Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ive recently gotten fully into Stardew Valley. My most played game on N64 was Harvest Moon 64 to the point where I had a barn full of 50/50 sheeps and cows producing golden wool and golden milk which is like minimum 8 in game years to reach that point, which, in retrospect, is insane, but I have a deep intrinsic love of games like this. Before the idea of Survival Crafting was forever bastardized by low effort pc games, there have been games that actually treat that idea super well, and Stardew Valley seems like an amazing version of that idea.

I know some Imps have already played a ton of this, there was a thread around its a release a year or so ago, and I'd love to see some pics of their insane Mega Farms, and for people like me who picked it up in the humble bundle and are just digging (lol!!!!) in.

My posts so far on my farm:

In Training posted:

The journey of a thousand beers begins with a single bean.

In Training posted:

Mid Spring Check In:

The veggies that produce multiple harvests don't seem to do too well on sales compared to the equivalent of just growing a lot of one off crops over the same time period. And this first season is pretty scattershot because you don't have too much money going in but my plan is to have a) a coop up and running before spring ends and b) a much cleaner looking farm space in the next season. I've also been plinking away at the mine to get upgraded tools, a bar or two away from my first one, which will probably be a Bronze Watering Can.

Additional photos of the current farm:

My WIP tree grove so I can have a sustainable wood source

With my current income levels, blowing an evening drinking beer and playing arcade games puts a serious dent in my budget...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stardew Valley is win

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I'm a huge nerd when it comes to designing layouts and things, not necessarily to try and min/max efficiency, but just to have a cool/symmetrical looking place.

It's winter so you can't really see much but here's my general setup at the moment
'

Also I just booted up for the first time in a couple months and I totally forgot how great the music is in this game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I want to design my farm aesthetically first so bad but at the start I just don't have that luxury yet.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah my first whole year was a mess. The weird thing about Stardew is there's certain things that you definitely want to know early on about the game since they help a ton with your productivity, but there's also plenty of little secrets and surprises that you don't really want spoiled.

When I played I just sat back and enjoyed the experience of the first year figuring everything out, and then went hardcore into hoarding 40 of every single type of crop the next year.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Aww hell yeah, can't wait to post my farm when I get home. I always designed my crops around my current watering can and its worked wonders so far.

That said, the only real tip new players should know is: upgrade your watering can the day before it rains so the blacksmith can work on it during the rainy day and you get it back the following day. This way your crops won't miss a watering.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Just did a fist pump because I know tomorrow Ill be able to afford a coop. Also closing in on the end of spring, need to stockpile cash and plan my new season of crops, now that I can afford to.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This is like, the ideal morning coffee game for me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh man I just unlocked tree taps...I want an epic maple grove now...

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

playng this game portable is the #1 reason im buying a switch, it's so god dmn good. also ca pwns, he put ot basically a free dlc lst year and he seems like a legit cool dude wh o got rewarded for doing somethng cool by getting insanely rich

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I'm going to reinstall this game and throw the jerk-off mod on because I believe in a fully immersive experience.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

For real though SV is an amazing game that I sank way too much time into. Just wish the combat was better.

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

frank.club posted:

Stardew Valley is win

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

There is combat? Do you fight mutated turnips or cattle rustlers?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Stardew Valley is a beautiful, wonderful time vampire of Civ proportions

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

There is combat? Do you fight mutated turnips or cattle rustlers?

there's a dungeon you unlock

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Woah, that sounds cool.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Summer has arrived. And I need to take a break because my morning just disappeared :sweatdrop:

Though I had enough gold to kickstart one bigger farm but I overreached, oops. Also I need to start growing wheat to feed my chickens.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
PROTIP: There's a traveling gypsy that appears in the south forrest (near the Wizard's house) every weekend, and she sells a random assortment of items. You can buy stuff from her to complete the community center collections (assuming you went that route) without having to wait an entire year for something to be in season.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you go the JoJa mart route the game should just uninstall itself.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

this

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

In Training posted:

Bundles are half the fun for me in the early game, don't know why I'd skip that

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

In Training posted:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I've pretty much stuck to the same 6x6 design for a year but I think I can afford to expand now that I have the fully upgraded watering can. The issue is time, I don't want a repeat of ending my farm duties at like 4pm every day. Maybe another row of 4..

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i love this game.

i've only done a single playthrough, but i think i might jump back in after i finally stop dicking around and beat FFTA2

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I've pretty much stuck to the same 6x6 design for a year but I think I can afford to expand now that I have the fully upgraded watering can. The issue is time, I don't want a repeat of ending my farm duties at like 4pm every day. Maybe another row of 4..

Can you craft sprinklers yet?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
my first runthrough was really highly rated, but i can't remember what i did to get that. it felt like i was struggling the whole time.

i think i rushed mining pretty quick for the exact purpose of getting sprinkler stuff so that i didn't have to spend my entire day watering.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

sector_corrector posted:

my first runthrough was really highly rated, but i can't remember what i did to get that. it felt like i was struggling the whole time.

i think i rushed mining pretty quick for the exact purpose of getting sprinkler stuff so that i didn't have to spend my entire day watering.
I specifically neglected the relationship building part until year 3 which hurt my score quite a bit. Luckily in the patch they added the option to rescore yourself at any given time so you don't miss out on the unlocks.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I could make sprinklers but I like farming all day and pretty much only talk to the one girl I want to marry.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Leah ftw, btw.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hmm. Feeding chickens is a zero sum game if I can't grow the wheat myself. I need to get a wheat field...and a silo...

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Just buy it like a normal person. The game offers so much to do, please don't waste it farming a huge field of wheat every day.

EDIT: They also eat grass if you let them outside but eventually they'll eat all the grass.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bill Barber posted:

Just buy it like a normal person. The game offers so much to do, please don't waste it farming a huge field of wheat every day.

EDIT: They also eat grass if you let them outside but eventually they'll eat all the grass.

If you buy one piece of wheat for 50g to feed a chicken for a day they produce one 50g egg. Ill do this right. Ive got a nice sized wheat patch outside now.

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011
I am buy this tonight.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

If you buy one piece of wheat for 50g to feed a chicken for a day they produce one 50g egg. Ill do this right. Ive got a nice sized wheat patch outside now.

theres other things to do with eggs...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I'm working on making a mayonnaise maker but I need uhh an iron ore I think. Haven't gotten deep enough in the mines yet.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've left this go as it is easily the most time consuming game I have ever played. There is almost too much you can do!

I wasted loads of time down the mines getting owned by slimes

Sneaks McDevious fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 17, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Accidentally played this all day. Starting to make mayo and preserves

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does anyone have the console version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Mayo machines are a good way to make money with eggs. You're on your way my man.

• Locked thread