Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Homogenous and homogeneous are technically two different words but they have similar meanings and in many places homogenous is taking over both uses and pronunciations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

OctoberBlues posted:

Gyro is another one that I have a problem with, but it's different from the words I originally posted. The correct pronunciation seems to be something like year-oh, but everyone seems to say it slightly different, with different emphasis and flair.

Then you have the people that have just given up and say gy-ro, like rhymes with pyro. This is pretty accepted, which is kind of annoying because it is just lazy and wrong, but on the other hand, people trying to say it exactly like they would in Greece is also annoying.

Kind of a no win situation with that word.

A Greek in my home town used to tell everyone that came into his restaurant that it was "gee roh" or "yee row" but in NYC you are supposed to say "jhai row" and I therefore consider "jhai row" to be a regionalism. While NYC has the lowest proportion of soft headed hicks of anywhere in the country that doesn't mean they don't have some and are definitely wrong about some language things. Such as gyro. Or standing "on line."

raton fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 16, 2017

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

numberoneposter posted:

whinge

like wtf

I don't like how queue is spelled. It should just be que or better still cue. When see "queue" written out I want to say "quay quay" which is idiotic.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
My dad says "boo fay" instead of "buff ay" it's bad it's real bad

Luckily he usually refers to it as "went to see the China lady" instead

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Barry Scott posted:

"Ex-cape" same with "Ex-presso"

relax-o-vision posted:

My stepbrother pronounces "both" as "bolth," and every time I just want to gouge bolth of his eyes out.

I do all of this

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

OctoberBlues posted:

Well thank god for that, I just remember hearing the homo-geneous pronunciation in science classes and thinking how dumb it sounded.

Like everything else worth learning in science they picked it up from mathematicians.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

OctoberBlues posted:

I'm legit surprised that Ex-presso isn't a formally accepted pronunciation because it seems like goddamn everyone says it.

It is :ssh:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Any white people that dial the Hispaniola up to 11 only for the words tortilla and cilantro are bad people and you should be able to thrash them without legal repercussions.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a little tip to all the suburbanites out there: The way ethnics say it in Ethnic doesn't correlate 1:1 with how we say it in English. If you go to Mexico you don't find people saying "Picks-ar" or "tel uh vish un" they gently caress it up and say "Peek sar" and "tel ay vees eon" this is the way language works.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

extra stout posted:

the kids at school used to shout homo-genius at me often and i'd try to correct their pronunciation but they never learned

What was the cutest boys name that did this to you and did he do other things to you?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Infidel Castro posted:

People who pronounce 'sherbet' with a superfluous R, making it sound like "sher-burt" deserve to be lined up against the wall.

Do you say "sure bet" lol

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hobologist posted:

'Carmel' for 'caramel.' The word has a loving A in it.

Also 'on-velope' for envelope.

The food industry distinguishes between these, I forget which one is allowed to be 75% ratshit and which one can do 15%

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

OctoberBlues posted:

I try to pronounce this with the extra syllable but I often don't out of habit. Caramel just sounds tastier than carmel anyway, there's no reason not to say it.

The reason is "caramel" is a little too fey and continental for my tastes.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

numberoneposter posted:

every word should be truncated as much as possible while still retaining its utility in description

za
burgs
ritos
sando
spaghet

etc

I knew a guy named Jacob who couldn't say "hamburger" so he would say "hangurburger" instead. He was a soft brained narc and grew up to be a single dad fundie.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hobologist posted:

Well, "asked" is hard to say because of the double plosive. Just say "asst" instead. It's more fun.

I read an article written by an actual linguist about this and he attributed it to social forces -- eg, "asked" is hard to say for everyone so all small kids say "axe you about it" at some point in their lives. The difference is kids whose parents either have bad educations and don't know the difference or else kids who are from a culture that takes pride in being non-white will not tell them its the wrong way to say it and force correction, these same kids are also far less likely to have a peer group that makes fun of them for saying "axe" in school.

English has a fairly large number of consonant clusters so going down the road of "just say it the easy way" can actually lead to intelligibility issues. There are languages that are worse in this regard though. Supposedly Basque is very bad but I know nothing of it. Khmer is really bad for consonants packing together.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Machai posted:

hmmm you could say they are being...homogenized

Or that the pronunciation and meaning are becoming increasingly homogeneous.

*stick falls out of rear end and clatters on the tile

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

yogizh posted:

I spent few moths in Cyprus and Greek pronounciation of Hercules is actualy eerahklees. Also the letter beta is pronounced as veeta.

Lattimore translations for lyfe

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

500 bad things posted:

Yes, when actors say it that way it's super distracting. Also Spo-kain

There are a few things I would be better off not knowing and one of those things is the right way to say Spokane.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Wendigee posted:

pretty sure its Spo-kane cuz of movies. We good brah.

I've been there a number of times, sadly.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Wendigee posted:

how is it supposed to be pronounced you monster do not leave me to hang.

Like most things about Spokane it's done in the most slovenly and disappointing way. "Spoh - can"

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

oldskool posted:

Ogle has a hard O sound; it isn't a cartoon horn (oooooogle) and it isn't the middle of goggles.

"Hard o sound" isn't how you describe whatever sound it is you think ogle has friendo

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

My dad pronounces the word safety as 'say-fuh-tee', with an emphasis on the 'fuh' part, that's always really irritated me.

My mom says "waTJHer" for water because she thinks she's a krautwife and thinks that's how a krautwife would say it. I think.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Here's one that'll bother a lot of people. A lot of British people pronounce "Nike" as rhyming with bike. This is also how they defend the pronunciation to you when you point out that it's an American company named after a Greek goddess, both of the other groups pronouncing it with two syllables.

raton fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 18, 2017

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Marv Hushman posted:

Checking yourself/humble-bragging for being pedantic seems to be a thing now. If most of your audience clearly doesn't know what pedantic means, you are actually being didactic.

Pointing out this difference is pedantic, which sets up a Hofstadterian strange loop.

Calling this Hofstadterian is didactic, so...

Really best to avoid these words, and self-reference in general.

How about you died on this dad dick right now, lady?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Ask the Guatemalan maid to change the bed shits but actually put shits in the bed for her to change and also she actually changes them what a twist!

• Locked thread