Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
not my story but its probably the most marine corps story ever

a team leader on one of my platoon's vehicles came from active duty. his first deployment was to ramadi in 05 or 06 so poo poo was popping off in his area. some iraqi decided that he was going to suicide bomb himself in front of this patrol base that the team leader was at. no injuries, no damage but there were body parts everywhere. so...they made the boots go out there and police up the body parts. he's out there, full ppe, with a pushbroom sweeping up whats left of the martyr but not doing a good enough job for his team leader's liking. the team leader snatches the broom away, tells him hes too loving stupid to sweep correctly and gives him the most grisly hip pocket class on how to use a pushbroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

once he told me the story, i made him tell all the other ncos because its loving surreal. the setting and the characters but the actual movements he did with the broom to show the proper method(short strokes in case you were wondering) really made the whole story.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
As far as I'm aware, I've only known one guy who died on active duty, and that was a high school buddy in a Blackhawk crash with JTF-B. A lot of guys in my school enlisted after graduating and I didn't maintain contact, so there could be a whole bunch more. They most/all probably would've stayed in, since their 4 would've been up between 9/11 and 2003.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

once he told me the story, i made him tell all the other ncos because its loving surreal. the setting and the characters but the actual movements he did with the broom to show the proper method(short strokes in case you were wondering) really made the whole story.

Well, duh, everyone knows that. Dude just tried to sham out of sweeping up body parts

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The only military friends I know who have died were all suicides :smith:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

DoktorLoken posted:

The only military friends I know who have died were all suicides :smith:

ReebTop
May 17, 2003
One suicide (Iorio), a dumb car accident here in the states (Page), three KIA. Two of them, Hrbek and Lindskog, got the Silver Star; Hall was the third, no idea what happened. Hrbek I think actually got two Silver Stars, saved a bunch of other jarheads a week before stepping on an IED in Afghanistan. Lindskog went out with a QRF to be an extra medic for TIC, ended up getting shot above his side plate. Directed treatment and medevac while laying there. Died in the bird, last one to get loaded, refused to be evac'd before any of the other wounded.

That kid was a weird little nerd in AIT and ended up being the most heroic loving person I've ever known, and that's with 11 years on an ambulance, 10 years in the fire department, and 9 years in the Army.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
I've been to more memorial services than retirement or promotion ceremonies thanks to the GWOT.

Now that the years are adding up I find myself just remembering faces and personalities more so than names and ranks.

Makes me feel like poo poo when I'm trying to remember a guys name and I know he was KIA in Afghanistan from an IED.

Seems like something I'd never forget but years of anesthetizing with weed, booze, and meds and everything about the two wars I fought in are distant and hazy.

Then I run out of weed like today, and I start remembering bad poo poo again and start feeling guilty as poo poo.

Goddamn war.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
:same: dude. Sometimes I vent to my girlfriend and tell her poo poo I've not talked to anyone else about except my war buddies, and half the time I have trouble or just flat out can't remember a dude's name or his face, sometimes even both.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I have all these memories of amazing scenery and people in Afghanistan, but they all get pushed aside because one of the best people I ever knew got shot by some nut cause he tried to help. He was there to rebuild, not fight.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Protip: Do NOT show your wife footage of an attack. She won't take that very well...

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Grem posted:

Some details are a little fuzzy cause the VA made me take mad drugs and now my loving memory is swiss cheese. Does anyone else have that? Like I can't even remember the last kids name. I do remember the sergeant, but gently caress man, I have some serious name forgetfulness.

I do, but mine is a result of multiple head injuries.

If you have a history of more than 5 then chances are its not the meds, but the injuries.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I have all these memories of amazing scenery and people in Afghanistan, but they all get pushed aside because one of the best people I ever knew got shot by some nut cause he tried to help. He was there to rebuild, not fight.

They have a memorium for him in the Bee museum here in Hueneme. It's depressing

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
I'll never be able to forget our KIAs, but the guys who got hit yet made it to Germany? I can't even remember the overall number, to say nothing of names and faces. It's as if they died too.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I can't remember half of the people I served with names, but I remember most of them.

