Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

OctoberBlues posted:

Go ahead, let's hear them. I have two that come to mind. Please excuse my attempts to convey pronunciation, I don't fully understand the official way to do it, and you probably don't either, so I basically just sound it out in writing.

HYPERBOLIC
Literally pronounced like hyper-bolic. Why the gently caress doesn't this follow the way "hyperbole" is pronounced? If it was pronounced hy-perb-o-lick it would sound much less clunky, ya know?

HOMOGENEOUS
Same poo poo with this one. Homo-geneous. Why isn't it pronounced similar to homogenized? So ho-mahg-enous. The way it is pronounced is like if a second grader saw it in a textbook and tried to say it.

Please share word pronunciations that you hate!

I like to pronounce hyperbole as hyper-bowl. Like some sort of football bloodsport event where knives and jetpacks are involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

OctoberBlues posted:

There is some David Sedaris story about his old neighbor lady that always says terlet, it's such a goofy pronunciation and I'm sad I've never heard anyone actually say it.

Thank New York. Why soitanly!

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2012/05/new-york-accent.html

Curl and coil sort of defeat this, though.

----
Canadians pronouncing process with a long o. Why. Why that ONE WORD.

People who pronounce tenet tenant and tack tact should be brained with a cast iron skillet.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

Hardawn posted:

My grams said oye-ange fit orange and my dad says torlet for toilet

New Orleans folks reporting in for:

"turlet"
"zink" (sink)
"wrench" (rinse)
"burl" (boil)
"earl" (oil)
"fridgidaire" (I'm aware that this is a dumpster/kleenex-type situation, but it confused the poo poo out of me as a child)

I personally say "micwowave"/"micowave", because the real thing is a physically impossible word for me to say apparently. :smith:

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
Let's call the whole thing off!

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ore-gone instead of Orgehn

Like, how do people actually pronounce a loving entire state's name wrong

Everyone who lives there says it that way and everyone will tell you that

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Teikanmi posted:

For some reason everyone in Minnesota says Ore-uh-gone. It was really annoying.

Lusso
Jul 1, 2003

"across-t"

There's no loving T.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

This is kind of a different thing, but there was a lady at the last company I worked for who was a vice president of the company and she always said "I seen" instead of "I saw" and no one had the balls to say to her, hey you sound like a dumb loving hick.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Teikanmi posted:

Yes, when actors say it that way it's super distracting. Also Spo-kain

manofsloth
Sep 2, 2011
College Slice
I had a friend in high school who insisted on pronouncing ancient as ank-shunt.
Also, I know it's not technically incorrect, but I hate hearing people go out of their way to enunciate "an historic." Either use "a" or go full Cockney 'istoric.
The worst word one can say in English though, will always be "sixths." Doesn't matter who you are.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Melk
Dat instead of that

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lol at people from out of my city trying to pronounce kuykendahl dr correct.

It's kirk-en-dahl not whatever garbage you're trying to say.

tough stains
May 23, 2007

Desire gets the upper hand over insight and foresight and the results are often needless entanglement.
ex-patriot

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Every British pronunciation of foreign words is dumpster-speak.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Somehow I learned the word adjucent from reading instead of learning as my dad would always just say caddy-corner when he meant accross a diagonol.... now i pronounce it adj-aye-cent and everyone calls me on it. To this day I can't remember which is correct until I look it up.

Its Uh-jaye-cent. Its uh-jaye-cent. its uh-jaye-cent its uh-jaye-cent its uhjaycent its uhjaycent its uh-jay-cent, its adgj-accent gently caress!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

500 bad things posted:

Yes, when actors say it that way it's super distracting. Also Spo-kain

There are a few things I would be better off not knowing and one of those things is the right way to say Spokane.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Its actually pretty cool.... American english is according to analysts much more likely to be how england pronounced the words at the times of the puritan flee and after it has staid roughly the same due to it not being the primary language in many neighborhoods. Supposedly american's speak more "proper" english than englishman because they continued to evolved the pronunciations over centuries after it was cut from the puritans.

Hell look at the word neighborhood, that is a straight up middle english word that we still use to this day with the same pronunciation as centuries ago. Kind of interesting

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

There are a few things I would be better off not knowing and one of those things is the right way to say Spokane.

pretty sure its Spo-kane cuz of movies. We good brah.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Wendigee posted:

pretty sure its Spo-kane cuz of movies. We good brah.

I've been there a number of times, sadly.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

I've been there a number of times, sadly.

how is it supposed to be pronounced you monster do not leave me to hang.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Carbine.

