Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Problem description: I got a new XPS 15 a few weeks ago, and for the most part it's a fantastic laptop. But within the past couple days I've been having some latency problems in Firefox. Fullscreen video playback will stutter, Firefox will say "not responding" for a second or two, and sometimes even the mouse has a bit of a lag. I don't think this has happened outside of a web browser.

Attempted fixes:
- Googling suggested that the video driver might be the problem, but I have the most recent Intel video driver, and I don't have the option to roll it back to an older driver. Dell's website doesn't seem to have an older version, and it's not clear to me whether I can download one from Intel directly. I installed Intel's driver update utility and it said that the current driver was a customized one, so it didn't recommend using one from Intel's website. Does anyone know if I could try one from Intel?
- Someone suggested that Firefox hardware acceleration might be the problem. I turned that off, and it seemed to fix the problem (at least for the few minutes I tried), but it made fonts look bad, so this is not a great solution.

Recent changes: The Intel video driver might have updated recently, but I'm not sure.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home, 64-bit

System specs: 2017 Dell XPS 15, 8GB RAM, 256BG SSD

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

If it's only happening in Firefox I'd make sure you're using the 64-bit version of the program.

Are you using any special extensions/plugins?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Zogo posted:

If it's only happening in Firefox I'd make sure you're using the 64-bit version of the program.

Are you using any special extensions/plugins?

I've upgraded to Firefox 64-bit, but the problem persists. I'm just using normal add-ons (unless McAfee is the problem). I turned off hardware acceleration and, except for slightly worse fonts on a couple website, that basically fixes things, so it's fine.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Find the newest graphics driver for your model. Run Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) and yank out everything currently installed, then re-install the latest. I've had this issue with Intel drivers and that was the fix.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Thanks all. I think I've gotten the issues worked out. I reinstalled the latest graphics drivers like DOOMocrat mentioned, but the problem persisted when running on battery (probably due to a battery-saver option). Then I found this post (https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/5unlmb/got_my_brand_new_xps_9560_a_couple_days_ago_it/) and installed the Intel driver in bullet point #4 and everything seems to be working great!

If you've recently gotten an XPS 15 and are having lag/stutter issues, check out the link above. It seems to be a diver issue.

• Locked thread