Then again I have a whole bunch of head injuries and medication issues, so I'm glad I remember anything.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i remember getting off the plane in kuwait and being met by uso people handing out cards for Matthew Maupin

that still fucks me up

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I didn't realize one of those guys was never found.

Or that the convoy commander's driver (after the commander was knocked out) led as much of the convoy as he could out of the ambush to a nearby tank company, then brought THEM back in to get survivors. Dude got a silver star.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
gently caress ever getting captured. I'd rather eat a bullet than that. That one dude who decided it was a good idea to walk off base to go visit his Iraqi girlfriend or some poo poo happened when I was there.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Bergdahl. I was watching the JPRC chat for the first few days between flights. Pretty interesting stuff.

loving idiot.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

ive told the story before, but during our time mobilizing at fort dix they marched us all to the base theater and yelled at us to not get captured after showing the nick berg video on a movie theater screen with 5 other companies

yeah gently caress getting captured

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Godholio posted:

Bergdahl. I was watching the JPRC chat for the first few days between flights. Pretty interesting stuff.

loving idiot.

News just broke that the unit he was with is deploying this year, for the first time since that deployment. Wonder what kinds of poo poo they're going to do to prevent another soldier from walking off.

He kept popping up on the monthly reports as needing to go to BLC and being red on medpros before they got him back. I got a chuckle whenever I saw that.

vains
May 26, 2004

we got random care packages with bergdahl stickers. couldnt google him because we didnt have internet. the care pckages were lovely, full of pencils and hard candy. not dip and oui.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
the best random soldier care packaged i got was full of some american idol singers single cds lol, this is gonna date me but like 2005 and it was some dude with grey hair idk.

they all went in the burn pit and probably gave me cancer

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

A Bad Poster posted:

He kept popping up on the monthly reports as needing to go to BLC and being red on medpros before they got him back. I got a chuckle whenever I saw that.

:lol:

I bet his email was just nothing but angry messages from SNCOs to come see them in his dress uniform about missed appointments and falling behind on annual training.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

the best random soldier care packaged i got was full of some american idol singers single cds lol, this is gonna date me but like 2005 and it was some dude with grey hair idk.

they all went in the burn pit and probably gave me cancer

We had a guy who had a bag of the cheapest Bic razors imaginable, and he'd use them faaaar too long. He wouldn't throw one out until his face looked like he was shaving with a handful of broken glass. We found a single pink Bic in a rando care package, and replaced his almost-full bag of razors with that one. He never said a word, and we actually forgot about it until a couple of weeks later when someone saw him using it and asked him why he was using a pink razor.

He cared a lot more when we replaced his last pair of PT shorts with a size S...he was wearing L and probably should've been wearing XXL (they ran small as poo poo, tbh). There was ranting, raving, and more cursing than I'd heard from him in the entire 3 years I'd known him up to that point. Nobody at that base had any integrity, apparently, and he was going to have to sit with his laundry from now on. :lol:

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I didn't buy local in Iraq so I dunno if this was just an Afghanistan thing but Seven Stars were legit as hell.

This is in reply to page 1 cigarette chat.

just lol if your war stories involve anything other than trips to the bazaar for japanese cigarettes and pakistani snack cakes

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i was fobbit as gently caress and i will never deny that but I'm eternally thankful for that at the same time

god bless grand mal seizures

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

fobbit, grunt..

whether you do 1 patrol or a 100

Who the gently caress is gonna verify your SAFire?

I SEEN SOME poo poo AND I COME HOME TO A COIUNTRY thAT SPITS ON ME LIKE GRANDAD I TELL YA ITS DISGRACEFUL *cashes disability check*

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
seriously though respect for you dudes that actually did poo poo though, like i'm legit embarrassed to call myself a veteran unless its someone who didn't even enlist or whatever. I'm constantly in awe of the poo poo y'all went through.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So many :smith: quotes from this page. Makes we wanna spray some of them on bus stations and take a b&w picture for some hipster cred.

