Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Thanks to recent massive scandals involving Russia, Trump has just stumbled into perhaps a bigger political scandal than Watergate. Two of his cabinet members have already stepped down, and it hasn't even been a month into Trump's presidency. And he continues to alienate himself from not only Democrats but Republicans and Independents as well. So I have a question to make:

If Trump were to be impeached within a year or two, would Mike Pence make a better or worse president than Trump? In what ways, in your opinion, would he be better? In what ways would he be worse? What would his domestic and foreign policies look like?

In addition, would Democrats fare better in 2018 against Trump or against Pence? In 2020?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Dem's wanting to win the presidency in 2020 are way better off with Trump. Pence is scary because he will actually be able to compose himself and function as a president. He'll be able to make deals and pass laws very similar to Trump, but do so in ways that aren't as insane. All the poo poo that people aren't really out in the streets over, dismantling the EPA, de-regulating everything ever and poo poo like that will go through in ways that will make them even less obvious and people will be paying less attention.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm not sure I agree that Pence would be worse for Dems than Trump. Pence can't rabble rouse the same way that Trump did during the campaign because he doesn't have Trump's magical ability to sell people bullshit.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
If pence really really wanted to do anything right now I can't really imagine that donald trump is stopping him.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Pence will at least bring us back down to a Dubya-era authoritarianism instead of overdoing it

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
The odds of Pence starting an unnecessary war costing the lives of hundreds of thousands if not millions is approximately zero, so that's one point for Pence.
The odds of Pence getting in a pissing contest with a nuclear power and starting a proper world war 3 is also approximately zero, so that's two for Pence.

They'll both make enough inroads in Congress to ruin the Supreme Court for decades and pass insane quantities of backwards moving legisltation, so I guess they're tied on that point.

In all, I'd say Pence would be better than Trump.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Cheekio posted:

The odds of Pence starting an unnecessary war costing the lives of hundreds of thousands if not millions is approximately zero, so that's one point for Pence.
The odds of Pence getting in a pissing contest with a nuclear power and starting a proper world war 3 is also approximately zero, so that's two for Pence.

They'll both make enough inroads in Congress to ruin the Supreme Court for decades and pass insane quantities of backwards moving legisltation, so I guess they're tied on that point.

In all, I'd say Pence would be better than Trump.

Pretty much the point I was going to make. Pence is awful and sucks, but Trump is a literal insane person.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Keep in mind if it's not Trump on the ballot in 2020 there'll be ~40% of the republican voters who will be howling for blood.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
You're asking the wrong question. Pence would be a more competent and generic Republican than Trump, which is bad in some ways and possibly good in others. But the real issue would be to what's left of the American governments perceived legitimacy. The long-term political impact of removing Trump through impeachment is impossible to anticipate but it would probably make the political atmosphere of the last decade look like a hippy drum circle by comparison. And it would really emphasize who is the servant and who the master in the relationship between the President and the unelected Washington security bureaucracy.

No decent person would mourn the end of the Trump presidency but removing him creates a new set of challenges that the American government and political class is in a terrible position to address. Don't be surprised if people start dying at protests and some of those twitter doxxings start turning into targeted killings if the political temperatures rises past where it already is.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Trump has yet to show that he's anything more than a Republican rubber-stamp. Aside from the twitter game and social gaffes, I don't see a difference between the two right now.

twitter and bisted
Aug 26, 2012

I'm a crow and nothing human is avian to me

Bip Roberts posted:

Keep in mind if it's not Trump on the ballot in 2020 there'll be ~40% of the republican voters who will be howling for blood.

If Trump goes down prepare yourself for 2020 Republican nominee Alex Jones.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Trump is blatantly horrible. Pence is polished evil, his awfulness is hidden by a thin veneer of traditional political responsibility. He'd be as awful as Trump, but in a different way, a way that might not create as much popular opposition, and therefore that might end up being worse.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Helsing posted:

You're asking the wrong question. Pence would be a more competent and generic Republican than Trump, which is bad in some ways and possibly good in others. But the real issue would be to what's left of the American governments perceived legitimacy.

