Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
I always laugh when I see fan designs for Pokemon, they are almost always awful. They have the special ability to be both blatant ripoffs and completely different than what you'd expect to see in a Pokemon game at the same time. So far, these have not disappointed.

I'm curious to see which of the real Pokemon made it into the game. I'm guessing it will be the "cool" ones like Mewtwo, Garchomp, and Tyranitar, but maybe I'll be surprised. It's so strange to have a romhack so based on an existing franchise, but then change so many of the things fundamental to said series. Like, just take the extra step and make it an RPG Maker game inspired by Pokemon. I guess it would be a lot of work to change the moves, but does anyone really want to play a Pokemon game where most of the Pokemon were replaced by other ones that will never appear outside of said game? Even when a new generation rolls around in actual Pokemon, you theoretically will have access to all the older Pokemon eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

Kurui Reiten posted:

That's... literally what this is?

No, this is still attempting to be a Pokemon game. I mean stripping anything Pokemon out, but still using Pokemon mechanics. Basically an even more direct ripoff of Pokemon than Digimon, Yokai Watch, or what have you.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
It seems like everyone wants an evolution to Dunsparce, for some reason. Can't wait to see how silly it looks.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

EclecticTastes posted:

And I'm really not surprised that Dunsparce is there, every gen has a handful of Pokemon that just never find their place and end up more or less forgotten, which means there's always gonna be some diehard fans who wish those particular Pokemon got more exposure, not even necessarily due to liking those specific Pokemon, but more because they don't want any of them to fall by the wayside. On top of that, Dunsparce's ability and move pool has earned it some genuine fans in the competitive scene. Those two groups, I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume, make up roughly 100% of the Pokemon Uranium development team, so, now you know why Dunsparce is in the game.

That's true on all counts. I just find it funny that there seems to be a larger group of people who love Dunsparce (this thread has even shown as much). Meanwhile a couple of Pokemon introduced at the same time are largely ignored from everyone, including the diehard fans who want every obscure Pokemon to get a useful evolution (Stantler is always my go-to for Pokemon no one seems to like).

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
I can't believe they don't let you buy Awakenings and make the gym's gimmick be an 100% accurate sleep move, that is so ridiculous.

Also, is it just me, or is Chubbfly using Shelgon's gen 4 sprite for the shell? It looks like Shelgon and Wigglytuff got put into the machine from The Fly.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
I'm not sure what surprised me more, the fact that this thing has Wonder Trading in it, or the fact that you actually found someone to Wonder Trade.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
I'm a fan of Mr. Totally not Roark's terrible mustache.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

mandatory lesbian posted:

i actually like baashun, it's kinda cute...

also

this is literally charizard's head right, like i can't be the only person that sees that

I really am fascinated how some of these designs are Frankenstein'd combinations of older Pokemon parts. Like how Sponee looks like Joltik combined with Igglybuff. I guess it is less literally stitching the sprites together and more a matter of trying to emulate the artstyle as well as the fact that there are only so many ways you can design a Pokemon based on an animal like a spider before you start seeing similarities, but some of these feel particularity blatant in what they are ripping.

And of course, like rannum said, the trainers are less subtle about being rip offs, with Davern's pre battle cut-in being "inspired" by Rorak's as a clear example.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
I don't understand what mammal is influencing the Nimflora line's design. It sure was ugly from beginning to end, though. Linkite looks like it should be an enemy in Binding of Issac.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
Well this was a strange update. Why do the starters evolve at 27? Three stage Pokemon generally evolve too late as it is, but your starter? That's ridiculous. For all the things they include just because "it's always in Pokemon," you'd think they'd keep something so simple.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

PoptartsNinja posted:

OFS talked about that.

It's because the starters are apparently two-stage trash with mega evolutions.

My bad. I still question the decision, with what I already said. It seems strange that they would try to change the balance on something that was already balanced, and has been the same exact way since the beginning, particularly when the game sticks to other conventions, like an early low level evolution bug and bird.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
You'd think when designing a store that uses berries as currency, you'd notice how hard it is to get berries up to that point. Or maybe the berry store is the reason why you don't get the watering can until postgame? That seems like a bad design choice that would fit right in with the rest of them.

Also, does the shiny star always cover Inflagetah's name in battle like that? Is having the star for shiny Pokemon something that comes stock with the RPG Maker kit, or did the creator choose to put it in there, knowing there would be a Pokemon whose name would be too long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
Despite the reference to Naruto, Surf Ninjas is probably the best thing going for Uranium in quite some time.

It's also kind of weird to see a gen 6 Pokemon in sprite form, but I guess they have to do that for Mega Evolutions too. Are those already out there for like Showdown or something, or did the creator have to make them?

• Locked thread