Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Go ahead, let's hear them. I have two that come to mind. Please excuse my attempts to convey pronunciation, I don't fully understand the official way to do it, and you probably don't either, so I basically just sound it out in writing.

HYPERBOLIC
Literally pronounced like hyper-bolic. Why the gently caress doesn't this follow the way "hyperbole" is pronounced? If it was pronounced hy-perb-o-lick it would sound much less clunky, ya know?

HOMOGENEOUS
Same poo poo with this one. Homo-geneous. Why isn't it pronounced similar to homogenized? So ho-mahg-enous. The way it is pronounced is like if a second grader saw it in a textbook and tried to say it.

Please share word pronunciations that you hate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Gyro is another one that I have a problem with, but it's different from the words I originally posted. The correct pronunciation seems to be something like year-oh, but everyone seems to say it slightly different, with different emphasis and flair.

Then you have the people that have just given up and say gy-ro, like rhymes with pyro. This is pretty accepted, which is kind of annoying because it is just lazy and wrong, but on the other hand, people trying to say it exactly like they would in Greece is also annoying.

Kind of a no win situation with that word.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I know the creator of the gif says it is pronounced like jif, but does he really get to decide that? I prefer gif, but I think jif is still technically considered correct? I don't know, but it's annoying.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Teikanmi posted:

It IS pronounced like that, you're just an idiot. Everyone says "huhmah-juhnized" except you, moron.

I don't think you read my post very thoroughly, bud. :)

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Teikanmi posted:

Huhmah-juhnous

You're weird

Well I agree that is how that word should be said, but if you are pronouncing it like that you are incorrect. Sorry.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

Homogenous and homogeneous are technically two different words but they have similar meanings and in many places homogenous is taking over both uses and pronunciations.

Well thank god for that, I just remember hearing the homo-geneous pronunciation in science classes and thinking how dumb it sounded.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I'm legit surprised that Ex-presso isn't a formally accepted pronunciation because it seems like goddamn everyone says it.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Oh, the first online dictionary I pulled up didn't list it and I was too lazy to look up any others. :shrug:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

My father says warsh and Warshington. I used to make fun of him for it, but I think it legit made him feel bad so I stopped, I suppose it's not his fault he was raised in Missour-ah.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Hardawn posted:

My grams said oye-ange fit orange and my dad says torlet for toilet

There is some David Sedaris story about his old neighbor lady that always says terlet, it's such a goofy pronunciation and I'm sad I've never heard anyone actually say it.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

smug n stuff posted:

interesting that Oxford dictionary pronunciation gives this pronunciation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFfAbnPHt0I
but the american pronunciation guide gives the other one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6sVJ-b17iQ

As has been discussed those are two different words and apparently the top one is starting to replace the bottom one, which is good news for civilized society.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Hobologist posted:

'Carmel' for 'caramel.' The word has a loving A in it.

I try to pronounce this with the extra syllable but I often don't out of habit. Caramel just sounds tastier than carmel anyway, there's no reason not to say it.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

The reason is "caramel" is a little too fey and continental for my tastes.

Shaq begs to differ. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiHkPjRkyIU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Teikanmi posted:

Ore-gone instead of Orgehn

Like, how do people actually pronounce a loving entire state's name wrong

Everyone who lives there says it that way and everyone will tell you that

For some reason everyone in Minnesota says Ore-uh-gone. It was really annoying.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

This is kind of a different thing, but there was a lady at the last company I worked for who was a vice president of the company and she always said "I seen" instead of "I saw" and no one had the balls to say to her, hey you sound like a dumb loving hick.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

When I heard how the Top Gear hosts pronounced "Hyundai" I thought I had been raped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cklyAeAa8M

Haha, high-un-die, that's funny, never would known that if not for that clip.

eSports Chaebol posted:

I'm p sure the word "sixths" violates English phonotactics and should be stricken from the lexicon or maybe we can donate it to some Slavic language

I just said "sixths" out loud and my mouth produced a sound I didn't even know I could make.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

What is the correct way to say Porsche? Seems people always used to say it as one syllable but now people are saying it with two. Are people just extra douchey now or was it being pronounced wrong before?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Hardawn posted:

Don't people say Audi differently, I'm sure that upsets someone

I have always said it like "oddie" but i think "ow-dee" is actually correct?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I have some BBC show about natural disasters on right now and the way they are saying hurricane is very annoying. It sounds like hurra-kin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

biopic is another one... seems like it should be bi-opic, it flows better. Instead it is the clunky bio-pic.

• Locked thread