Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Saying "probably" as "probaly." I don't find "prob'ly" irritating but when they do three syllables and leave out that second B it just drives me mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Tendai posted:

Saying "probably" as "probaly." I don't find "prob'ly" irritating but when they do three syllables and leave out that second B it just drives me mad.

I say prolly

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
My Latino compas and how they pronounce some English words of French origin, esp:

Buffet - (boo-fet)
Fillet - (fill-et)

Shout-out to the Guatemalans for the comedy option: sheet of paper sounds like "poo poo" of paper

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Ask the Guatemalan maid to change the bed shits but actually put shits in the bed for her to change and also she actually changes them what a twist!

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you
Dear Liverpudlians,

I lived among you for 3 glorious years and anyone who says one bad word about the place should surely be beaten outside a chip shop on Bold Street at 3am, I adored my time there! Took longer than average for me to grasp the parlance.

However, I am goddamn fecking sure that Ibuprofen is not pronounced
EYE-BREW-FEN and yet nurses all over the city said it like that. What gives?

Love and Don't Buy the Sun!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I couldn't watch the Hungary episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern because of the way he pronounced "paprika" throughout the episode.

Myself and everybody I know: PAH-PREE-KAH. Andrew Zimmern: *like fuckin' Thurston Howell III* PAAAAAAAHHH-PRI-KA.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My boss when talking about printer toner will say "Ky-ann" and I'll say "sigh-ann" and everyone I know says it like cy not ky but I hear my boss saying it that way so much I started to doubt my self. Is it a regional thing or is he just wrong?

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Baronjutter posted:

My boss when talking about printer toner will say "Ky-ann" and I'll say "sigh-ann" and everyone I know says it like cy not ky but I hear my boss saying it that way so much I started to doubt my self. Is it a regional thing or is he just wrong?

Yes and no. The word comes from the Greek word kuaneos. So in the Greek region he'd be right.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Hobologist posted:

Yes and no. The word comes from the Greek word kuaneos. So in the Greek region he'd be right.

But there's already a k in cmyk

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

theres a will theres moe posted:

But there's already a k in cmyk

what does the y stand for

phobo
Aug 7, 2008
I don't like the regular pronunciation of superfluous.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

500 bad things posted:

what does the y stand for

Yes.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Posting on the innernet

Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.
My mom talks about sending "texes" and I can't tell if she thinks it's actually "tex" or can't be bothered to pronounce all those consonants at the end of "texts".

Also I talk to Canadians who say ad-ult and it doesn't piss me off so much as make me realize uh-dult sounds goofy.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
My regional accent is pretty mild but we do some really dumb poo poo around here. A lot of words like mountain or curtain get a glottal stop instead of that middle T sound. We care enough to try and pronounce the local native names but not simple nouns? Cmon, fam.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Not a native English speaker.

"Ow switch" for Auschwitz.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
the word "work" really drives me up the wall for some reason

and i'm not trying to be funny by poking at my laziness, I just genuinely dislike the word.

I use words to get around it very often.

unpleasantly turgid fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 21, 2017

BDSM-IV
Sep 22, 2016
Batteries not included.
For some reason it really annoys me when people say "Modge Podge" instead of Mod Podge. I've never heard anyone pronounce it as written, though, so I don't even know what's correct.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Quarksley posted:

For some reason it really annoys me when people say "Modge Podge" instead of Mod Podge. I've never heard anyone pronounce it as written, though, so I don't even know what's correct.

I always do this, sorry. I also say it with a heavy new-england accent because my introduction to the stuff was a youtube tutorial with a guy with an amazing accent going on about his mooydge pooydge

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Not a pronunciation, but wrong synonym. Attending zoophysiology class right now, and some of my classmates use "epinephrine" because it says so in the course literature (American book).
Well, on this side of the Atlantic it's called f-ing ADRENALINE! And we speak Swedish amongst ourselves, where adrenaline is the accepted everyday use of the word and epinephrine is unheard outside of textbook and American medical dramas, so in Swedish it's even more jarring.
Before this class they would all be calling it adrenaline, but as soon as it's called epinephrine by a book, half of the class switch the terms on a dime.

Both words mean the same thing, but epinephrine is Greek and adrenaline is Latin.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Falukorv posted:

Not a pronunciation, but wrong synonym. Attending zoophysiology class right now, and some of my classmates use "epinephrine" because it says so in the course literature (American book).
Well, on this side of the Atlantic it's called f-ing ADRENALINE! And we speak Swedish amongst ourselves, where adrenaline is the accepted everyday use of the word and epinephrine is unheard outside of textbook and American medical dramas, so in Swedish it's even more jarring.
Before this class they would all be calling it adrenaline, but as soon as it's called epinephrine by a book, half of the class switch the terms on a dime.

Both words mean the same thing, but epinephrine is Greek and adrenaline is Latin.

seems like that guy really had the epinephrine running through your veins huh?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
My understanding of common usage is the pharmaceutical is epinephrine, whereas the stuff produced by the body is adrenaline. Not sure about medical fields...

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Corky Romanovsky posted:

My understanding of common usage is the pharmaceutical is epinephrine, whereas the stuff produced by the body is adrenaline. Not sure about medical fields...

In Europe and the UK, adrenaline is the approved name in pharmaceuticals as well.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Language is different thousands of miles away. Who knew. I was meaning in the U.S. common usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Sorry, I misunderstood.
It's kind of weird, even in American English it's adrenorgenic receptors, adrenergic neurons, medical derivates of the substance is called things like adrenalone, anatomical parts are called "adrenal" something, but it's only the substance itself carries the Greek name epinephrine, everything else around it carries the Latin root.

One could easily make the case for adrenaline in American English as well.

• Locked thread