Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Go ahead, let's hear them. I have two that come to mind. Please excuse my attempts to convey pronunciation, I don't fully understand the official way to do it, and you probably don't either, so I basically just sound it out in writing.

HYPERBOLIC
Literally pronounced like hyper-bolic. Why the gently caress doesn't this follow the way "hyperbole" is pronounced? If it was pronounced hy-perb-o-lick it would sound much less clunky, ya know?

HOMOGENEOUS
Same poo poo with this one. Homo-geneous. Why isn't it pronounced similar to homogenized? So ho-mahg-enous. The way it is pronounced is like if a second grader saw it in a textbook and tried to say it.

Please share word pronunciations that you hate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

HYPERBOLIC
Literally pronounced like hyper-bolic. Why the gently caress doesn't this follow the way "hyperbole" is pronounced? If it was pronounced hy-perb-o-lick it would sound much less clunky, ya know?

Something to do with the 'ic' modifying the way the 'o' is pronounced. Like, anabolic.

quote:

HOMOGENEOUS
Same poo poo with this one. Homo-geneous. Why isn't it pronounced similar to homogenized? So ho-mahg-enous. The way it is pronounced is like if a second grader saw it in a textbook and tried to say it.

I agree about this one.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i hate it when people say human being but put emphasis on the "got"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also this one is just people saying the word wrong but if you say "turrent" instead of "turret" get hosed thanks.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Q-pon

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Salsa

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Phone

it should be pronounced Pown

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Gyro is another one that I have a problem with, but it's different from the words I originally posted. The correct pronunciation seems to be something like year-oh, but everyone seems to say it slightly different, with different emphasis and flair.

Then you have the people that have just given up and say gy-ro, like rhymes with pyro. This is pretty accepted, which is kind of annoying because it is just lazy and wrong, but on the other hand, people trying to say it exactly like they would in Greece is also annoying.

Kind of a no win situation with that word.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Gouda. Americans can't say gouda, at all. Brits can't say it either, but they're less wrong.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Maipei

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

HJB posted:

Gouda. Americans can't say gouda, at all. Brits can't say it either, but they're less wrong.

How is it pronounced? I always pronounce it "Goo-Dah"

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Parallax Scroll posted:

i hate it when people say human being but put emphasis on the "got"

some say the t is silent, fah'goh

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Asked vs. axed
Washington vs. Warshington

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

a bone to pick posted:

How is it pronounced? I always pronounce it "Goo-Dah"

Like "how-da", as in "Gouda hell do Americans get it so wrong????"

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

All words that originated from France. How French words are spelled has nothing to do with how they sound. Letters can be added at random and none of them will make a sound. Most of them can't even agree on how to say some of their words.

There's a lot of reasons why nobody likes the French, and their inability to spell is one of those reasons.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

HJB posted:

Like "how-da", as in "Gouda hell do Americans get it so wrong????"

Interesting, unfortunately I will always call it goodah because if I ask the grocery clerk where the howda is they'll just be confused.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
it's pronounced 'gif'

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
no, it's pronounced 'gif'

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I know the creator of the gif says it is pronounced like jif, but does he really get to decide that? I prefer gif, but I think jif is still technically considered correct? I don't know, but it's annoying.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's hard for me to care about such small and petty things like this OP. Perhaps you should get some perspective on life and only worry about important things like loved ones and wealth.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

if you dont say prerogative like its loving spelled take a hike

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
hey, that's your perogi-ative

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

OctoberBlues posted:

HOMOGENEOUS

It IS pronounced like that, you're just an idiot. Everyone says "huhmah-juhnized" except you, moron.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It's pronounced "sword".

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Mozi posted:

hey, that's your perogi-ative
i cant believe my italian savings plan thread got gassed

you could say it pasta way :discourse:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Teikanmi posted:

It IS pronounced like that, you're just an idiot. Everyone says "huhmah-juhnized" except you, moron.

I don't think you read my post very thoroughly, bud. :)

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

OctoberBlues posted:

I know the creator of the gif says it is pronounced like jif, but does he really get to decide that? I prefer gif, but I think jif is still technically considered correct? I don't know, but it's annoying.

I don't think he gets to decide how its pronounced, he made a file format with an acronym using the English language. The 'G' stands for graphical which is a hard 'G' sound, which means 'gif' should be pronounced with a hard 'G', just because he's a douchebag swede doesn't mean everyone needs to pronounce the acronym with a retarded swedish accent.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I have a friend who says Thanks weird, and I hate it.

He says it more like the word "than" but with a ks at the end.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Get me a glass of warder.

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
Pizza!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I want a glass of malk.

Malk? Do you mean melk?

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

OctoberBlues posted:

I don't think you read my post very thoroughly, bud. :)

Huhmah-juhnous
Huhmah-juhnized

You're weird

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
Just gonna rest my head on this here 'pellow'.

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

I work at the libary but today I was outside the Donimo's and saw an ambliance.

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

I dated a girl for a very short time who pronounced the h in hour.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Sepia. I'm glad I don't encounter this horseshit pronunciation often because it's bad

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Teikanmi posted:

Huhmah-juhnous

You're weird

Well I agree that is how that word should be said, but if you are pronouncing it like that you are incorrect. Sorry.

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

food court bailiff posted:

It's pronounced "sword".

Oh. Well I feel foolish.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

numberoneposter posted:

i cant believe my italian savings plan thread got gassed

you could say it pasta way :discourse:

rest in pasta

we had joy, we had fun
we had seasoning in the sun
but the puns that we tried
were just noodles out of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE

OctoberBlues posted:

Well I agree that is how that word should be said, but if you are pronouncing it like that you are incorrect. Sorry.

Man, I always pronounce it like that too. How embarrassing :(

• Locked thread