Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Woden posted:

Sodder instead of solder grinds my gears, there's an l in there retards.
Sixth=sick, how do you gently caress it up this badly?
90% of the vowels coming out of a New Zealanders mouth.

I'm p sure the word "sixths" violates English phonotactics and should be stricken from the lexicon or maybe we can donate it to some Slavic language

seriously CVCCCC wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I know the extraneous "r" in words like "wash" has been mentioned (people who say "dishwarsher" should be euthanized), but has anyone mentioned the weird insertion of a preliminary "h" sound in words like "whale"?

Hearing it as "huh-wail" always makes me cringe.

I mean it is "whale" not "wale" I tell you what

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

a hole-y ghost posted:

um well uhh technically it's not two separate sounds, it's a voiced velar fricative with rounded lips :downs:

it's a voiceless rounded bilabial velar glide you doofus!

e: on second thought I guess whether a voiceless approximant is a glide or a fricative is meaningless but it's still voiceless

eSports Chaebol fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 18, 2017

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Bogatyr posted:

It's 100% shibboleth but if you go to Tempe you might notice the locals emphasize the second syllable. Tem-pee, outside of there I have only heard it spoken like Tempy.

are you sure it isn't tem-PAY and the name of a small island near Mombasa because that's what comes to mind when I see it

• Locked thread