Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
Seer of millions of years
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I am the lord of eternity
I feel
I perceive
I am in the utchat in it's closing
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine
I go in and I come to life

BirryJoru posted:

Whether you hate love or love hate

hate wins

sounds like no means no and rape means rape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

theres a will theres moe posted:

it's a mulTIMeter, not a MULTImeter.

You don't say SPEEDOmeter or ODOmeter. SpeeDOMeter. oDOMeter. Emphasis on the prefix is reserved for the unit, if that. NANOmeter. CENTImeter. KILOmeter a sometimes-exception for some reason.

A while ago NPR had a guy on talking about how back when chinese food was new in the US, the mary tyler moore show was pronouncing it "chinese FOOD" insead of "chiNESE food." It was weird and interesting.

I kind of agree, but I work with multimeters everyday and I've never heard anyone say mulTIMeter. Even master electricians say MULTI-meter. There's not really any logic behind the syllable stress in most English words. As with many aspects of English, there are so many exceptions to every rule that there are scarcely any rules.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

MULTIpass

MULTImeter

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
Seer of millions of years
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I am the lord of eternity
I feel
I perceive
I am in the utchat in it's closing
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine
I go in and I come to life
what in the gently caress is a mulTIMeter?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

theres a will theres moe posted:

A while ago NPR had a guy on talking about how back when chinese food was new in the US, the mary tyler moore show was pronouncing it "chinese FOOD" insead of "chiNESE food." It was weird and interesting.

It's really cool when separate words get mushed together to form one "word". Like the difference between blue bird and bluebird. But in this case chinese food remains separated, but the emphasis moves around.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

ra tehuti posted:

It measures stuff.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
If the H isn't silent in your dialect don't precede it with 'an'. Unless you are a cockney it's not an horrific disaster. Also it's aitch not haitch.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
For some odd reason, for the past few years my mom pronounces "thirsty" as "thirs-day" (almost like "thursday"). It drives me nuts.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Yeah, FLOMMETer. ;)

ra tehuti posted:

https://youtu.be/IdsB2xbcAcA

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Big Clive often calls milliamperes millamps and I hate that uggh.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Excape.

Your Taint posted:

For some odd reason, for the past few years my mom pronounces "thirsty" as "thirs-day" (almost like "thursday"). It drives me nuts.

Maybe she's a Tech N9ne fan

Wordplay rhymes with Thursday and thirsty, if I'm thirst-ay!

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Beau pronounced boo.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I used to work with a guy for whom "one Hertz" was "one hert." it was embarrassing, especially if he'd do it talking to a customer.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Let me aux you a question

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Here is a pair that I hate the correct pronunciation:

Boatswain
Gunwale

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

So it runs kind of like power over ethernet?

Yeah, and a mast head amplifier is on the receive side, kicking up the signal as close to the antenna as possible.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
my coworker just found out what the word "defenestrate" means a few weeks ago and he has now said it 7+ times but he keeps pronouncing it "def-uhn-straight" and I want to punch him in the throat

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Woden posted:

One professor spent half a lecture berating us for never being taught about "empty fires", someone finally figured out he meant amplifiers and we finally started the lesson.

Had a professor from China for a data structures course that would pronounce "tree" and "queue" the same.

mult emitter lol

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

tomahto

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Boatswain
Gunwale

These are the worst, the pronunciations got lazier over time but nobody ever fixed the spelling to compensate. This is why I don't get mad over how Americans say lieutenant, like proper British Brits do.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Beau pronounced boo.

Yeah, same.

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
Picture being pronounced as "pitcher" and not "pick-chure". I'm from Minnesota and hear it all the time, but I've also heard it escape the lips of people I know from Texas.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

Picture being pronounced as "pitcher" and not "pick-chure". I'm from Minnesota and hear it all the time, but I've also heard it escape the lips of people I know from Texas.