This is a pretty scary question. There are so many big huge unanswered questions with this Russia thing that, if it does turn out it goes all the way to Trump there is going to need to be some serious investigations not just into Trump and his cabinet, but the actual general election vote and why none of this information was made public before Trump was elected.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
There's a good chance that whatever would send Trump down had touched Pence too. Probably not active involvement, but knowing about it and not saying anything.

Enter Paul Ryan.

Ryan would be the pneumonia to the bowel cancer that is Pence, and the Ebola that is Trump.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
The only way to get Trump out and Pence in is with Republican support. If Republicans betray the Trumpenproles, they're hosed in the long term because they need them to win elections. So Pence would be better than trump because that implies a GOP civil war.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

That being said what are the chances currently that Trump will get impeached this year?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Grouchio posted:

That being said what are the chances currently that Trump will get impeached this year?

Definitely a no one knows situation.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
I'm not convinced this scandal will stick. If there isn't more fire in the next few days to go along with all this smoke, it'll blow over, and the media will move on.

I would take Pence over Trump. I can live with Pence, I can disagree with Pence and fight him politically, and I can presume Pence doesn't have ill intent toward the republic. Trump is a danger to our democracy and to the world.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Depends on what more comes to light in the next few days and weeks. Currently, there's not enough. Impeachment requires the votes of 67 senators, and that's not happening unless Trumplethinskin becomes such a political liability that Republican senators are worries about their own skins.

If proof emerges that Trump is in Putin's pocket, all bets are off. True believers will believe in ternative facts, naturally, but there's a line somewhere.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
The only thing that will get Trump impeached is if he's personally implicated in something that's blatantly illegal and a serious crime like direct evidence that he was somehow involved in the DNC hacks. He will never get impeached for self-enrichment, and it doesn't matter if his entire cabinet is embroiled in scandal if there isn't something that can be directly pinned on Trump.

The catch is that there's still a very good possibility that he'll do something like that.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Cat Mattress posted:

Trump is blatantly horrible. Pence is polished evil, his awfulness is hidden by a thin veneer of traditional political responsibility. He'd be as awful as Trump, but in a different way, a way that might not create as much popular opposition, and therefore that might end up being worse.

This. Trump being such a chaotic mess means people notice the rot.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

OneEightHundred posted:

The only thing that will get Trump impeached is if he's personally implicated in something that's blatantly illegal and a serious crime like direct evidence that he was somehow involved in the DNC hacks. He will never get impeached for self-enrichment, and it doesn't matter if his entire cabinet is embroiled in scandal if there isn't something that can be directly pinned on Trump.

The catch is that there's still a very good possibility that he'll do something like that.
So impeachment, whilst very unlikely right now, is still much more likely than nuclear war?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Pence would actively persecute anyone who isn't straight or cis, unlike Trump. Of course he's worse.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
If Pence is also caught up in scandal and forced to resign, who will be president?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Errm, is this a trick question? It goes to Paul Ryan.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
We should be so lucky.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

twoday posted:

If Pence is also caught up in scandal and forced to resign, who will be president?
If Pence is president, it would go to whomever he picked as vp.
If Pence is VP, Trump will find a different one.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

twoday posted:

If Trump and Pence are both out simultaneously, then it goes to the Speaker of the House of Representative, Paul Ryan. If the top three are out together, then it's the President pro tempore of the Senate, currently Orrin Hatch. These four are all taken out for some reason? Then you go to the Secretary of State, who is now Rexxon Tillerson. If the top five men were to all be indisposed, it'd be the Secretary of the Treasury. And so on.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 16, 2017

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Dem's wanting to win the presidency in 2020 are way better off with Trump.
This sounds familiar... like something I've heard before... perhaps in a dream...

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
It's basically choosing between an unpleasant ordinary disease that has a high survival rate (Pence), and some exotic strain of cancer that has a low survival rate (Trump). Like, Pence is Real Bad, but it's a form of real bad that America has survived basically since its inception. Trump really is sui generis in modern American political history.

