Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StupendousMan
Feb 28, 2016
I... didn't totally loathe this game? It was the first Pokemon game I've played since GBA Sapphire, so some of its design sins missed me completely. (Not all of them, though - the Anthell is one of a few truly egregious failures.) But I did use the Wiki while I played, and was consciously aware that the game wanted to be played with a competitive-Mon setup, rather than a casual style. I would have really resented that without having the Wiki to work with.

The plot sure is a plot in a Pokemon game.

TieTuesday, who started playing only a few days after the first unpatched release, went in blind to the game's nasty difficulty and unknowingly dealt with a near-gamebreaking bug for the entire game. Thankfully, his loss of sanity is our comedic gain! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupendousMan
Feb 28, 2016
Ethereal Gates does look good from the demo, but on my computer at least, it suffers from the same laggy, stuttering issues that Uranium did. Is this just an issue with the toolkit/RPGMaker?

StupendousMan
Feb 28, 2016
no one can stop mr domino backhoe dragon

StupendousMan
Feb 28, 2016

mandatory lesbian posted:

also why exactly are we treating this game like it has a competitive scene

This game is its own competitive scene. There are a ton of Pokemon you have to plan for (and you'd better have at least 5 of them on your own team by the end of the game.)

StupendousMan
Feb 28, 2016

Robindaybird posted:

So apparently the guy behind this had announced he just sent a job application to Game Freak after spending weeks trashing Nintendo for the C&D and SuMo for not being like his perfect uber game.

Link? I need to see this for myself.

StupendousMan
Feb 28, 2016
it is with a heavy heart that i must announce that this game's devs are at it again

StupendousMan
Feb 28, 2016
I had the misfortune of drawing Tiko in my Elite 4 when I played Uranium. Although by that point, I was pretty used to the game's brutality. I think I snuck past him mostly with a scarfed Nucleon, a Blubelrog (Surf/Ice Beam/Sludge Wave/Toxic is a solid moveset), and a Yatagaryu as backup. No one else on my team really could put up a fight against Tiko.

ALSO: Uranium has been updated very recently! Let's look at some of the changes:

Patch Version 1.2.1 posted:

New Randomizer Mode: In it, your starter and all wild and trainer encounters will be replaced by completely random Pokémon, for a wacky and challenging game-changing experience. Unlocked after completing the game at least once. (Load a completed save once to register this achievement)

Nuzlocke Mode has been replaced by Custom Mode, where you can select the exact settings you want for a harder/different Pokémon Uranium experience including the new Randomizer Mode.

Added "Old School Poison" option to custom games, that will allow poison to faint a Pokémon outside of battle like in older-gen games.

Poison is now super-effective against Nuclear.

Orchynx now starts the game with Leech Seed instead of learning it at level 7.

Fixed Conversion 2 not working at all. (We fear this will raise Nucleon's power level even further over 9000 resulting in the destruction of this plane of existence.)

Removed a few thousand lines of unused code.

:confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupendousMan
Feb 28, 2016

XavierGenisi posted:

Yeah, that's my favorite bit of design in this shitheap. You're given a final climactic showdown, and you get a Steel legendary to make sure that you have at least one type advantage pokemon. You know, something that a game with actual thought put in it's design would do for a game for children!

And the final boss has Overheat. It's got five more levels compared to the legendary you got, has stupid stats, and has Overheat. The free pokemon that the game gives you to make sure that you aren't screwed out by not having a steel type to fight against the nuclear boy is a complete liability and dead weight that can get OHKO on the first turn, leaving you with five pokemon left to fight with.

Incredible.

Onmi posted:

Oh then yeah, if you lose here, it's a Game Over. You're forever locked in here unable to get out. So if you saved before fighting Gamma Urayne, and were completely unprepared The game is now locked and you can never win because losing results in a game over and you cannot leave to grind or change your team.

Yep. For my money, this is the single biggest design dickpunch in the entire game, far worse than Mega Inflagetah. There's no avoiding the miserable clusterfuck that is Gamma Urayne. And if you saved before your fight with him, like a normal person would...

One last story from my playthrough. I knew Gamma Urayne was horrible, so I planned the best I could for him: switching my least powerful Mon in front to get replaced by Actan, relying on Actan taking an Overheat to cut Urayne's Spec Attack, Mega Evolving Orchynx (its ability cuts its 4x Fire weakness to 2x). I was as ready as I could be. And when I finally got to the battle...

Urayne's Overheat missed. Actan used Crunch. Urayne's Overheat missed again. Actan used Crunch.

Urayne fainted!

:smithicide:

• Locked thread