Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?
I didn't see "re-lit-or" for realtor. That drives me insane. I had a teacher once tell me it was pronounced that way because its from the Spanish word for royal, which makes it have three syllables...but the Spanish work "re-al" would make it "re-al-tor" and still have three syllables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
Seer of millions of years
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I am the lord of eternity
I feel
I perceive
I am in the utchat in it's closing
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine
I go in and I come to life

Hardawn posted:

I can't stand people

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage

The Skeleton King posted:

All words that originated from France. How French words are spelled has nothing to do with how they sound. Letters can be added at random and none of them will make a sound. Most of them can't even agree on how to say some of their words.

There's a lot of reasons why nobody likes the French, and their inability to spell is one of those reasons.

French spelling is atrocious, pronunciation is consistent.
English spelling is atrocious, pronunciation is inconsistent.

Your choice.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I know the extraneous "r" in words like "wash" has been mentioned (people who say "dishwarsher" should be euthanized), but has anyone mentioned the weird insertion of a preliminary "h" sound in words like "whale"?

Hearing it as "huh-wail" always makes me cringe.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?
"whooping cough" pronounced a "hooping cough."

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I also pronounce it this way. What is the "correct" way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brOvcCtaROQ

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I know the extraneous "r" in words like "wash" has been mentioned (people who say "dishwarsher" should be euthanized), but has anyone mentioned the weird insertion of a preliminary "h" sound in words like "whale"?

I mean it is "whale" not "wale" I tell you what

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

americans saying "Dee-Kal" instead of decal

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

um well uhh technically it's not two separate sounds, it's a voiced velar fricative with rounded lips :downs:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

eSports Chaebol posted:

I mean it is "whale" not "wale" I tell you what

I am going to be the guy huh-woo finally starts pronouncing words like huh-wat and huh-ware consistently! :pseudo:

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

a hole-y ghost posted:

um well uhh technically it's not two separate sounds, it's a voiced velar fricative with rounded lips :downs:

it's a voiceless rounded bilabial velar glide you doofus!

e: on second thought I guess whether a voiceless approximant is a glide or a fricative is meaningless but it's still voiceless

eSports Chaebol fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 18, 2017

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

"Meer" instead of mirror.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

eSports Chaebol posted:

it's a voiceless rounded bilabial velar glide you doofus!

e: on second thought I guess whether a voiceless approximant is a glide or a fricative is meaningless but it's still voiceless
err voiceless... that's what I meant!!! I said the one thing but I meant the other, opposite thing! :sweatdrop:

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

6 million Jews died in the Hollycaust
This month is FeBREWary
I'm PERscribed antibeeotics
You had to make this an is-ewe, dint you?

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Stato-Masochist posted:

6 million Jews died in the Hollycaust
This month is FeBREWary
I'm PERscribed antibeeotics
You had to make this an is-ewe, dint you?

But this month is February. You're not one of those filthy Febuary sayers, are you?

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Moose-lemon

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
it's a mulTIMeter, not a MULTImeter.

You don't say SPEEDOmeter or ODOmeter. SpeeDOMeter. oDOMeter. Emphasis on the prefix is reserved for the unit, if that. NANOmeter. CENTImeter. KILOmeter a sometimes-exception for some reason.

A while ago NPR had a guy on talking about how back when chinese food was new in the US, the mary tyler moore show was pronouncing it "chinese FOOD" insead of "chiNESE food." It was weird and interesting.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Hardawn posted:

Moose-lemon

Muscleman?

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

Hobologist posted:

But this month is February. You're not one of those filthy Febuary sayers, are you?

Only on Wed-nes-days

Stato-Masochist fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 18, 2017

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

oldskool posted:

ō is apparently a long O, not a hard O. I learned something today.

Username/post discrepancy. In actual old school, this was covered in the first grade.