I don't see the hypothetical ousting of Trump as a big win for Republicans though. Pence is "clean" and "normal" only in contrast with Trump, while also having the charisma of a wheel of cheese gone slightly green. And of course all the alt-right vermin will be apoplectic about the GOP stabbing them in the back. It's not like Gerald Ford being an affable generic Republican saved the GOP from the fallout of Watergate or something. Jimmy Carter had the political acumen of kelp and beat him.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
depends, pence is more likely to kill social security and medicare (how much more though is a good question cuz trump seems to be signing onto every other one of paul ryan's shock therapy plan) but in every other respect economically he's indistinguishable from Trump (tax cuts/deregulation/Obamacare repeal) cuz Trump can't get his infrastructure project through congress anyway.

on foreign policy he's better cuz he isn't a Russian Manchurian candidate and is less stupid and might turn out to be less hawkish than trump

Typo fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 16, 2017

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Grouchio posted:

betting markets are like 80/20 on him staying in office for the year

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'd rather not think in terms of "what's good for winning elections" but "what's good for society and the world" and I think Pence is better for that. While Pence would absolutely want to roll back protections for LGBTQ+ citizens, possibly kill of medicare, I don't think he would ever consider using our nukes for the fun of it like Trump would.

I also don't think the MAGA Republicans would fall apart if Trump was impeached and refuse to vote next election (cause yeah, they're not going to vote Democratic, no matter what). They would still vote Pence in 2020 if they had to.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

sean10mm posted:

It's basically choosing between an unpleasant ordinary disease that has a high survival rate (Pence), and some exotic strain of cancer that has a low survival rate (Trump). Like, Pence is Real Bad, but it's a form of real bad that America has survived basically since its inception. Trump really is sui generis in modern American political history.

I don't see the hypothetical ousting of Trump as a big win for Republicans though. Pence is "clean" and "normal" only in contrast with Trump, while also having the charisma of a wheel of cheese gone slightly green. And of course all the alt-right vermin will be apoplectic about the GOP stabbing them in the back. It's not like Gerald Ford being an affable generic Republican saved the GOP from the fallout of Watergate or something. Jimmy Carter had the political acumen of kelp and beat him.
Remind me to look into why Jimmy had the political acumen of kelp, and how he hosed up so much.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Inferior Third Season posted:

This sounds familiar... like something I've heard before... perhaps in a dream...

And if we shadows have offended
Then think but this, and all is mended
That you have but slumbered here
While these visions did appear

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
If Trump is impeached the Republicans blow their electoral chances for the next few cycles because the Trump base will be royally pissed at the regular Republicans in Congress. As such, they aren't going to impeach Trump without indisputable, hard proof of bribery or blackmail from Russian intelligence, which almost certainly isn't going to happen.

That said, President Pence is probably on balance worse than Trump, because President Pence would be more competent at coordinated Republican attacks on basic government functions and minorities. Whether or not Pence would have the public support after an impeachment hearing to do anything like that is up in the air, but that aside, President Pence is, however, better than President Bannon. Take that for what you will.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Holy poo poo you idiots of course Pence would be better than Trump. Even on a basic level, we wouldn't be paying to jet Trump and his idiot adult children around the world or 150k per day to secure Trump tower in NYC.

Wang_Tang
Jan 11, 2004

Cryptologic

twitter and bisted posted:

If Trump goes down prepare yourself for 2020 Republican nominee Alex Jones.

Based on how 'extreme' Trump's views were compared to other candidates and how they apparently resonated with the greater public, I feel like that's actually going to happen.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

seiferguy posted:

I'd rather not think in terms of "what's good for winning elections" but "what's good for society and the world" and I think Pence is better for that. While Pence would absolutely want to roll back protections for LGBTQ+ citizens, possibly kill of medicare, I don't think he would ever consider using our nukes for the fun of it like Trump would.

I don't know about that. He's almost certainly a Dominionist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lightning Knight posted:

If Trump is impeached the Republicans blow their electoral chances for the next few cycles because the Trump base will be royally pissed at the regular Republicans in Congress. As such, they aren't going to impeach Trump without indisputable, hard proof of bribery or blackmail from Russian intelligence, which almost certainly isn't going to happen.

If trump's base is so strong they will replace all those regular republicans anyway so what would they care?

• Locked thread