Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Not a pronunciation, but wrong synonym. Attending zoophysiology class right now, and some of my classmates use "epinephrine" because it says so in the course literature (American book).
Well, on this side of the Atlantic it's called f-ing ADRENALINE! And we speak Swedish amongst ourselves, where adrenaline is the accepted everyday use of the word and epinephrine is unheard outside of textbook and American medical dramas, so in Swedish it's even more jarring.
Before this class they would all be calling it adrenaline, but as soon as it's called epinephrine by a book, half of the class switch the terms on a dime.

Both words mean the same thing, but epinephrine is Greek and adrenaline is Latin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Corky Romanovsky posted:

My understanding of common usage is the pharmaceutical is epinephrine, whereas the stuff produced by the body is adrenaline. Not sure about medical fields...

In Europe and the UK, adrenaline is the approved name in pharmaceuticals as well.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Sorry, I misunderstood.
It's kind of weird, even in American English it's adrenorgenic receptors, adrenergic neurons, medical derivates of the substance is called things like adrenalone, anatomical parts are called "adrenal" something, but it's only the substance itself carries the Greek name epinephrine, everything else around it carries the Latin root.

One could easily make the case for adrenaline in American English as well.

• Locked thread