Joking, you just had this confused C and G, where hard and soft are used to describe their two possible sounds in English.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I'm almost certain there were tv ads in my region that pronounced it like the top gear guys so maybe that's where I originally picked it up.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
It's yinz you loving savages, not yunzs.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
It's 100% shibboleth but if you go to Tempe you might notice the locals emphasize the second syllable. Tem-pee, outside of there I have only heard it spoken like Tempy.

Bogatyr fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 18, 2017

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
Maybe it's due to having actual Koreans around here but Hyundai is kind a lazy middle ground between the Pronunciationbook and this one. hyun-day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0UovyM8Ni0

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Just remembered that I had a college professor once who pronounced zero as "zay-roh". He taught physics so he tended to say it a LOT.

Another teacher caused a derail in a sciene class when she took out a bottle of "i-oh-deen" and we spent the rest of the class trying to agree on the correct pronunciation. I was in the "i-oh-dyne" camp and I still am.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bogatyr posted:

Maybe it's due to having actual Koreans around here but Hyundai is kind a lazy middle ground between the Pronunciationbook and this one. hyun-day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0UovyM8Ni0

This one is correct. Still, I've heard other Americans come pretty close with Hyundai. The Top Gear guys just completely blew me away with how wrong they were. Colonizing is in their blood.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Just remembered that I had a college professor once who pronounced zero as "zay-roh". He taught physics so he tended to say it a LOT.

Another teacher caused a derail in a sciene class when she took out a bottle of "i-oh-deen" and we spent the rest of the class trying to agree on the correct pronunciation. I was in the "i-oh-dyne" camp and I still am.

If you've ever spoken to a native Spanish speaker about chemistry (in English) it can be a bit startling at first. Iodine = iodo, for example.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Appre-SEA-ate.

Get hosed, posho

Woden
May 6, 2006

One professor spent half a lecture berating us for never being taught about "empty fires", someone finally figured out he meant amplifiers and we finally started the lesson.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Grump posted:

yeah, no = no
no, yeah = yeah

Not really a pronunciation, but it's p dumb

I drive my girlfriend crazy with this

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Vehicle as ve-hic-al always makes me smile

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Nobody says "no, yeah" do they?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
at least "yeah, no" can be like confirming a doubt or whatever

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

Woden posted:

One professor spent half a lecture berating us for never being taught about "empty fires", someone finally figured out he meant amplifiers and we finally started the lesson.

I took a class on a Nokia CDMA base station years ago, the instructor was from Mexico City. At one point he was talking about a "vai ess tee ee" the whole class was baffled until he put up a slide with word "Bias Tee". A collective subdued ooohh came over the class with a puzzled look on the instructor's face.

Just to head this question off, A bias tee is used to apply power(separate from the RF) to a coaxial cable to power a mast head amplifier.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bogatyr posted:

I took a class on a Nokia CDMA base station years ago, the instructor was from Mexico City. At one point he was talking about a "vai ess tee ee" the whole class was baffled until he put up a slide with word "Bias Tee". A collective subdued ooohh came over the class with a puzzled look on the instructor's face.

Just to head this question off, A bias tee is used to apply power(separate from the RF) to a coaxial cable to power a mast head amplifier.

So it runs kind of like power over ethernet?

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
Laboratory & prescription.

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I feel
I perceive
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine

Grump posted:

yeah, no = no
no, yeah = yeah

Not really a pronunciation, but it's p dumb

I still don't get this post. I'm sure it's just me though

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I feel
I perceive
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine
donald trump: NUKE-you-LERR

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:

ra tehuti posted:

I still don't get this post. I'm sure it's just me though

Whether you hate love or love hate

hate wins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

theres a will theres moe posted:

it's a mulTIMeter, not a MULTImeter.

You don't say SPEEDOmeter or ODOmeter. SpeeDOMeter. oDOMeter. Emphasis on the prefix is reserved for the unit, if that. NANOmeter. CENTImeter. KILOmeter a sometimes-exception for some reason.

A while ago NPR had a guy on talking about how back when chinese food was new in the US, the mary tyler moore show was pronouncing it "chinese FOOD" insead of "chiNESE food." It was weird and interesting.
flometer

• Locked thread