the concept (pokeball mimic) and executes it a lot better.

I love this fish

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

oh my god the one with the mushtache is amazing

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

turn off the TV posted:

This is really good.

Now do the evolution. :v:

How about we wait for OFS to get there first

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

EclecticTastes posted:

Scarie Curie.

Scurie.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Alacron posted:

So, is there a villain team in this game? I feel like we should have at least heard of them by now.

Well, you'll see: I have no doubt that OFS has some very particular things to say about the topic when it comes up.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I like that smug arcanine

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Bianca and Cheren were very good

Tierno and his crew of dipshits were awful

they are all better than theo

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

God drat

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Regalingualius posted:

Saying that makes me think that we're going to deal with a really bad knockoff of the Tunnel Snakes.

It's far stupider

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Daikatuna is good

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

:911:

It's Spanish and/or meme for "why not both?"

I'm 99% sure she knows that, like all good americans

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Actress solves sexism in pokemon game is somehow not the most utterly ridiculous thing in this game

It's maybe the single best example thus far of "we literally just threw in whatever" regarding how this game was designed. Why is poke-sexism a one-off gym leader subplot expressed almost entirely through one monologue? Who thought this was a good choice?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Onmi posted:

I actually think it's the other side of the horse shoe. They think they're being super progressive and open. It's the same as Pokemon Reborn. Don't play Pokemon Reborn.

There's no "they", unless you mean the gender neutral singular pronoun; it's completely disconnected from anything else either thematically or narratively.

That leads me to believe one person just sort of came up with the gym and everything involved, everyone else gave it a cursory glance and were happy it looked relatively balanced, and it was implemented as-is.

It's just utterly jarring.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

the gently caress does any of this have to do with uranium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

krisslanza posted:

So, wait, a huge massive plot dump - of some actual significance - is entirely optional, and as a result, has no actual impact on the rest of the game?
Why.

yes

this is what passes for the "evil team" in this game. This one sidequest.

well, mostly

• Locked thread