Don't you guys also play "Duck ,Duck, Grey Duck" instead of "Duck, Duck, Goose"

liar_ur_a_liar
Feb 18, 2017

by Smythe
Justin Farrell coward racist toronto ontario

hey you little ratfink coward

dont go joining anti semite cliques in hs and making a hate group like sycophant squad with jeph k and expecting me to want to defend it while im getting straight up bullied my whole childhood for being a "JEW"

if u join a wiccan pact when ur like 10 with some idiots like yazim tayag and deserae campbell, trying to make your best friend into paul bernarnda serial rapist of grade school and then carrying that same gossip on from geocities into 2017 thats a crime

using an instititution to systematically predate on your childhood friends is nothing but cult behaviour. the extra judicial sharia law aspect and the racism entrapment aspects that i experienced make it treason

GET THE gently caress OUT OF WRITING AND THE INTERNET

TAKE YOUR WHOLE drat FAMILY WITH YOU IDIOT

make sure you take those especiqually cliqued up faggots pual and kevin with you because they flat out bought into ben's family coalition neil mcneil white knights NIACENE CREED
NO AGENCY FOR WOMEN HOUSE WIFERY IS FEMINISM

and its like get the gently caress away from me i didnt want this poo poo following me beyond my kid years in grade school or hs

i let you touch my mom

and ur whole crew of deceptive betraying COWARDS AND LIARS

ur worse a mysongist and liar and coward than kate and ryan who basically own the website with lowtax LOL AND TRIED TO KILL A GUY AND STEAL HIS MONEY

and u wonder why those girls commit the slenderman murders or teen suicide is high?

its because of family coalition irish catholic cult mentality of backstabbing like JUSTIN FARRELL

HEY SUPER GROVER IF U READ THIS DONT HIRE THAT BITCH TO WRITE ANYTHING HE DOESNT GET THE MORAL OF THE STORIES AND COULDNT UNDERSTAND LORD OF THE FLIES

HES SEXIST AND HOMOPHOBIC AND A LIAR

- from dare @ http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
That one doesn't track as well dare sorry

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
Neighborhood kid used to pronounce truck as gently caress.

BirryJoru fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 18, 2017

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I have some BBC show about natural disasters on right now and the way they are saying hurricane is very annoying. It sounds like hurra-kin.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Here's one that'll bother a lot of people. A lot of British people pronounce "Nike" as rhyming with bike. This is also how they defend the pronunciation to you when you point out that it's an American company named after a Greek goddess, both of the other groups pronouncing it with two syllables.

raton fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 18, 2017

BDSM-IV
Sep 22, 2016
Batteries not included.
Heighth instead of height. :mad: I don't know why this one bothers me so much.

Also eck cetera instead of et cetera.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

HJB posted:

These are the worst, the pronunciations got lazier over time but nobody ever fixed the spelling to compensate. This is why I don't get mad over how Americans say lieutenant, like proper British Brits do.

But it appears that Brits use both pronunciations of lieutenant, one for naval, one for army. Or something like that.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Boatswain
Gunwale
Coxswain :wotwot:

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
Wine pronounced like whine but it's said "ween"!!!!

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
I like to mispronounce Champagne :twisted:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

biopic is another one... seems like it should be bi-opic, it flows better. Instead it is the clunky bio-pic.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Bogatyr posted:

It's 100% shibboleth but if you go to Tempe you might notice the locals emphasize the second syllable. Tem-pee, outside of there I have only heard it spoken like Tempy.

are you sure it isn't tem-PAY and the name of a small island near Mombasa because that's what comes to mind when I see it

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

OctoberBlues posted:

biopic is another one... seems like it should be bi-opic, it flows better. Instead it is the clunky bio-pic.

nah sorry, cant get behind that one a biopic is a biographical (moving)picture, not a bisexual overseas private investment corporation

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Why the gently caress do the Spice Girls say "from ay to zee"?? Thought they were supposed to be British.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
It makes them sound exotic in the U.K.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Checking yourself/humble-bragging for being pedantic seems to be a thing now. If most of your audience clearly doesn't know what pedantic means, you are actually being didactic.

Pointing out this difference is pedantic, which sets up a Hofstadterian strange loop.

Calling this Hofstadterian is didactic, so...

Really best to avoid these words, and self-reference in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Marv Hushman posted:

Checking yourself/humble-bragging for being pedantic seems to be a thing now. If most of your audience clearly doesn't know what pedantic means, you are actually being didactic.

Pointing out this difference is pedantic, which sets up a Hofstadterian strange loop.

Calling this Hofstadterian is didactic, so...

Really best to avoid these words, and self-reference in general.

How about you died on this dad dick right now, lady?

• Locked thread