Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Beau pronounced boo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Here is a pair that I hate the correct pronunciation:

Boatswain
Gunwale

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

HJB posted:

These are the worst, the pronunciations got lazier over time but nobody ever fixed the spelling to compensate. This is why I don't get mad over how Americans say lieutenant, like proper British Brits do.

But it appears that Brits use both pronunciations of lieutenant, one for naval, one for army. Or something like that.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
It makes them sound exotic in the U.K.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
My understanding of common usage is the pharmaceutical is epinephrine, whereas the stuff produced by the body is adrenaline. Not sure about medical fields...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Language is different thousands of miles away. Who knew. I was meaning in the U.S. common usage.

• Locked thread