It shouldn't sound like carbean, these are firearms not baked beans.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
AluMINium

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Prorat posted:

Carbine.

It shouldn't sound like carbean, these are firearms not baked beans.

yeah its french, so its car-bean I agree but it is what it is.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

NOPE its aluminum, says the greatest producer in the world of the stuff before china found deposits and we still order it as aluminum so you lose limey!

[edit]its a proper dumb name conspiracy i tells ya http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/aluminium.htm

some twat named it in theory decades before it was even created and he was british so the british used that dumb name even though it doesn't match the other nomenclature of similar elements found when it was actually found hence the USA and Canada using the proper found names.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 17, 2017

inkajoo
Oct 4, 2015

nyes
too lazy to read entire thread so far so apologies if any of these have been said already:

- overarking
- nukeyaller
- aks
- expresso
- pae-sta
- mischeeveeous
- supposably
- egg sedera

oh and my biggest peeve, it's "poKEHmon", not "pokeymon", people.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

inkajoo posted:

too lazy to read entire thread so far so apologies if any of these have been said already:

- overarking
- nukeyaller
- aks
- expresso
- pae-sta
- mischeeveeous
- supposably
- egg sedera

at least be not so lazy as to not provide the right pronunciation.... its just shameful to know its incorrect but not know the correct way..... drat man brutal.

that's all just written in american syllables and even most parts of america don't use them the same way bud

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I feel like epi-tome would be a much cooler pronunciation.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

I feel like epi-tome would be a much cooler pronunciation.

yes, but its a loan word, from greek?, so we use the pronunciation from the original language as much as possible. eee-pit-oh-mee

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

inkajoo posted:

In that vein, karaoke is not pronounced "kerry-okie," and it's "Tokyo," not "Tokiyo." It's not a 3-syllable word (technically it's 4 syllables, but anyway...)

Baka gaijin.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
demo
demonstrate
demonstrator
demonstration

demonstrative

I get that it flows better, but it's inconsistent, god drat it.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Hobologist posted:

In that vein, karaoke is not pronounced "kerry-okie," and it's "Tokyo," not "Tokiyo." It's not a 3-syllable word (technically it's 4 syllables, but anyway...)

Baka gaijin.

you do realize you didn't help anyone right? try it again with american syllables. I think Tokyo is supposed to be Tok-yo? Is that wrong? Also Kerry-yokie is totally how americans pronounce it, whats the proper way?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

demo
demonstrate
demonstrator
demonstration

demonstrative

I get that it flows better, but it's inconsistent, god drat it.

yeah english is a total bitch language and it doesn't follow rules. youll just drive yourself crazy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wendigee posted:

you do realize you didn't help anyone right? try it again with american syllables. I think Tokyo is supposed to be Tok-yo? Is that wrong? Also Kerry-yokie is totally how americans pronounce it, whats the proper way?

kara-oh-keh

Though the "oh-keh" part is a borrowed word of "orchestra." So it's really the japanese that are loving up the pronunciation in the first place.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 17, 2017

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Wendigee posted:

Bro, this thread is for pronouncing words wrong. If you want to pronounce words right, make your own thread.

Tokyo is To-kyo and if you read "kara oke" the way a Spanish person would it should be close enough for anyone but the wee-est of weeaboos.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
drownding

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Panacea should be pan-ace-uh instead of pan-uh-see-uh and it flips me the Frick out that the clunky way is the actual way

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

Every British pronunciation of foreign words is dumpster-speak.

I think there was a time in the 18th century when pronouncing foreign words according to English rules was considered fashionable, like saying the S in Calais. I suppose it was a protest against French being the lingua franca of Europe. I think now they're just doing it to be dicks, though.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Hobologist posted:

I think there was a time in the 18th century when pronouncing foreign words according to English rules was considered fashionable, like saying the S in Calais. I suppose it was a protest against French being the lingua franca of Europe. I think now they're just doing it to be dicks, though.

accurate view: aluMINium

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Hobologist posted:

Bro, this thread is for pronouncing words wrong. If you want to pronounce words right, make your own thread.

Tokyo is To-kyo and if you read "kara oke" the way a Spanish person would it should be close enough for anyone but the wee-est of weeaboos.

don't push me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Aluminium: Lighter than alumedium and lighter still than alumaxium.

I think that's what we should call Aluminum-28 and -29, but apparently we've made all the way up to Al-42. Aludekahypermaxium?

• Locked thread