Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I think this is a great movie that doesn't hold up to examination afterwards but is so much fun and involving to see it unfold along the way. Beautiful and disturbing and takes a variety of steps to escalate things as time goes on. If you remember that feeling you had watching Seven for the first time and they're driving out in the desert and you're just holding your breath wondering what could be next and if it could at all match the level of intensity you've already seen, this is the alternate outcome where it doesn't all tie together satisfactorily. But you get that whole great buildup along the way.

Well worth seeing even if you know it's not going to get past the finish line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Arkanomen posted:

Just saw the movie tonight. It does lovecraftian/ creeping horror to a T and is masterfully constructed and presented beautifully. It has some really stunning shots as well.

Did anyone else get a sort-of Jacobs Ladder vibe. I have a sneaking suspicion that everything after the car accident is a death/coma vision. He wasn't buckled in when the deer hit and all he gets is a broken leg? No scratches or cuts?

There's several scene changes and jump cuts that beg the question of if this eel adventure is real or not. Several points make it strange, such as how did he escape the dentist's chair or for that matter regrow is teeth after? How did the CEO guy reappear alive after floating in the drowning tank, or how did our hero resurrect after drowning himself.

A lot of the story comes back to the father's suicide, which is mirrored by the Baron selfishly 'damaging' his child.

We are treated to the stag, post crash stumbling, thrashing, collapsing and then dying, then shortly after we see the stag appear again. Hell, it might all be the death dream of the man in the beginning having a heart attack, I don't know.

I think there are too many jump cuts and break points to not beg the question of what is real in this film. It's made even more suspect in that our protagonist is going mad throughout.

I was feeling kind of primed for that after they introduced the ballet figuring being in a dream and kept an eye open for a consistent push in that direction but I personally came up short. That said, the last shot grinning mad after running into his coworkers on the hill seemed very much like crazy person who is really sitting in a chair in a well manicured garden so it may hold water after all.

I wish it had a more consistent push in that direction.

• Locked thread