Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
'Carmel' for 'caramel.' The word has a loving A in it.

Also 'on-velope' for envelope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Also, fith and sikth for 5th and 6th.

Everyone knows it should be fift and sixt.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

a bone to pick posted:

Can I axe you a queshion?

Well, "asked" is hard to say because of the double plosive. Just say "asst" instead. It's more fun.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

inkajoo posted:

oh and my biggest peeve, it's "poKEHmon", not "pokeymon", people.

In that vein, karaoke is not pronounced "kerry-okie," and it's "Tokyo," not "Tokiyo." It's not a 3-syllable word (technically it's 4 syllables, but anyway...)

Baka gaijin.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Wendigee posted:

you do realize you didn't help anyone right? try it again with american syllables. I think Tokyo is supposed to be Tok-yo? Is that wrong? Also Kerry-yokie is totally how americans pronounce it, whats the proper way?

Bro, this thread is for pronouncing words wrong. If you want to pronounce words right, make your own thread.

Tokyo is To-kyo and if you read "kara oke" the way a Spanish person would it should be close enough for anyone but the wee-est of weeaboos.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

Every British pronunciation of foreign words is dumpster-speak.

I think there was a time in the 18th century when pronouncing foreign words according to English rules was considered fashionable, like saying the S in Calais. I suppose it was a protest against French being the lingua franca of Europe. I think now they're just doing it to be dicks, though.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Aluminium: Lighter than alumedium and lighter still than alumaxium.

I think that's what we should call Aluminum-28 and -29, but apparently we've made all the way up to Al-42. Aludekahypermaxium?

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

A whole nother thing.

That's a charming one. I'm not sure if that originated as inserting "whole" into "another," in the manner of "abso-loving-lutely," or if it's genuine ignorance.

Do you mock them by offering a half nother or three-quarters of a nother?

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Grevling posted:

A lot of these are just dialectal differences that really shouldn't piss you off.

Well, according to the principle of common usage...
:goonsay:

Grammar communists are worse than grammar Nazis.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Stato-Masochist posted:

6 million Jews died in the Hollycaust
This month is FeBREWary
I'm PERscribed antibeeotics
You had to make this an is-ewe, dint you?

But this month is February. You're not one of those filthy Febuary sayers, are you?

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Hardawn posted:

Moose-lemon

Muscleman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

My boss when talking about printer toner will say "Ky-ann" and I'll say "sigh-ann" and everyone I know says it like cy not ky but I hear my boss saying it that way so much I started to doubt my self. Is it a regional thing or is he just wrong?

Yes and no. The word comes from the Greek word kuaneos. So in the Greek region he'd be right.

• Locked thread