Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Tyty posted:

If I remember, the creator didn't but a ton of people did after the DMCA. I saw a lot of people complaining Sun/Moon were too easy and that nintendo has no idea how to make games and it should be more like uranium

The game with a scarfed contrary overheat special sweeper in the main game.

For me it's that 5 years of effort went into it with nearly 0 of that being playtesting for balance apparently. I didn't play very far into Uranium but I have a lot I could say about the early game, especially since it's such an important part of any pokemon. It's the time before party balance can be blown wide open and you need to be careful with the wild encounters and enemy parties.

SuMo being easy is a weird complaint to me because even with EXP Share on and me being a Pokemon veteran, I still wiped (several times even!) to a few of the bosses, which normally never happens to me.

But maybe I'm just bad at video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

This is why OFS threads are sooooo good.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

However I hit Save instead of Save As so that's now Birbie's front sprite.

hopeandjoy posted:

This is why OFS threads are sooooo good.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Regalingualius posted:

Just reread the first update and saw the built-in "Nuzlocke" mode. I know this is going to sound really, really crazy, but it just stirred this memory I had of some webcomic I saw posted over in the thread in BYOB that chronicled some guy going through each generation...

And it was drawn like rear end. I mean, only slightly better than rageface. And I think I'm also remembering something about the author having to cut it off because he was convicted of drug offenses or something like that. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I think that's the original Nuzlocke comic that spawned the challenge.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

So why wasn't Uranium given a C&D order? Seems like Nintendo would have been doing the world a favor.

I think it was. I remember there being talk of evil Nintendo taking down Uranium before SuMo came out anyway. It's just that SuMo came out, like, two weeks later so the Pokemon fandom had bigger and better things to care about.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Why do hack writers think it's automatically funny to just say: here's an aspect of the games that wouldn't work in real life.

Isn't that funny?

Come on, at least structure a joke if your going to do that.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Herr Tog posted:

Child memory fails again. did it's evo have two legs as well?

#playtesting

Yes. It's evo is basically just an owl.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

turn off the TV posted:

Same, but Espeon. That little fucker carried me through the Red battle.

:same:

Psychic is the best type and Espeon is real, strong, and my friend. :colbert:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Haifisch posted:

The real games only show ambiguous power plants or solar/wind afaik, but these are the same games that barely put thought into how non-trainers get from point A to point B without fighting off hordes of Pokemon. Realistically you would need more than geothermal/hydro/wind unless the Pokeworld uses a lot less electricity than we do(doubtful, since everything is so high-tech) or its technology makes those plants output a lot more electricity than real world ones(more plausible).

And the only time Pokemon have been used for energy is by the bad guys, like Johto Team Rocket using a bunch of Electrode for power.

Considering Matsuda has said before that he likes to make the Pokemon world an idealized version of the near future to try and inspire kids, I'm pretty sure the Pokemon universe is all clean energy and this works because idealism.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 28, 2017

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

KataraniSword posted:

Even then you get things like Ruby/Brendan's dad (Norman) being openly abusive and the entire clusterfuck that was the FR/LG/Emerald arcs.

Basically, any time they deviate from the games at all, it takes a sharp left into :magical:, for better or worse.

It's ok. Ruby had a Celebi the whole time! (And every other arc has bullshit ways to bring characters back to life.)

Fun fact, because of Hunter J, the anime has a higher permanent kill count that Pokemon Special, even not counting the movies.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I'd say better than Uranium.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Geemer posted:

If anything, storage space has become ludicrously cheap since the GameBoy days. Storage space is absolutely not the problem, they just want every kid to have their own copy instead of sharing. See: The previous discussion on trade evolutions.

Yeah that's absolutely not the problem now. If Game Freak needed a bigger cart, Nintendo would pony one up. They know what sells their handhelds.

But it probably was the issue for the first three gens.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Now that the Persona 3 LP has started, I keep of thinking of that Theo when people are mentioning this Theo.

This would be a much better game if the rival was P3P!Theo.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

rannum posted:

I am so irrationally mad at whimsicott the cotton pokemon turning into a blooming cherry blossom tree

Just use Cherrim! god

:same:

Come on, there's already a perfectly good Pokemon based off of sakura flowers.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Robindaybird posted:

I definitely 3rd the 7th Stand User as being a really fantastic RPG, and there's suppose to be another one based on Part 4 in the works.

I heard it's going to be called Persona 4?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Well that was a wet fart of an ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Like the actual games (except B/W) we have to go become the Champion before the game actually spits an ending at us.

I meant more that it's a wet fart of a... villain ending? As much as this game has a villain anyway. Normally, when you go and fight the big bad of a Pokemon game the last time, for better or worse, they like to plotdump their philosophy at you so you know what their deal is. CURIE kind of did that, but they did that while remaining really ambiguous unlike Archie/Maxie's "yes this totally will save the Wailords/Camerupt", Cyrus' "a world without emotion will be a+", Ghetsis' "I was using this person who I don't consider human to become the king of everything", or Lysandre's "solution to overpopulation=kill everyone except me and the rich".

Like, those are all supervillain plans, but they are explained plans and motivations nevertheless. CURIE just comes in and is like "I'll hurt you all like you hurt me" but offers no explanation about what that means or where they got their power or if they had a plan other than "step 1 blow up every nuclear reactor ever step 2 ??? step 3 profit". Even with Neo Team Rocket's half baked plan, you at least understand the how and why at the end of it.

• Locked thread