Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

Q, cue, queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Mugticket posted:

Q, cue, queue.

loving QQ about it

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Homogenous and homogeneous are technically two different words but they have similar meanings and in many places homogenous is taking over both uses and pronunciations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

whinge

like wtf

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Homogenous and homogeneous are two different, but similar meaning words if that is what is causing this little argument.

Oh, beaten

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

OctoberBlues posted:

Gyro is another one that I have a problem with, but it's different from the words I originally posted. The correct pronunciation seems to be something like year-oh, but everyone seems to say it slightly different, with different emphasis and flair.

Then you have the people that have just given up and say gy-ro, like rhymes with pyro. This is pretty accepted, which is kind of annoying because it is just lazy and wrong, but on the other hand, people trying to say it exactly like they would in Greece is also annoying.

Kind of a no win situation with that word.

A Greek in my home town used to tell everyone that came into his restaurant that it was "gee roh" or "yee row" but in NYC you are supposed to say "jhai row" and I therefore consider "jhai row" to be a regionalism. While NYC has the lowest proportion of soft headed hicks of anywhere in the country that doesn't mean they don't have some and are definitely wrong about some language things. Such as gyro. Or standing "on line."

raton fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 16, 2017

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

numberoneposter posted:

whinge

like wtf

I don't like how queue is spelled. It should just be que or better still cue. When see "queue" written out I want to say "quay quay" which is idiotic.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

Homogenous and homogeneous are technically two different words but they have similar meanings and in many places homogenous is taking over both uses and pronunciations.

Well thank god for that, I just remember hearing the homo-geneous pronunciation in science classes and thinking how dumb it sounded.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Sheep-Goats posted:

I don't like how queue is spelled. It should just be que or better still cue. When see "queue" written out I want to say "quay quay" which is idiotic.
it should just be truncated to "q"

imo

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is it "Nuc-u-ler" or "New-clear"??

relax-o-vision
Feb 21, 2007
My stepbrother pronounces "both" as "bolth," and every time I just want to gouge bolth of his eyes out.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Neutrino posted:

Is it "Nuc-u-ler" or "New-clear"??
uranium ISIS islam iran jihadi 9/11 bush wtc new world order rothschild nasa

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:

relax-o-vision posted:

My stepbrother pronounces "both" as "bolth," and every time I just want to gouge bolth of his eyes out.

Bolth of them?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
My dad says "boo fay" instead of "buff ay" it's bad it's real bad

Luckily he usually refers to it as "went to see the China lady" instead

Barry Scott
Jan 2, 2009
"Ex-cape" same with "Ex-presso"

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Barry Scott posted:

"Ex-cape" same with "Ex-presso"

relax-o-vision posted:

I do all of this

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"Genre" as "Gin-ruh"

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

OctoberBlues posted:

Well thank god for that, I just remember hearing the homo-geneous pronunciation in science classes and thinking how dumb it sounded.

Like everything else worth learning in science they picked it up from mathematicians.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is it "Naht-zy" or "Na-see"?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Neutrino posted:

Is it "Naht-zy" or "Na-see"?
because its an acronym

but im going to start pronouncing

NASA

naht-sah!!! :2bong:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Can I axe you a queshion?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I'm legit surprised that Ex-presso isn't a formally accepted pronunciation because it seems like goddamn everyone says it.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
I enunciate with my hands so I'm always correct

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

OctoberBlues posted:

I'm legit surprised that Ex-presso isn't a formally accepted pronunciation because it seems like goddamn everyone says it.

It is :ssh:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Espresso is strong coffee, Expresso is one of the animal pals from Donkey Kong Country.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Any white people that dial the Hispaniola up to 11 only for the words tortilla and cilantro are bad people and you should be able to thrash them without legal repercussions.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Oh, the first online dictionary I pulled up didn't list it and I was too lazy to look up any others. :shrug:

Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009
beeyootifull but also in addition to matture

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice

Sheep-Goats posted:

Any white people that dial the Hispaniola up to 11 only for the words tortilla and cilantro are bad people and you should be able to thrash them without legal repercussions.

I love lording over my wife that I can roll my Rs. I will disown my son of if he can't just to stay consistent

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Can I axe you a queshion?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

OctoberBlues posted:

HOMOGENEOUS
Same poo poo with this one. Homo-geneous. Why isn't it pronounced similar to homogenized? So ho-mahg-enous. The way it is pronounced is like if a second grader saw it in a textbook and tried to say it.

the kids at school used to shout homo-genius at me often and i'd try to correct their pronunciation but they never learned

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a little tip to all the suburbanites out there: The way ethnics say it in Ethnic doesn't correlate 1:1 with how we say it in English. If you go to Mexico you don't find people saying "Picks-ar" or "tel uh vish un" they gently caress it up and say "Peek sar" and "tel ay vees eon" this is the way language works.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

extra stout posted:

the kids at school used to shout homo-genius at me often and i'd try to correct their pronunciation but they never learned

What was the cutest boys name that did this to you and did he do other things to you?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

food court bailiff posted:

Espresso is strong coffee, Expresso is one of the animal pals from Donkey Kong Country.
im going to espress my opinion on this matter

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

People who pronounce 'sherbet' with a superfluous R, making it sound like "sher-burt" deserve to be lined up against the wall.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Infidel Castro posted:

People who pronounce 'sherbet' with a superfluous R, making it sound like "sher-burt" deserve to be lined up against the wall.
stachio ice creamb

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

PODADO CHIBS

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Please don't pronounce 'wash' like 'warsh'. I have family in both the northern and southern US and they all do it!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Infidel Castro posted:

Do you say "sure bet" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

My father says warsh and Warshington. I used to make fun of him for it, but I think it legit made him feel bad so I stopped, I suppose it's not his fault he was raised in Missour-ah.

• Locked thread