Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

redneck nazgul posted:

man, it's funny watching everybody think the deeeep staaaaate is some nebulous evil arm of capitalism.

if they were in this to make money, they'd be behind donny boy 100%.

they're mostly concerned with their continued existence. bernie, full communism now-bot, even baloogan would be okay with them provided they don't break the deep state ricebowl. trump's selling everything out to russia and trying to marginalize them, of course the knives are coming out.
how are they not an arm of capitalism? I thought the entire reason they developed this mystique was knocking over iranians and south americans and african leaders who had the temerity to try nationalize whatever like single resource made up 70% of their export earnings. that and occasionally wiretapping civil rights leaders and trade unionists or whatever. also they help perpetuate forever wars i think largely to maintain their budgets and relevance but that obviously helps companies like lockheed and raytheon and general dynamics but also the hundreds if not thousands of companies with like 200 employees or less who individually make pretty good money compared to your average public school teacher. so yeah, capitalism.

but also this at the same time

breaklaw posted:

I guess the Deep State is ultimately another check and balance on power. An undocumented check and balance.

We're in a situation now where our president is making foreign policy decisions based on his own ludicrously delusional belief that Putin's Russia wants to be our friend. The opposition party has no power, and the president's own party is afraid to challenge him.

What do you really expect them to do, just kick back and watch Trump help Russia to weaken our national security and our political stability? They are doing what they feel like they have to do, and I'm glad for it. I'd probably be thinking the along the same lines if I was in their position.

like literally what are they supposed to do in this position. i think deposing mossadegh-type operations are really scummy and counter productive from the blowback they create but I also sincerely believe alphabet soup agency career bureaucrats are genuinely patriotic people especially when contrasted withflynn and trump, who are not only like clownishly incompetent but also seemingly compromised beyond the silliest clancey type stuff. also it seems like in general the media here seems to have come to the same conclusion for the most part independent of said agencies, and i think that in itself is noteworthy

cargo cult has issued a correction as of 12:41 on Feb 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
idk that 20committee guy has a twitter account and he really enjoys larping as a master of the universe. they're about to GO NUCLEAR on traitorous TRUMp

• Locked thread