Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Geez, give the poor cat Vine Whip or Absorb or something! I guess Leafage wasn't a thing yet, but that's why it was invented.

Endorph posted:

sadly they're all single-forms, which is a shame because that's also a great name
Little late but this is not ENTIRELY true; some of the CAPs have previous forms (Tomohawk does, for instance). They're all final forms though, and Krillowatt's a standalone.

The Garlikid/Pokémon Translator thing could be neat in a good game but I will be shocked if this game pulls it off well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

EclecticTastes posted:

I get the impression that Steel's resistance to Ghost and Dark were removed specifically so the Honedge line wouldn't be completely overpowered. If its only weaknesses were Fire and Ground, Aegislash would be pretty devastating, I'd think.

I think the actual reason is because Fairy existing gave Steel an offensive buff that they neutralized with a defensive nerf. (Poison didn't need any kind of nerf to counter its buff).

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Added Space posted:

Hafli berries are a pun on halflife, I guess?

Cocancer is a decent pun but its 'face' looks very weird.

I assume so but all the other berries are references to actual kinds of fruit, even the weird ones.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

SilverGryphon posted:

Because you use metal (steel and lead) shielding to contain radiation and, uh, radiation already makes you sick so poison isn't going to change much of anything?

Okay the poison thing is probably a stretch but Steel does make sense...

yeah my main complaint is less that Steel does resist it and more that ground, rock, and possibly water don't, since all of those are just as good for containment.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Guys, Nuclear Gyarados isn't Nuclear/Nuclear, it's Water/Nuclear. It's only 4x weak to things water was already weak to, and it's neutral to things that water resists.

Still worse than Water/Flying and no great gains on the moves front, though.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Tired Moritz posted:

Only 2 legendaries. That's surprising.

Oh there were plans. But they got C&D'd before they put them in.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Her japanese name is Tekkaguya, even. Which, I believe, also references that one of Japan's space rockets or satellites was named Kaguya.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Huh, I wouldn't have been surprised if they amped the shiny rate on hatched pokemon, but if they didn't that's OK.

Is it just me or are most of the designs for the newer mons in this update a little better/more on-style than most of the ones we've seen before in this game?

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Ronch doesn't need any of your fancy abilities, Ronch remembers back in Gen 2 where they didn't have abilities, or more than four colors per sprite, or rotating and scaling animations. Ronch had to save every time its box was changed, and liked it.

EclecticTastes posted:

Huh, yeah, it kinda does, now that you mention it. Or any kid-centric anime or game based on it, really. Yu-Gi-Oh, Medabots, etc., all the friends are just orbiting the protagonist like a fan club. Maybe that's just how the protagonists see them due to rampant narcissism, and in reality they actually have other stuff going on.

I'd disagree with it on the Medabots front. Koji is a real rival and isn't even there that often, the Screws are bullies that pick on Ikki and then get caught up in a lot of the same situations because of it, Arika is a childhood friend and a photojournalist who, once Ikki starts doing cool things, wants to document it, Karin is a literal saint that Ikki has a huge crush on but still isn't there all the time.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

My theorycrafted sound typing was strong against rock because of shattering glass/crystals but not effective against ground or ice (snow tends to absorb noise weirdly, though solid ice not necessarily so). I don't remember all of the things I had in it off the top of my head but SE against water and steel too. I mostly gave up on it when I realized there were too many dual-type pokemon who would make sense as sound, but I didn't want to change either of their types. I think dealing with it with ability variants is probably best.

That said, it's probably STILL the best of the types that Azurite is adding. Cosmic, Light, and Mystic are all things that basically could be done by some combination of fairy, psychic, dark, and ghost, and almost all of the pokemon they've retyped to those (as well as the regional variants who are mostly the new types) are kind of awkward changes. And Crystal is just a super mode thing basically.

The Golux fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 3, 2017

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Dabir posted:

See I kind of have sympathy for Energizate cause it's obvious that what happened is someone came up with "Energize" as the perfect name then was wracked with guilt over it not ending in -ate.

There's no goddamn excuse for Atomizate when Radiate would have worked fine.

Or Irradiate, they're even real words that kind of describe what the ability does.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Asehujiko posted:

Precipitate for water moves. Let's make it rain!

I was thinking Liquidate but that works too!

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

We got Hidden Power 13 updates ago. And just now we find the NPC who tells us the type. To contrast, in OR/AS and S&M, they're in the same building.