I never had our own dudes die in my presence. Worst I saw(heard) was a dead girl's broken bone grind against itself. Worst sound I've ever heard. I hope my team saw gunner isn't hosed up from killing half a family playing hot potato with an ak.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

no injuries, no damage but there were body parts everywhere.

:roflolmao:

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

seriously though respect for you dudes that actually did poo poo though, like i'm legit embarrassed to call myself a veteran unless its someone who didn't even enlist or whatever. I'm constantly in awe of the poo poo y'all went through.

loving truth.

vains
May 26, 2004

well, to people that matter

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

ReebTop posted:

One suicide (Iorio), a dumb car accident here in the states (Page), three KIA. Two of them, Hrbek and Lindskog, got the Silver Star; Hall was the third, no idea what happened. Hrbek I think actually got two Silver Stars, saved a bunch of other jarheads a week before stepping on an IED in Afghanistan. Lindskog went out with a QRF to be an extra medic for TIC, ended up getting shot above his side plate. Directed treatment and medevac while laying there. Died in the bird, last one to get loaded, refused to be evac'd before any of the other wounded.

That kid was a weird little nerd in AIT and ended up being the most heroic loving person I've ever known, and that's with 11 years on an ambulance, 10 years in the fire department, and 9 years in the Army.

Iorio? Commo guy, E6 or so, with a New York accent?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Mike-o posted:

I don't know if I just have memory problems or my brain is shutting down a lot of memories. I can remember most faces but have trouble remembering names. I think I just blanked out the memories of most of my deployment to Iraq.

Judging by the other posts in the thread you might be coming out ahead by not remembering most of it.

drat you guys need a drink.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

As Nero Danced posted:

Judging by the other posts in the thread you might be coming out ahead by not remembering most of it.

drat you guys need a drink.

What's ironic is that if you went to college you'd be suffering the same memory problems from too many kegstands and weed

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Suicide Watch posted:

What's ironic is that if you went to college you'd be suffering the same memory problems from too many kegstands and weed

... I think I'm doing college wrong.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Sitting here at this Cheesecake Factory on the rich side of town staring at the bottles of rum at the bar reminds me of the ~Central African nightclub~

I'm pretty sure it's where AIDS came from

So while you can't really poo poo on the French for their unbridled bloodlust when it comes to Francophone countries you quickly notice that most are burnt out alcoholics who would rather be doing blow in Paris than putting up tents and changing out wound dressings next door to a lake that has a loving hippopotamus living in it. So these mother fuckers regularly would go to this ghetto rear end nightclub in the middle of this poo poo gently caress capital city that has people riding horses down the main road and poo poo but we get table service since we are a group of white people but to be honest most of the patrons appear to be white/French anyway.

Really the club is probably nicer than some really bad ones in the U.S it has a pretty good light and sound system and while the drinks were a little pricy they prett much filled up a glass with liquor and then like a spritz of soda or whatever so you got your buzz on pretty quick. The first time we went we went as a whole mobile field surgical group and even our weird Mormon Dr danced and it was all good. The second time we went it was fuckig awful. So the Dr who already got an LOC for banging an enlisted in the middle of the Sahara (lol) wanted to go back to the club and I got voluntold to go along so she doesn't get gang raped or some poo poo so pretty much when we roll up and get our bottle I just start chugging out of it and holy poo poo does this African rum taste like literal butthole but I don't want to be there and it's helping me cope. Long story short I'm somehow still one of the most sober out of our small group of French and Americans so i have to corall our wasted white chick Dr's back into the car that is about to be driven by some drunk French surgeon and apparently at 2am all the disfigured beggars come out so now we got the African walking dead begging outside this car and I'm laughing my rear end off at this kid with one arm because like wtf.

Long story short we all slept in this coed tent with see through walls of the sun hit it just right or you didn't bother to zip your loving zipper up before taking your pants off and I aspirated a ton of that rum the next morning in that tent surrounded by Dr's but played it cool and didn't die or get in trouble.

Africa is cool they call you master like it's the 1800's lmao

http://i.imgur.com/cQZ911z.jpg

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
You don't say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i'm the purple lasers

• Locked thread