More than that - The Hidden Power checker is the person who gives you the TM in at least Kalos and Alola.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I mean, I guess technically the hidden power checker is mostly superfluous in Uranium, because it's based on IVs and you can see those, but having one anyway and introducing it so late is just backwards.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Onmi posted:

The JRPG game is the main series, the picture I posted is from MR 9. I think the last game was Medarot Girls and then the studio making them closed down.

Girls' Mission is a 3D fighting style game, as was Dual, out of the 3DS games. The JRPG series is currently ended at 9 and yeah, Rocket Company was reabsorbed by Imagineer apparently, so if there are more games it'll probably be a different studio.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

It looks like the fire line doesn't give much to Seikamater, while the other lines give bug buzz and tail glow, respectively.

Not that it NEEDS its Bug STAB much with Tri Attack and all those TMs.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Oh, and add me to the camp that is entirely in favor of a greater number of thematically-specific move tutors in place of the big genericized ones that do the same old-gen TMs and elemental punches and stuff all lumped together.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

So I guess Delta Stream isn't coded the same as in the real games? Or else it has a flag that it only works on Mega Rayquaza or something?

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Dinictus posted:

I kinda like Mega Metalynx (even if I can't see the animation, or it's that subtle).

The Mega doesn't animate.

The Golux fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 21, 2017

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

At least Sun and Moon have Hyper Training, so that you don't need to worry about IVs (outside of for hidden power) for mons you want to use competitively - you can just raise them to 100 normally and then raise all of their effective IVs to maximum with bottlecaps.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Antivehicular posted:

I honestly kind of approve of Uranium going whole hog on eels and eel-oids. I have no idea why, but it's at least slightly interesting, unlike "black and green Nuclear types" or "shrimp with a gun." (The first evo of gumshrimp having a deputy pun and the second one not having a sheriff pun sort of bugs me, although it's not nearly as bad as the general design decisions behind gunshrimp.)

"Sherimpf"

Also, the fire typing kind of makes sense because pistol shrimps superheat water when they attack.

McDragon posted:

Also every time I see "My Fursona" I read it to the tune of My Sharona and now you all can too
Oh good it's not just me.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I identify with Psyduck's awkwardness and crippling headaches.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I'd seen theories that the desert in Unova was supposed to be Ground Zero.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I imagine the money for majungold comes from parts of its own arms breaking off, which then regrows.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Glazius posted:

So I guess Hazma's got a fixed ability or something that makes it resist Nuclear?

Flat immunity to it.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Only problem with that is a lot of pokemon are disappointingly small compared to an adult.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I figured Ash was more like 3'10" than 4'10."

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Oh hey they made the grass starter suck SLIGHTLY Less.

(Still doesn't have an actual STAB attack until later though)

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

It's not over yet.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Actan is the Actinide series, Lanthan is the Lanthanide series, and Heatran is the Heatrinide series (Atomic Numbers 121-135, no really, I swear).

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

HGSS actually edited the Johto regional pokedex to include the new evolved forms of pokemon that appeared in the games (Togekiss, Ambipom, Honchkrow, Weavile...). That is a significant improvement over FRLG.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

senrath posted:

Given that there are literally zero google hits for "Heatrinide" and the fact that 121-157 are actually called the superactinides, I'm pretty sure whoever told you that was having a laugh.

I apologize for my sarcasm being too deadpan, but I just made that up since the joke is that they made Lanthan and Actan as part of a trio with the existing Heatran, with a seeming theme to the name endings, and named their two new ones after two actual things with no significant third counterpart.

Commander Keene posted:

Is Cameron Theo's dad, or is (s)he a gym leader? I have so much trouble keeping track of the characters in this game...

Cameron's the other character from the Ranger games, who was there a fat friendly ranger base leader and here is an interpol agent named Stormbringer.

The Golux fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 1, 2017

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Podima posted:

This deserves appreciation.

I appreciate it, it is a finely crafted pun.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also,

Guardians of the Watering Can is a really funny phrase. Do they really not just give it to you?

They really do not just give it to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Ariong posted:

Man, Plusle and Minun have awful shiny versions. Shiny Plusle is almost indisingushable from regular Plusle. I was thinking maybe they would swap colors or something, but no. Instead of being blue and red, they are slightly different blue and also red.

Shiny Minun is Green, I thought Shiny Plusle was pink or orange but no it's just darker red.

• Locked thread